Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I think Ive been SCREWED!! (please read)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 01:01 AM
wadd3456

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think Ive been SCREWED!! (please read)

Well 3 or so weeks ago I took over a pre-order for a Performance Blue with some options.

We did the order form over the phone, he said what features it had, and then told me it was 32700. This I said "was 1000 MORE then msrp" He goes "you may be right, we will work it out later."

This is not really a GOOD idea in my mind, but he seemed nice enough.

Went in today, talked to the salesman(really nice guy) and asked what the 1000 was for. Asked if we could get the paper work straight now.

He didnt know what it was for so he asked hte manager. I handed him NISSAN's printout for the car and he goes....uhhh its for paint protection.

Dont get me wrong, but they ALL come with that. He said they do! So why am I getting charged for it? He claimed every car on the lot had it....is he implying EVERY car is 1000 more then it should be? Not only that, but NO WHERE on my sheet does it say "paint protection" as an allegid FEATURE.

THen he said they DO THE PAINT PROTECTION on the lot when they get there. I said "THEN DONT DO IT!" Manager said they cant do it, its not policy......"YOUR WELCOME TO TAKE YOUR DEPOSIT BACK AND GO ELSEWHERE!!"

WTF is this. Please tell me im not going insane here. Did you ALL pay 1000 over MSRP for some bogus paint charge? Shoot, they dont even have the facilities to DO ANY paint protection there haha.

PLEASE PLEASE respond. I dont know if I can drop out and wait 6 freekin months for a car i was GOING to have in late OCT!

Thanks
Scott
Old 08-26-2002, 01:04 AM
tbcz

Yes you are being screwed. Boils down to whether or not you're willing to fork over the grand to have the vehicle sooner.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:09 AM
wadd3456

Lightbulb Doh!

Wow.....thankkkkks.

Is there anything I can do? Please say there is.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:12 AM
tbcz

I honestly don't think in your situation there is a whole lot you can do. You can tell them you refuse to pay it, but they can simply go ahead and sell the car to someone else. While NNA has frowned upon gouging by the dealers on the preorders, the issue is clouded somewhat because you're not the original preorderer and they are supposedly providing a "service" for what they're charging you.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:17 AM
wadd3456

Default christ!

They cant come up with the original ORDER sheet....know why..... cause IT DOESNT SAY thats an option anywhere.

Its a bullshyt charge by far. If ramming me up my anus is a service then i dont need service hahah.

So you think Nissan1 can do anything?!
Old 08-26-2002, 01:18 AM
Ricky
Banned

When people hear the word "Mark Up" , it automatically turns bisuness away, and makes their dealership seem like the "rip off" type, so now instead of using that term, they use "Appearence Package" which they say is cleaning the car before delivery, washing it, oil change, ect ect. And "Paint Protection" which they say will protect you from acid rain and such, when the car comes with a 5 year unlimited mileage warrenty against rust anyways.. so yes, you are being ripped off. Tell them you won't pay it, and if they don't lower it, or eliminate it, you will not only not order it, you will tell you cousin not to buy the maxima gle he was planning on buying from that dealership. They know they can sell the Z for the mark up price, but when you say the maxima thing, they will think twice because they have a higher profit on them. ;P
Old 08-26-2002, 01:20 AM
jrreed350togo

The old paint protection scheme strikes again. Where's that guy again who said: 2 guys wiping on wax, 2 guys wiping it off. A five minute job with cheap wax. That'll be 500 dollars please. Charging you a thousand is down right ridiculous. No one has paid for this paint protection they speak of. For everyone here this is the worse example of a dealer trying to gain profit. The worse part is you paying a thousand over is nothing compared to what the next sucker would pay. I say call NNA and complain about this. Make some noise....Get a camera crew for the 6 oclock evening news. Bad business is a Dealerships worse nightmare...I know...don't ask how. Unless you do it they'll continue to add "Paint Protection".
Old 08-26-2002, 01:23 AM
FLZMan

Actually the paint protection is ordinary car wax
Old 08-26-2002, 01:57 AM
mike952

Default Re: Doh!

Originally posted by wadd3456
Wow.....thankkkkks.

Is there anything I can do? Please say there is.
Get him to sign an affidavit saying he applies this special paint protection to all cars and that is unique to his dealership. Then, since we know he doesn't, take him to court and sue him for the $1000 and your legal fees. Of course, he will never sign such and affidavit.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:04 AM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Default Re: Re: Doh!

Originally posted by mike952

Get him to sign an affidavit saying he applies this special paint protection to all cars and that is unique to his dealership. Then, since we know he doesn't, take him to court and sue him for the $1000 and your legal fees. Of course, he will never sign such and affidavit.
Good idea, and/or u could ask to see them apply it so u can see what it is something special, wax, just water spayed on the car, or the more probable nothing.

PM me the dealership I am curious...
Old 08-26-2002, 03:06 AM
wxtornado

Ask him if he'd mind if you watch him apply this "paint protection" - I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with that!
Old 08-26-2002, 03:31 AM
RADZ
Charter Member #39

Default Lancaster Nissan in PA

Lancaster Nissan in PA tried to do the same thing to me. When I told them I did not want them to mess with the car once it came in, they said that the price for the paint protection, undercoating and lug nuts would be assessed whether I wanted the stuff or not. Best thing to do is to walk away and go to someone like Dan Ziegler of Smithtown Nissan.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:43 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

It is doubtful you will be able to get another car at this point for MSRP. Many people paid over MSRP, and 1k is not as bad as what many dealers are charging. You have to decide whether getting the car you want now instead of getting not exactly the car you want some time down the road is worth an extra 3% of the vehicle's price to you. Many would say "don't pay it!" just out of principle, but sometimes you have to do what makes sense.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:50 AM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

Ask the sob...er dealer what the warrenty is on the "paint protectant." Then ask for a copy of it.
I used to work at a dealership that did the samething. All we did was wax the car. Same goes for the "Interior protectant." Scotch Gaurd, charged $250 for it.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:03 AM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with making some noise. Tell the dealer that you a regular in 350z forums and say that you'll mention the name of the dealer, etc. Play hardball, the dealer definately wont appreciate negative publicity.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:12 AM
wadd3456

Default GD!

It is TEAM NISSAN OF MARIETTA GA!!!

This is a complete BOGUS charge and i am NOT sitting quite and watching this crap go down!

Can someone direct me to exactly who i need to speak to at NNA?? Please!

They WILL get a bum rap, starting RIGHT NOW!

Im not willing to leave this deal and try to find another car or pay more for something thats NOT what i want. NO ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM< WHY SHOULD I right?

Thanks guys

Scott
WADD3456 is my aim if you wanna discuss this
Old 08-26-2002, 04:40 AM
rep15

I hate to be the voice of doom but you are caught in the grips of supply and demand. This is not an enviable position for you but I am sure the dealers are eating it up. Nissan now has a car that buyers are beating down their doors for. If you balk another buyer will appear, I am sure - and so are the dealers.

Be it paint protection, second sticker markup, or as one dealer bluntly wrote on my contract - PROFIT (I did not pre-order there) you will pay that amount. The markup is in effect at your dealership; the only question is whether you willing to pay or wait it out. If at this point in negotiations you have gotten nowhere, I would guess you have zero leverage.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:43 AM
wadd3456

Wait, does that mean YOU paid it?

Honestly, if they wanted to they could put a "Blue Midget in the Back Seat removal" fee on the slip and charge me 32,000 for it. Shoot they could put a "bought it on a wednesday" charge and "over 90deg weather" charge on it too haha.

Quick Reply: I think Ive been SCREWED!! (please read)