Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Stero Install Part 2 w/pics

Old 01-25-2003, 12:18 PM
FBlade1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stero Install Part 2 w/pics

Well finally had the subs installed last night. For a complete list of components and part 1 of the install follow this link:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=16722

One sub was mounted in the factory bose location and the other was installed behind the passenger. I ordered a second sub mounting bracket from Courtosy for 20.00 which bolted right into the factory holes after removing the storage compartment. No additional drilling was nessesary. Plenty of dynomat was used on the inside of the compartments which helped tighten up the sound. The final result a very clean sounding system with plenty of punch but not overpowering. I couldn't be happier! Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Stero Install Part 2 w/pics-amp1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Mamiph (08-14-2019)
Old 01-25-2003, 12:19 PM
FBlade1

Here are the subs going in.
Attached Thumbnails Stero Install Part 2 w/pics-sub-mount-1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2003, 12:20 PM
FBlade1

The finished product!
Attached Thumbnails Stero Install Part 2 w/pics-finished-subs-1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2003, 12:23 PM
FBlade1

Another Z getting an awesome install at the same time. I will leave the details to him.
Attached Thumbnails Stero Install Part 2 w/pics-2-z-s.jpg  

Last edited by Jill; 01-25-2003 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:25 PM
AAAA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW looks great, real clean stealth install. How does it sound, is the sound deadened by the seats? great job
Old 01-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Jill

Riley-
Is that better? I took out the license plate for the most part. Nice meeting you today.
-Jill
Old 01-25-2003, 01:20 PM
alphared

what kind of JL subs are those? Is that the Amp in back of the sub too?
Old 01-25-2003, 01:45 PM
FBlade1

AAAA- The sound is great and not deadened by the seats.

ZGirl- It was nice meeting you today too! Wow you made it home fast! Thanks so much for editing the picture...thats perfect...I don't think the other owner would have appreciated a partial license plate shot on the forum.

Alphared- The subs are freeair JL audio IB4's. The amp is a Kicker 02Kx5503 and is mounted behind the sub. It's running 65 watts to each set of fronts and 200 watts to each sub. The headunit is powering the rears. The system has a nice frontal soundstage with minimal sound coming from the rear speakers.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Powerband

That dual sub install looks excellent! I need to ask you if the cutout for the sub behind the passenger seat was already there or did you have to cut it out. In essence, does the Z have a factory cutaway behind both seats ready for a dual sub install?
Old 01-25-2003, 05:42 PM
Powerband

Sorry, I just looked at the picture and submitted my last post. After I ready what you did, no need to answer my previous question.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Qbnmissile

Impressive setup... Is it tight sounding or are you going for SPL?
Old 01-25-2003, 06:44 PM
FBlade1

Originally posted by Powerband
That dual sub install looks excellent! I need to ask you if the cutout for the sub behind the passenger seat was already there or did you have to cut it out. In essence, does the Z have a factory cutaway behind both seats ready for a dual sub install?

Good question. There was one thing that needed some cutting. There were no precut holes behind the passenger seat for the Bose grill so installer had to cut about six holes out for the grill tabs to snap into. Everything else lined up and just needed bolts to fasten in place. For the person that didn't want subs behind the seats and wanted extra storeage space I imagine that you could purchase a compartment and put it behind the driver as well.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:52 PM
FBlade1

Originally posted by Qbnmissile

Thanks! The bass is tight. I listen to a variety of music including a lot dance and all of it sounds good at low or high volume. My goal of the system was a well balanced one that has great mids and highs and a nice punch to accompany it. I achieved my goal!
Old 01-25-2003, 07:27 PM
gaseous

Originally posted by Qbnmissile
FBlade1 was nice enough to allow me to sit and listen to his setup today at the meet. The system sounded great, with a clear and crisp component front accompanied by tight and clean thumps from the subs.

I was most impressed and I've been wondering how subs in the stock positions would sound. Now I know! They sound great.

Thanks again Riley.

- Thai
Old 01-25-2003, 08:35 PM
FBlade1

Originally posted by gaseous
FBlade1 was nice enough to allow me to sit and listen to his setup today at the meet. The system sounded great, with a clear and crisp component front accompanied by tight and clean thumps from the subs.

I was most impressed and I've been wondering how subs in the stock positions would sound. Now I know! They sound great.

Thanks again Riley.

- Thai

Thai,

I didn't realize that you were "gaseous"!? Did you tell me and I didn't catch on? Well anyway thank you for the complement and it was very nice to meet you. After looking back at our previous conversation I would bring your car to Towson, the installer there is excellent. Wait until you see what he did with the other Z next to mine in the install bay!! I'm sure we will cross paths again in the next meet.

Riley
Old 01-27-2003, 05:08 AM
gaseous

Originally posted by FBlade1
Thai,

I didn't realize that you were "gaseous"!? Did you tell me and I didn't catch on? Well anyway thank you for the complement and it was very nice to meet you. After looking back at our previous conversation I would bring your car to Towson, the installer there is excellent. Wait until you see what he did with the other Z next to mine in the install bay!! I'm sure we will cross paths again in the next meet.

Riley
I agree with you there.

I'd definitely head up to the Towson shop as the installer did a great job on your car. After our meet I went to the Tweeter in Columbia and I wasn't impressed. I came away with the thought that I wouldn't want to hand over my car to them unfortunately.

I'm planning my system now and will start its implementation in 2 months or so.

Last edited by gaseous; 01-27-2003 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:28 PM
dam294

That is a very nice install. But everyone remember that subs that fire towards the rear of the car are always going to sound better and produce more thump.

I have 2 JL 8"'s in a custom box under the brace bar. Lost a bit of storage space but the bar makes it difficult to get anything of size in there anyway.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:11 AM
jabroney12

Can you post a pic of that, I actualy got 2 10s under strut bar and fit perfectly. Pics will go up later tonight.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:08 PM
dam294

I will, but can't yet. No digital cam. I have a scannner but that's a long story. I'll get pics posted soon. I want you guys to see my custom face plate on the stereo too. It's painted Daytona Blue same as the exterior.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:26 PM
shagpa

Originally posted by jabroney12
Can you post a pic of that, I actualy got 2 10s under strut bar and fit perfectly. Pics will go up later tonight.
YES! I'd be very interested in seeing this ;-)

I do have one 12 behind my seat in the custom cut out..but its just not cutting it for me ;-( I'm thinking of doing the 10's thing!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stero Install Part 2 w/pics