Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need 'Silver Turn Signal Bulbs'? Look Here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:35 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im curious, any of you guys have an infrared heat sensor?

I do, but no bulbs to test. might just be good to compare stock blinking for a minute vs evostyle blinking for a minute. just to be sure they dont have the same overheating issues as APC.

from what Ive seen, they should have no such issues. just a thought though.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:27 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ares, I felt the bulb after it was blinking a few times (tested to make sure it was securely in before i put back in the housing) and it got pretty damn hot. Definitely felt warmer than the stock bulb.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:58 PM
juhko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird suggestion - as nobody has yet posted anything about any problems arising from heating issues.
Are they one of your competitors or something?
Old 02-22-2004, 08:21 AM
silverstoneTT

Okay guys, dont think im complaining, just posting so people are aware and for some info, i was on my way home and put the blinker on to turn left and my blinker light on the inside was blinking very rapidly. turned it off and on again and it was working fine. happened twice on my way home...odd, are they using less power or something?

as for the brightness, i can deal. They do look good though.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:00 AM
350zluvr

It sounds to me as though when you where installing the bulbs and the bulb came loose from the housing, that might have damaged it. Wait to get the replacement in and hopefully you shouldn't have this problem anymore. Sorry to hear your having so much trouble with your bulbs.

BTW, the Evovision bulbs run at the same wattage as stock = 21w. This is the main reason I chose Evostyle for their bulbs as they should not burn hotter and therefore are safer for our housings. However, after DJK's response to having them feel hotter than stock get me interested in this issue. If someone does have an infrared heat measure please post here and either contact Ares for comparison to of Evovision bulbs to stock ones.

Last edited by 350zluvr; 02-22-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:24 AM
juhko

Default It's pretty obvious, isn't it?

You're all missing something fundamental that comes right out of what 350zluvr posted as EVOstyle's response to the power output question.

Of course they are going to be warmer! They have a silver coating on them! The response that 350zluvr got made this clear, it's just that the power is kept at stock so that it doesn't get ridiculously hot.

Think of it like this, if you had two bulbs running at stock power, one with a silver (presumably metal) coating and one without, which will be hotter? Now remember that's exactly what we do have...
Old 02-22-2004, 01:20 PM
ares
Veteran

Originally posted by juhko
Weird suggestion - as nobody has yet posted anything about any problems arising from heating issues.
Are they one of your competitors or something?
sorry, I really didnt mean to come off negative in that post. only reason I suggested it was that other bulb makers have had such heat issues and some people have had issues with the additional heat affecting their housings. I really didnt mean to sound condescending or anything; they do look great, and Im sure perform fine.

according to the stats, these should be perfectly fine at 21w. and hopefully that is true. I dont know how hot is too hot. of course they will be warm, Ive measured the stockers before so I knew what was safe atleast for my own work. they run at 270degrees give or take.

if anyone has them at the GA meet in 3 weeks Ill bring the gun and we'll see what they register, just for assurance.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:26 PM
350zluvr

Juhko, what you are saying is correct. Anything with a silver coating will contain the heat longer and therefore absorb more heat. I would just like to know how big of a temperature difference there is between the two. I'm just afraid that a big enough difference in temperature might permanently damage our housings.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:41 PM
juhko

Default Of course!

Hell, I would like to know too!

I highly doubt there is anyway to know what temperature would be damaging unless we took a heat gun to it or something - so who wants to put up their light housing as the guinea pig?

Since there has only been like one person complain about their housings looking foggy or whatever (from those APC bulbs) the best thing to do would just install the APCs on one side and the EVOvisions on the other and see if the EVOvisions run cooler after 10 secs of blinking.

Other than that we might just end up scaring ourselves into paranoia if (as expected) the EVOvisions run at a higher temp.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:26 PM
CatastrophZZ

arent they illegal? at least in MD it is. lights in the front can only be amber+white, rear is red+amber+white(back-up light).
Old 02-22-2004, 02:44 PM
___DJK___

Originally posted by CatastrophZZ
arent they illegal? at least in MD it is. lights in the front can only be amber+white, rear is red+amber+white(back-up light).
They blink amber, how is that illegal?

350zluvr, I am honestly not worried about heat issues. They felt warmer than stock, but not warm enough to be a problem though. Who knows, Id be interested to see the results of the infared thermometer myself.

Last edited by ___DJK___; 02-22-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:19 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

DJK..........

I felt like doing to the rear-bulbs, what your AVATAR is doing! Is that M. Douglas in that movie where he was "fed up"?

At any rate, YES! The Evo's do not blink as bright as stock, but surely bright enough. They are more amber and less yellow IMO. But again, they are fokin hard as shiz to install, due largely in part to the 'plastic base'.
Oh well.... They're in and look S W E E T!

DJK...... How the fok did you manage to finaggle those bulbs in up front that way? I was standing there for half an hour trying to convince myself, "You can do it!" But NOPE didn't seem physically possible...
Old 02-23-2004, 08:28 AM
___DJK___

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
DJK..........

I felt like doing to the rear-bulbs, what your AVATAR is doing! Is that M. Douglas in that movie where he was "fed up"?

At any rate, YES! The Evo's do not blink as bright as stock, but surely bright enough. They are more amber and less yellow IMO. But again, they are fokin hard as shiz to install, due largely in part to the 'plastic base'.
Oh well.... They're in and look S W E E T!

DJK...... How the fok did you manage to finaggle those bulbs in up front that way? I was standing there for half an hour trying to convince myself, "You can do it!" But NOPE didn't seem physically possible...
Thats Michael Bolton fking up the printer!! Havent you seen Office Space?

Doing the fronts was tricky indeed. My finger still hurts from doing it (got stuck a couple times). I basicly had 2 fingers in there using them like chopsticks almost lol. If you have fat fingers this would be impossible. The bulb was easy to wiggle out and put back in, but the tough part was trying to turn the base up to get the stock bulb off. Jamming the evo bulb in there wasnt too easy either, but not nearly as difficult as the rears.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:31 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by ___DJK___
Thats Michael Bolton fking up the printer!! Havent you seen Office Space?

Doing the fronts was tricky indeed. My finger still hurts from doing it (got stuck a couple times). I basicly had 2 fingers in there using them like chopsticks almost lol. If you have fat fingers this would be impossible. The bulb was easy to wiggle out and put back in, but the tough part was trying to turn the base up to get the stock bulb off. Jamming the evo bulb in there wasnt too easy either, but not nearly as difficult as the rears.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:59 PM
ZZZealous007

http://autolumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/7440sv.jpg

Has anyone here bought a pair of these from autoilumination? http://autolumination.com They look good. And theyre much cheaper.

If you already bought the evostyles, dont feel bad. I bought them too before I found this link. ;(
Old 02-23-2004, 06:15 PM
juhko

This whole thread is about finding the right bulb!
It's not a matter of how cheap they are....

The question is what wattage do they run at?
Anyone want to wager that they aren't stock wattage?
Anyone want to put up their headlight cluster as a "tester" to see if it gets damaged?

I sent them an e-mail and should know by tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:26 PM
ares
Veteran

99% sure they are 27watt.

I have to put in an order for some stuff from them, maybe Ill order one of those for 3bucks and let you guys know how it does on temp.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:14 PM
350zluvr

I already ordered a set of these bulbs because as mentioned earlier they are much cheaper. These bulbs run at 27w, and they are horrible quality. I think I posted a short review about them farther back in this thread. Basically, they burn hotter and are not as bright. Save your money.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:34 PM
ZZZealous007

Originally posted by juhko
This whole thread is about finding the right bulb!
It's not a matter of how cheap they are....
Wouldnt the "right bulb" be the cheapest bulb that complied with our wattage?

Originally posted by 350zluvr
I already ordered a set of these bulbs because as mentioned earlier they are much cheaper. These bulbs run at 27w, and they are horrible quality. I think I posted a short review about them farther back in this thread. Basically, they burn hotter and are not as bright. Save your money.
Thanx for the info. Im glad I bought those evostyles.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:11 PM
gt3

Default Just installed the Evo bulbs in the rear

It did not take long at all...about 10 minutes each side. Thanks to 350zluvr's advice, I shaved off part of the base to make the bulb much easier to fit. On each side of the bulb, there is a flat ridge that I simply shaved off few thin layers. After repeated shaving and test fitting, I got them to fit snugly without having to force them in there.

Quick review of the side by side comparision to the OEM amber blinker, I find the Evo bulb to have nearly the same brightness in a dark underground garage. Overall I am quite pleased.

Here what I mean with the shaving of the base, this is the flat ridge that I am referring to:
Attached Thumbnails Need 'Silver Turn Signal Bulbs'? Look Here!!!-bulbs-new2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need 'Silver Turn Signal Bulbs'? Look Here!!!