Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Removed stock muffler, sounds just like twin turbo supra with exhuast!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 06:33 PM
03daytonablue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed stock muffler, sounds just like twin turbo supra with exhaust!

I was thinking about the stock exhaust system on my 350Ztrack and thought that it should sound pretty damn good unbolting the muffler. Wow!! it sounds just like a twin turbo supra with aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited by 03daytonablue; 09-07-2003 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:46 PM
koba8

Neither Porsches nor BMWs have V6s. 911s have a boxer six, or flat six, (different names for the same type of engine), and BMWs have straight sixes. There is a big difference between those types of engines and a V6.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:02 AM
supra crazy

Originally posted by koba8
Neither Porsches nor BMWs have V6s. 911s have a boxer six, or flat six, (different names for the same type of engine), and BMWs have straight sixes. There is a big difference between those types of engines and a V6.

same thing i was gonna say
Old 03-16-2003, 08:50 AM
99AllTurbo

03daytonablue,
Damn! I did the same after reading your post (I was bored OK!)and all I can say is DAMN!!

It took 5 mins, and you don't even need to jack up the Z. Just use a 14mm deep socket to remove the nuts. Just pull the mid pipe away from the muffler and you're done.

I turned on the Z and the exhaust had a nice low hum, but a little louder than stk. I didn't rev it up till I drove away (didn't want to be too loud cause it was about 9am).

I took it out on an open road and half throttle was loud but it sounded really, really low just like the Supra TT.

I then proceded to go WOT and I was like HOLY ****! The Z sounded sick! I was really impressed with the sound of the Z when bypassing the muffler. It's a bit loud, but far from sounding like a fart can like on the Hondas and other n/a cars.

I connected the muffler back on for now. I'm first gonna cut the resonator and then get a cat-back. Just wanted to give some feedback on this easy mod. I can't say the car felt faster. It wasn't warmed up much though. it just sounded really mean.

I have heard many Supras with 3" and 4" exhaust and this is the first car to sound anything close to a it.

It's worth trying.

Last edited by 99AllTurbo; 03-16-2003 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:16 AM
AKAkracker247

Sound clips?
Old 03-16-2003, 10:20 AM
03daytonablue

Sorry I did not want to get that technical, I was just trying to explain that the Z with the muffler off sounds like a deep, mean, 6 or 8 cylinder motor thats all. like the other guy said who had tried this eazy mod it sounds like the supra tt with exhaust.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:29 AM
03daytonablue

If you try this make sure you connect the small ground cable back to the mid pipe with a nut and bolt. I took the car into 2 different muffler shops, both shops said that the ground cable had to be connected because it sends a signal or pulse back to the ECU which was critical for performance ect.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:30 AM
joeshow750

03daytonablue,
Do you have your resonater/pre-silencer removed?
Old 03-16-2003, 11:08 AM
03daytonablue

No way!!! Everything is still all stock all the way back, I just removed the muffler, and reconnected the small ground cable with a nut and bolt. If you remove the pre-silencer it will give you a very raw loud raspy honda fart can sound. Im not making fun of hondas with exhaust, but I cannot stand the high pitch, raspy, buzzing bee, lawnmower sound, of ((some not all)) of the after market exhaust systems for hondas. I think the ideal exhaust for the Z would be to remove the muffler only, then add another small pre-silencer to the existing one, following with a 2.5" Y joint and then two 2.5" pipes back to your stock tips. I personally think it would then have the perfect amount of back pressure giving you good horsepower and torque, lighter wieght than stock, and the sound that most people would die for. Please remember to reconnect the small ground cable, with nut and bolt, to your mid-pipe where it was originally connected to, after removing the muffler.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:45 PM
lemansz

ok, i was bored too so i gave it a shot but man i couldnt get the mid pipe away from the muffler, its like the dam thing is welded together. Did you remove the muffler or just seperate it from the mid pipe?
Old 03-16-2003, 02:17 PM
joeshow750

I gave it a shot too, but I frickin' don't know where my 14mm deep well is . I tried it with a 14mm open end, but those nuts are on there tight.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:29 PM
03daytonablue

I used 2 or 3 different size sockets and unbolted everything even the hangers which was the hardest part. You should use the deep socket to remove the muffler from the mid pipe because there is (3) nuts you have to remove not just (2). The last nut after removing the ground cable is pretty deep. Also I had the car jacked up on the rear drivers side so I could get under the car its much easier. I dont suggest removing the entire muffler unless you plan on getting an after market exhaust or custom exhaust. It would be a pain in the *** getting the muffler back on
Old 03-17-2003, 03:54 AM
99AllTurbo

I just pulled the mid-pipe away from the muffler after removing the 3 nuts. I did not remove the mid-pipe completely. I didn't bolt the ground wire back on becuase I knew I was only driving for a couple of miles.

Unfortunately I don't have a digital video camera so I can't take videos or provide sound clips. It only takes a few minutes to take off and few more to put back on. Just try it.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:59 AM
03daytonablue

From what Im hearing from people locally who have tried this, is if you do unbolt the stock muffler to try it out, it is important that you bolt the small ground cable back to the mid pipe or you will lose torque and horsepower due to your ECU not recieving a signal it gets from the ground cable.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:23 AM
99AllTurbo

I'm gonna try and get some video (analog video) tomorrow and give it to my buddy to edit. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:03 PM
NittoZ
Charter Member #65

Ok guys, i dont mean to sound dumb, but exactly how do you do this mod to where you can drive around without damaging anything? I'm at work so I havent looked under the car yet, but I was just wondering.

NittoZ
Old 03-18-2003, 03:40 AM
99AllTurbo

There's nothing to damage. All you are doing is unbolting the mid pipe from the muffler and seprating them. You don't remove them from the car.

As for the ground strap, I don't know for sure if it's vital to the ECU for proper signal operation, but just to be safe it should be bolted back on while testing.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:09 PM
msink

So, could we develop an exhaust like the one I designed for the MR2 Turbo seen here?

http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/~toy4two/images/rms/

Mark
Old 03-19-2003, 03:54 AM
99AllTurbo

I would say yes. I thought the exact same thing , but I prefer to get an exhaust with mufflers that has been tested and that makes power.

This is just for fun.

I made several runs on the street yesterday with the muffler unbolted (ground strap bolted up) and the car still felt as fast as it did with the muffler bolted on.

I even raced my brother in his 92 Talon AWD and pulled on him pretty quickly (put his front bumper at my rear bumper). We went from a 2nd gear roll at about 3k rpm. I shifted to third and was still in front but we had to let off becuase we didn't have much room ahead.

He has intake, turbo-back exhaust, fuel pump, S-AFC and about 15psi.

I guess someone would have to dyno the Z to see if we would lose power this way. I know I lost some low-end response, but it still pulled at the top.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:43 PM
TampaBayNSX-R

I crawled under the back of the car and removed two nuts and a ground wire but was unable to feel for a "third" nut or bolt. I ran my finger all the way around the flange and only felt the two studs from which I had removed the two nuts. Where is this third nut/bolt?

Quick Reply: Removed stock muffler, sounds just like twin turbo supra with exhuast!