Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Custom Stock Sub box

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 07:30 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom Stock Sub box

Almost done with my sub box. Built a frame (18"x14"x.75", 2" border) Sits really nice. Fiberglass it so that it sits in the dip. Got all the material from homedepot (Fiber glass cloth, resin and MDF) Aluminum foil the bottom so I don't damage my Fatmat. Cut the cloth in strips (about 3" wide) and layered it left to right and the next layer front to back. Did about 3 layers then took it out to finish. It has about 8 or 9 layers and pour an extra coat of resin on top to finish it up.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Stock Sub box-imga0914.jpg  
Old 05-08-2003, 07:33 PM
alphared

Next, to finish I cut the excess off and sanded the extra resin off so I can use wood glue to hold the top of the box.

The top part was 18x14x4.25, made of rest of the MDF. Wood glue with #6, 1 5/8" Dry wall screws. Used Liquid nail caulk to seal it on the inside. heres a test fit.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Stock Sub box-imga0916.jpg  
Old 05-08-2003, 07:38 PM
alphared

The hole (for my image dynamic 10" sub) was cut all the way to the back, cause the dip in the stock location slopes down so the back has more height than the front (about 8" to top of box) the sub is about 6.5" and the center of the hole has a height of about 7".
I fatmat the inside of the fiberglass to make sure there's no rattle. Going to fatmat the outside of the box when I'm done (tomorrow)

This should be enough volume than the sub require. (calculated about a .6 cu ft internal volume)
Old 05-09-2003, 04:42 AM
jhagan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job.. your box came out neater than mine... I caulked the outside because I had a few air leaks on the top of the box where I could not caulk inside with the gun. Kicker suggests that you push the baffle of the sub in with your hand.. If it rises back to the orignal position in less than I think they say 5 mins.. you have an air leak...

In anycase the sound will be great.. Enjoy.. Once again great idea, for someone who wants great sound on a budget.. total cost of my box was $75 with the purchase of a Dremel that I used to cut the hole for the sub!!! thats the best part
Old 05-09-2003, 09:14 AM
alphared

Yeah, I ended up caulking the outside (on the bottom where the two pieces joined) Couldn't get a good reach (thru the hole) to do a good enought job of sealing it. Going to try that air leak suggestion before I fatmat the outside. I think the fiberglass and resin were the most expensive part of the project (think spent about 60 or more)
Man I thought I was the only one that used a dremel to make the hole (had to but he adapter, but works super well)
Old 05-09-2003, 01:58 PM
alphared

Heres the final product. Fatmat the outside of the box. I tried the 'pushing down the baffle, airleak test' but didn't work. I'm pretty sure theres no leak anywhere (the fatmat would've sealed any possible leak) Plus I tested the Fiberglass part by filling it with water and was no leak. Have to say this sounds very nice. when I crank it up, I got me a massaging chair
Attached Thumbnails Custom Stock Sub box-imga0925.jpg  
Old 07-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Taya

Default Nice Job

alphared - That is really a nice job. Thanks for the info. My sub required 0.4-1.75cf with recommended 0.75, I would like to have about 0.8 for floatter and deeper bass. I figured if I go with
18X12.5X6.5 and with a 0.5 dense wood, that will give me internal volume of 17X11.5X5 = 0.8cf...

I have not dynamat abything.. should I? how much should I buy? and what is critical to dynamt? What is your final external box size? it seems that it fits perfectly... By the way, I managed to bent the brackets all the way so somewhat more room to work around is availabe...

Thanks! and happy listening
Old 07-13-2003, 01:09 AM
alphared

hmmm, depending on the wattage and how much bass you want out, 1/2" mdf might not be strong enough. I used 3/4" mdf for my box. I don't crank the sub to the max, but I figure with the thicker mdf there wouldn't be any flex even if I did max it out or crack from the force. Dynamat isn't required. I used it cause I had it. If you get any vibrations you would need it (you might get some from the bracket that you bent or from the small storage box if sub fires up) the stock sub face bracket (the one with the stock sub hole in it) might vibrate too.
If you do buy dynamat, I say about 10-15 sq feet would be more than enought to cover that area. (i used fatmat, cheaper)
On tip, Measure often! you might be able to get more height by bending the bracket back, but don't make it so high that you can't put it in. with my box I had to do some weird angles to get the box in.

Good luck on the box.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:42 AM
Taya

Default Box size

Thanks. If I go with 1/2 inch wood that would probably not be an MDF but a much denser one, forgot the name now... I do not know how it will sound though... different wood equal diff sound... I guess I should but fatmat? where is that coming from is CC has some? I am using a very small amp 150W RMS to power the sub, I do not need more as am not using any amp for the speakers and the sub sounds good in the car (with other box tried)...
The question now is either to go with a 3/4 MDF and have a 0.6cf box or 1/2 denser wood and have a 0.8cf box (both internal sizes)... my sub requires 0.75...
Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:50 AM
jhagan

I would just go with the MDF.. since you are not putting a lot of power to the sub.. if you ever upgrade.. you wont have to make a new box...Trust me.. @.5cf the box still sounds nice... go a .5 inch wider and make it bigger than .5cf..

good luck... you'll be happy.. trust me..
Old 10-30-2003, 05:24 AM
Jeff Holt

Default How did you get the panel off to expose all of that?

I was looking last night and couldnt figure it out. does everything else have to come off first? TIA

Originally posted by alphared
Next, to finish I cut the excess off and sanded the extra resin off so I can use wood glue to hold the top of the box.

The top part was 18x14x4.25, made of rest of the MDF. Wood glue with #6, 1 5/8" Dry wall screws. Used Liquid nail caulk to seal it on the inside. heres a test fit.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:42 AM
jhagan

Yea.. in that pic. .everything is removed.. all panaling in the rear and center console moved up.. in order to release the panel across the read over the sub..
Old 10-30-2003, 06:10 PM
alphared

yep what jhagan said. Pretty much to take the panels off that area, everything from the rearstrut to the dash has to be taken off. Do a search, there are plenty of how-to's.

Basically, both side strips, both side panels (where the seat belts are), The center armrest. The you can pull that big panel off and reveal all you see in there pics there

I remove all panels to put Fatmat to stop vibrations. and install stuff. Makes it easier.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:30 AM
Jeff Holt

Thanks guys, I'm going to tear into it this weekend. Well, maybe not tear into it
Old 08-02-2004, 08:24 PM
63zora

Default how do you all like the sub placement?

I realize this in an old thread, but its exactly what I am about to do so I would appreciate your help. I just want to know your opinion of the sound quality and if you are still happy with the placement behind the seat. I love the idea of using that secluded area behind the seat instead of taking up space and making the box visible to theifs. I'm not looking for huge bass, but I want clean sound. From the earlier posts you all seem to be pleased... just thought I'd ask how it is now. Also if you have any suggestions for the installation. Thanks alot.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:25 PM
350ztoronto

does anyone sell these?!?! i have a ZR and im too lazy to make a custom box =D
and toronto has no audio shops that can do this setup =(
Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by 350ztoronto
does anyone sell these?!?! i have a ZR and im too lazy to make a custom box =D
and toronto has no audio shops that can do this setup =(
Dude,.. What are you talking about? There are CRAZY audio shops in T.O. Even Future Shop would do a custom glass box for you. Look up Audio Design in Marham. Ask for Tom, tell him Andre with the Z sent you. He'll make your car sound dope, but you gotta' pay to play.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:31 AM
350ztoronto

thx man, gonna go search for them, now i dun have to install the system myself =D