Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 11:37 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Ok guys now that the board is running again. Had a good visit up at Turbonetics today. Big thanks to Brad over there. VERY good host..Got to see some very cool stuff today. Of course the one everyone wants to know about the 350Z kit. Let me start by saying G...O...D...D...A..M..N. Holy **** is not a strong enough word. This thing is insane. Kit is gorgeous. All the piping is perfectly routed and the appearance with the hood down is very stealthy. You have tol knowingly look for the intercooler to see it. Once you open the hood bring a bib to wipe up the drool. Well pics are worth a thousand words so here you go... One final note... I would be vry gracious if you did not make fun of my Jesus/Goddamns/and Holy ***** from the video. Initially I was all stoked to ride in the car and then when Brad REALY got on it it was more of a HOly Mother of GOd I'm going to die event. You'll see in the first couple minutes of the video. Of course that was going ***** to the walls. Normal driving this kit is AWESOMe. Drive and idles like stock (actually it idles better then my N/A Z). You are in boost by 3k RPMs. Full boost by 4K RPMs. Without further ado...

And videos... Pt 1: http://www.imagestation.com/video/pl...?id=4143609603

Pt2: http://www.imagestation.com/video/pl...?id=4143608244

Pt3: http://www.imagestation.com/video/pl...?id=4143607578
Old 09-17-2004, 11:40 PM
MIAPLAYA

PS if you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. FYI:

Car is completely stock except for Tanabe springs and this turbo kit. Stock headers, exhaust, everything. This kit bolts into the header outlet where your cats would be and also replaces the y pipe. The desgner of this kit say a knowledgeable individual should be able to install this kit in 10 hours. This kit does have the TS reflash. This turbo is capable of over 650 RWHP and they are considering doing a tuner kit. I'll let Brad further explain those details later on. Enjoy. Hopey you likes.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:48 PM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One word....AMAZING!

Thanks again Rob!
Old 09-17-2004, 11:51 PM
accordfreak

hahha thanks for the review!! the videos are great.. looks like you guys had fun playing around with some cars. Do you have any more pictures? did they have they have the kit on display outside of the car?
Old 09-18-2004, 01:40 AM
350zkuwait

kit price ??
Old 09-18-2004, 03:57 AM
Conceyted

Any ideas of the numbers it car puts down? With an exhaust upgrade that thing will SCREAM. Also are you running external o2 dumps or are they internal?
Old 09-18-2004, 04:35 AM
twenzel

umm... just curious, but wouldnt running the charge pipe over the exhaust side of the turbo heat the air going into the engine. This looks like it would be negating anything the intercooler is doing.

Other than that the kit looks awesome. I'd rather have a single turbo myself.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:41 AM
booger

couldnt get the video
Old 09-18-2004, 05:17 AM
tig488

where do i send my check?
Old 09-18-2004, 07:18 AM
daytona350z

how much psi does the "stock" kit run?
also, if i think about this, how the kit bolts up to the header outlet of the cats, would it be possible to run some type of headers on this thing?

this is an interesting design.
any idea on pricing?
Old 09-18-2004, 07:42 AM
DBZ33

I want this kit right now!!! I hope they make a tuner kit.

Also thanks to MIAPLAYA for taking the time to take pictures and video of the car.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:52 AM
little_rod

Great pictures, still trying to get all the videos to work for me, lol. Guess my computer is too slow, although I do have dsl.

I did see that you said that it is at full boost at 4k rpms and from the videos I have seen you say it has midrange power, but the power curve that was posted seems to show otherwise. If it is at full boost at 4k rpms, the power curve should show something there. Now I know it was an early dyno and such, but really not too much can be done to it other than going with a different size turbo.

Also, how was the turbo as far as lag?? With the single being so far away from the exhaust and such, this is a concern and maybe a little of the reason for the power curve.

Thanks in advance for any insights. It seems to be an interesting alternative to the TT/SC debate, with its own advantages and disadvantages. If it can compete with the price level of the SCs, then they really will have a winner.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:00 AM
damen

nice vids. i wonder will the same kit work on a G35?
Old 09-18-2004, 11:28 AM
phile

Thanks for posting your accounts and the vid. It sounds like a solid setup. How much hp is it putting down again?

I have another question. What is the difference between a "tuner kit" and the normal kit? I mean, the normal version is obviously tunable also...
Old 09-18-2004, 11:38 AM
islandsnow

do you have pics of the piping from the headers, that's what i would like to see, do both exhausts end up into one pipe to the turbo and then split back into duals again later? Might need a custom catback? Where do the O2 sensors go? Otherwise this kit is hot.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:08 PM
myz8a4re

where do i sign, looks beautiful. looks as though the piping is jethot coated, very nice!

-justin
Old 09-18-2004, 12:54 PM
MIAPLAYA

Ok let me try to answer everybody:

First MSRP for the kit looks like ~$5000 so street price should be comparable to the Vortech kit.

Unfortunately I was not able to take pics of the bottom side of the kit. The guy was already going out of his way to let me check it out and I didn't want to further impose. However in talking with the designer of the kit the stock exhaust manifolds do not get touched. The kit bolts into the outlet where your cats would normally be. Therefore headers should work ok if you have them. AS for what they would do...not sure. They would be flowing more exhuast gas so possibly a bit faster spool up? Brad may want to chime in here (Turbonetics).
The charge pipe is in its location due to necessity but as you can say the exhaust is heat wrapped very well. I do not have any intake temp readings but I can tell you this much. At no point yesterday did I feel the car slow down even one minute bit. I do not think heat soak was a factor and it was a hot day too. Once again Brad may be able to chime in here was some precise info.

This kit put down 409 at 8PSI on the dyno. The car in its current form yesterday was sitting at 385~ HP. The final numbers will be determined based on tuning. Talked the designer yesterday and from what I understand the tuning was finished last night to get it at 11.5:1 across the board. Turbonetics will of course release the final numbers soon. However as mentioned by the deisginer yesterday this turbo is good for over 650. And during my time yesterday Brad mentioned that no turbo is prebuilt at Turbonetics. They buil each one specific for each kit/customer. So if you want more power I'm sure they would be happy to accomodate you. That is the answer to the next question. What is the tuner kit (if they do indeed sell one) The tuner kit is essentially this kit minus the TS reflash. The cost will be lower but you will need to provide your own tuning method.

As for the G35...since Brad (the vp of Turbonetics) just bought a G35 himself you can be pretty much guranteed there will be a version for the G coming out soon as well.

Exhust system. Heres the deal. If you have a y pipe back exhaust you're good. This kit replaces ONLY the cats and stock y pipe. The dump tube from the turbo bolts to the factory midpipe. If you have true duals you have to switch them out for a y pipe back or go custom. All the numbers and driving I did yesterday was on the stock exhuast sans y pipe and cats.

I think thats everyone. Let me know if I missed something. I'm sure Brad will be on here Monday to answer a bunch more.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

Oh btw in the production version all intake piping is going to be powder coated chrome black. Similar to the Nismo intake but WAY more shiny. You have to see the color to know what I mean. Its absolutely gorgeous.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:59 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by little_rod
Great pictures, still trying to get all the videos to work for me, lol. Guess my computer is too slow, although I do have dsl.

I did see that you said that it is at full boost at 4k rpms and from the videos I have seen you say it has midrange power, but the power curve that was posted seems to show otherwise. If it is at full boost at 4k rpms, the power curve should show something there. Now I know it was an early dyno and such, but really not too much can be done to it other than going with a different size turbo.

Also, how was the turbo as far as lag?? With the single being so far away from the exhaust and such, this is a concern and maybe a little of the reason for the power curve.

Thanks in advance for any insights. It seems to be an interesting alternative to the TT/SC debate, with its own advantages and disadvantages. If it can compete with the price level of the SCs, then they really will have a winner.
Well as far as I'm concerned turbo lag wasn't a big factor. At 3k RPMs where were already running in boost. At 4k we were getting a full 8 pounds...let me know if you cant get the vids. I can aim them to you or something.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:00 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by booger
couldnt get the video
Did you get an error. PM me an AIM sn and I can Aim it to you if you want.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos