Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

My new sub enclosure (finally done)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 08:16 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My new sub enclosure (finally done)...

Well this thread is dedicated to the hard work and effort put into my custom fiberglass sub enclosure. I wanted to create something custom, for my JL Audio 10W6, but did not want to sacrifice space or hatch area. I also decided that I did not want to use the stock Bose sub location, as I felt it did not provide enough distance from the listener for good bass. I am sort of an audio guru, so I knew I wanted the sub facing up and loaded off of the hatch. I also knew the exact volume and depth requirements for my subs, as I have been a long time fan of JL Audio's gear. I also knew I wanted something that no one else has, and that this project would take some effort.

So, for everyone's benefit, I took alot of pictures along the way demonstrating my process in coming up with this design. I would guess that I have at least 20+ hours in this design, from start to finish. This was my first ever fiberglass project, so the whole process would probably go quicker in the future, but the first time was not easy...

All I have left to do now, is order the exact match carpet or vinyl covering from Select Products, who supplies materials for custom installs. I am also waiting to hear back from JL Audio as to whether a 10W6 V2 will fit in this enclosure. Most likely the top will be carpetted, and the carpet will be an exact match to the trunk liner carpet, so the install will look factory once completed.

I will attach all of pictures of the steps involved below....

HAVE FUN !
Old 02-22-2003, 08:20 AM
onecoolee

I started by gutting the hatch, and lining the area which will house the enclosure with a 1/2" foam buffer. By using this, my final molded enclosure would not exceed the size of the area I wanted to fit it in. I also used a roll of masking tape to cover the foam...you will see why in the next couple pictures.
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-tape3.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:21 AM
onecoolee

Final tape job...
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-tape.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:23 AM
onecoolee

Once the area was completely masked, I used great stuff, in 1" thick layers, where each was allowed to sure for 5 or so hours, before the next was applied. This made a great mold which was exactly the shape of my area...
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-great_stuff.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:25 AM
onecoolee

More mold building...
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-mold1.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:27 AM
onecoolee

Once I got the area built up to the top, where I would want to attach the top baffle of mdf material to hold the speaker, I made a pattern from cardboard of the exact shape of the baffle...
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-pattern1.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:28 AM
onecoolee

Here is the completed mold...
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-mold2.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:30 AM
onecoolee

Next, I covered the mold with Aluminum foil. This was to prevent the fiberglass resin from sticking to the mold. Here is the foil covered mold...
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-foiled.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:35 AM
onecoolee

Next I used Fiberglass cloth and resin to cover the enitre foil covered mold. I used several layer, at least 4 or 5 to cover the entire mold (except for the top). The final thickness was about 1/4-3/8 thick. THis made sure that the finished enclosure would fit in my designated area. I used 2 gallons of fiberglass resin ($25 each), and 4 packs of fiberglass cloth ($5 each).

Here is the finished box with the top attached (with fiberglass and resin). After the top was attached, the entire mold was cut out of the inside. THis required scraping, and cutting, but I was able to remove all of the foam mold.

Here is the enclosure with the top on:
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-top.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:39 AM
onecoolee

Next, I wanted to create a special molded top to protect the speaker from anything that could ever be in the hatch. To do this I cut 2 trim rings, the bottom being larger in daiamter, and built a conical trim ring to cover the hole in the top of the enclosure. After the trim rings were glued and screwed down, I used Bondo to make a nice formed transition from the baffle of the box to the top of the trim ring. After the initial sanding I had to fill in the small pits in the bondo with Wood putty. I sanded like a maniac by and and with a belt sander, and here is what I got...
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-trim_ring-and-bondo.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:44 AM
onecoolee

My original intentions were to paint this enclosure to match the interior. I changed my mind once it was finished, and instead, I will be using a textured vinyl or caret to match the factory Frost Leather interior. Here is a picture of the enclosure with the JL 10W6 subwoofer mounted and the box in a primered state. The custom vinyl or carpet will be special ordered, and the project will be done ! The factory carpet will be tucked under the false floor of the trunk, but the upgraded trunk liner carpet will be cut to the front of the enclosure for a seamless fit (not done yet).

Here is the almost finished project...
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-done1.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:45 AM
onecoolee

Once more picture from a different angle of the hatch. I will post the final picture once the top of the enclosure is covered.
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-done2.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:48 AM
onecoolee

In combination with my 2 Phoenix Gold amps and JL Audio speakers up front...this sounds AMAZING...

Here is my amp rack:
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-amp_rack.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:49 AM
onecoolee

And my stealth Audio Control EQX-II install (in the glove box, under the false floor)...
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-eqx2_closeup1.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:51 AM
onecoolee

And last but not least...my new Pioneer Premier DEH-P840MP head unit...this head unit has alot of features and a great sound...not to mention a great appearance.
Attached Thumbnails My new sub enclosure (finally done)...-headunit_closeup_closed1.jpg  
Old 02-22-2003, 08:59 AM
onecoolee

The cost...as I am sure you are all wondering. Well, since I did all of the work myself, I saved a load of money. I also used internet online retailers for purchase of most of my components. They had quick delivery, but as for customer support...who knows, lets just hope I picked some reliable equipment.

Pioneer Premier DEH-P840MP Head Unit - $320
Premier 12 Disc changer - $150
Phoenix Gold Tantrum 400.4 - $175
Phoenix Gold ZX600ti - $400
Audio Control EQX-II (EQ/xover) - $150
JL Audio XR650CSi seperates up front - $250
JL Audio VR650 Coaxs in back - $150
JL Audio 10W6 sub - $150
custom fiberglass enclosure materials - $125
Phoenix Gold 1.2F cap - $100
Phoenix Gold interconnects/protection/power distribution - $100

So, about $2k in equipment, and I would guess in the range of at least $1k-1500 in labor costs at a reputable shop.

Needless to say, I am proud of the finished product, and very happy with the sound. I can say that I completed this install from start to finish and its kind of funny...the local Tweeter offered me a job when they saw this isntall. Too bad I am happy (and making alot more money) at my other job

I hope everyone appreciates the step-by step sub enclosure design pictures, and maybe some will find it useful...
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (01-23-2019)
Old 02-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post! This is sure to help out anyone that gets as "frustated" as you appeared to be getting, waiting for the other sub enclosure to be done (no one's fault, just a lengthy process). Be sure to post "final" pictures (and where you obtained the custom vinyl/carpet).
Old 02-22-2003, 11:16 AM
bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good and clean install! I am hoping to do something similar to my Z when I finally get it this summer
Old 02-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Ludecrew

wow, very nice keep up the good work!
Old 02-22-2003, 08:00 PM
rouxeny

Impressive. Nice job on the sub box.

Quick Reply: My new sub enclosure (finally done)...