Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

350Z vs G35 vs M3 video...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 11:48 PM
DavidM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z vs G35 vs M3 video...

Cool race between the 350Z, G35 coupe and M3 from Best Motorring. It's in Japanese but good to watch as you get to see the straiglhine speed differential between the 350Z and M3. Also you can see nicelly the difference between the 350Z and G35.

http://auto.joins.com/upboard/pds/pdst/g35zm3.avi

ps. It's 79Mb.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:34 AM
frosty

Somebody tell us about it please. ! ! !

@ 45kbps there's no hope of my seeing it!

FROZZLEY
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2004, 03:32 AM
DavidM

Somebody tell us about it please. ! ! !

lol, they start in the order of G35, Zed and M3. M3 is the quickest car on the straights so it eventually gets to the lead. On the other hand the Zed does not have enough grunt to pass the G35 even thoguh it looks to be quicker ... in particular under braking and around corners. So the Zed finished last in the race. Still, it's good to see how much difference ther eis in terms of straighline speed.

Oh, and the ebst lap is set by the M3, which is about 0.5sec quicker than the Zed, which in turn is about 0.3sec quicker than the G35. Though, most of the race the G35 is ahead and holding them up.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:22 AM
lionking

My favorite part was the commentary at the end. Very informative ...... IF YOU SPEAK JAPANESE!!!

It's alway fun to watch the Zed goin' a round a track anyway.

@ 45kbps there's no hope of my seeing it!

Even with cable it took a while to download. 79mb!

Looked like a pretty even race with all 3 cars bunched up most of the time. The M3 finally overtook on the last lap. The 350 did look like it had a bit of an advantage goin' into the corners.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:07 PM
DavidM

Very informative ...... IF YOU SPEAK JAPANESE!!!

Ooops ... I should have mentioned that all the comentary is in Japanese. Sorry about that. Still, it's good to see them go round.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:18 PM
apsilon

Nice vid. M3 clearly had the power advantage and passed on the back straight without too much trouble. The Zed did look the best in the corners with the Skyline next. Shouldn't be too much of a suprise that the Zed and Skyline were a close match, they're virtually the same car under the skin.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:03 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool vid, did you see some of the footwork?

He was using the clutch with the left foot and braking and bliping the revs up with the right at the same time as he was braking.

Basically using all three pedals at once.

Last edited by mchapman; 03-11-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:55 AM
DavidM

Basically using all three pedals at once.

You need to do that if you want to drive fast in order to produce down-changes that do not upset the balance of the car (ie. rev matching). It's called heal & toeing.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:26 AM
mchapman

It's called heal & toeing.

Ahh.. So that's what heel and toeing is, I thought it was a more general term.

Ok, so he's gets to the corner and braking, clutch in, blip throttle(while still braking), release clutch, off brakes and controlled throttle out. And do it all smoothly and match the revs reasonably well during the heel toe action.

How proficient are you at heel and toeing?

Last edited by mchapman; 03-13-2004 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:57 AM
DavidM

Ok, so he's gets to the corner and braking, clutch in, blip throttle(while still braking), release clutch, off brakes and controlled throttle out. And do it all smoothly and match the revs reasonably well during the heel toe action.

Yep, you got it. No reason why you could (and should) not do it in your car. Not only does it make you a quicker and more controlled driver, but also you're helping your clutch and drivetrain live longer. Even when not driving fast, you are putting extra wear on the clutch and drivetrain if you're not heel&toeing.

How proficient are you at heel and toeing?

I've been doing it ever since I can remember and it's part of my everyday driving. I don't think about it a all ... just do it everytime I down-change. Also I rev-match (ie. blip the thottle) if I go from neutral back into gear while rolling.

I'd say most people who go to the track on regular basis heel&toe. I take it that you do not heel&toe (or rev match)?

Last edited by DavidM; 03-13-2004 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:03 PM
harryw

I agree with David. There is no better way to drive your car than heel & toeing!

Not only does it help with drive train longevity it is also, if you do it properly, one of the best sounds you will hear. You'll know when you do it properly by the noise and the smoothness of the down changing.

It does take a bit of practice but once you get the hang it's a breeze, even with size 12 shoes!

As always

H
Old 03-13-2004, 03:22 PM
mchapman

No I havnt tried heel & toeing yet, but I will now!

This is my first manual car. Just before I bought it I hired a manual Ford Ka and brushed up on my manual skills for a day. I did know how to drive a manual previously but I hadnt become as proficient as someone who owned a manual car, and I needed a refresher before I got in my brand new 6MT Zed. So in the two months of driving manual I hadnt picked it up or been exposed to it, but now I have i'll give it my best
Old 03-13-2004, 03:34 PM
ypwpat

i'm still a noob in Heel & toe but i'm getting ok and better
Old 03-13-2004, 09:24 PM
nuff

Do you guys use some special footwear to do hell & toe? For me it's very awkward to do it, I guess it's because of my big feet.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:28 PM
ypwpat

you just wear a thin padding shoe. such as Puma, or Diesel type of shoe.
Don't wear a sport shoe like Nike that have a thick and Airmax between it.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:29 PM
DavidM

Do you guys use some special footwear to do hell & toe? For me it's very awkward to do it, I guess it's because of my big feet.

Makes no difference to me. I'll wear anything from shoes, runners, summer foot wear (whatever the open shoes are called) to being barefoot.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:47 AM
harryw

Nuff, I've got size 12 feet and I can do it easily. It's more the practice than the size of your feet I would suggest.

I do struggle to do it a pair of Colarado's I've got, they have the really chunky soles though.

I also struggle in my stilletos, but that's only on Saturday nights!

As always

H
Old 03-14-2004, 03:00 AM
KY350

I heel and toe when I'm going quickly and when I occasionally get to the track. I'm about 6'3" and I find that the space distance from the seat to the pedals (with the seat all the way back) is just a few inces short of allowing comfortable heel / toe manouvers. My shorter friends think the Z is perfect for heel / toeing.
Also, I believe that the placement of my right foot may lead to the slight discomfort I experience when heel / toeing. I rest my right heel on the carpet adjacent to the break and have my foot externally rotated (ie foot is turned right) towards the accelerator pedal. Is that how others position their right foot when driving.
I think that heel / toeing may be easier if I got used to driving with my heel resting on the carpet over the accelerator and therefore turned my toes internally (that is turn left) to brake. That way, the heel of my foot remains over the accelerator enabling easier heel / toe changes in theory (my theory). Please describe how you place your right foot and heel / toe.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:25 AM
apsilon

I place my foot similar to you Ky, maybe closer to the accelerator. When I heel toe I brake with my toes and blip with my heel. I have a hard time doing it though due to old injuries and for whatever reason find it more difficult in the Zed.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:34 PM
harryw

Jelly, Im like you. I rest my foot in line with the brake pedal. I dont have any trouble (or pain) doing it. I did "have a look" on the drive home from work today and I dont "heel and toe", I "side of the foot and ball of the foot".

That is I use the side of my right foot to blip and the ball of the foot to brake.

Like I said I dont have much trouble with it, size 12 feet, farked right ankle from soccer and so on.

I also forgot to mention, it's like riding a bike. I havent owned a manual car for the last 12 years or so and after a little practice I picked it up again. Just keep practising and it will come as second nature.

As always

H

Quick Reply: 350Z vs G35 vs M3 video...