Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Upgrade to OEM Brembos?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrade to OEM Brembos?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, because I do recall reading it somewhere, but I can't seem to find the post right now. For those of you who can help me out, I'd very greatly appreciate it.

Anyways, the question is in regards to what is required when upgrading to OEM Brembos? I currently have an 04 Enthusiast and was wondering what exactly is required to upgrade? If I get the front/rear calipers, front/rear rotors, front/rear pads, and brake lines, is there anything else I need? What about the e-brake or miscellaneous mounting brackets or something?

Thanks guys.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 PM
tchiuda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing else, besides what you mentioned. I've got mine for 935+50
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=019
Set up ebay favorite search, something like
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...2=96744&lsot2=
and
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&fsop=1&fsoo=1
Old 01-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
I'm sure this question has been asked before, because I do recall reading it somewhere, but I can't seem to find the post right now. For those of you who can help me out, I'd very greatly appreciate it.

Anyways, the question is in regards to what is required when upgrading to OEM Brembos? I currently have an 04 Enthusiast and was wondering what exactly is required to upgrade? If I get the front/rear calipers, front/rear rotors, front/rear pads, and brake lines, is there anything else I need? What about the e-brake or miscellaneous mounting brackets or something?

Thanks guys.
The only thing you will need... at least for the rears, is the mounting bolts for the calipers. The oem brembo caliper's mounting bolts use a different thread than the nonbrembo calipers. I would think the fronts may be the same, but don't for sure
Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
The only thing you will need... at least for the rears, is the mounting bolts for the calipers. The oem brembo caliper's mounting bolts use a different thread than the nonbrembo calipers. I would think the fronts may be the same, but don't for sure
yeah, i used my non oem brembo mounting bolts for the front and had to get the brembo mounting bolts for the rear.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Amiricanmade

Originally Posted by tchiuda
Nothing else, besides what you mentioned. I've got mine for 935+50
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=019
Set up ebay favorite search, something like
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...2=96744&lsot2=
and
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&fsop=1&fsoo=1
Don't mean to thread jack, but are those your Brembo's in the link? I konw it's a Z member who tried selling them on here before. If so i might be intrested.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:58 AM
ReelBigAndy

I did a search on this a few months ago, and I thought I remember a procedure for modifying or removing part of a rear dust shield or a bracket to swap oem non-brembos for oem brembos. I'll see if I can find it...

Edit for link: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....+brembo+brakes

Last edited by ReelBigAndy; 01-09-2008 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:24 AM
tchiuda

Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
Don't mean to thread jack, but are those your Brembo's in the link? I konw it's a Z member who tried selling them on here before. If so i might be intrested.
I'm the buyer in the auction. Set has lots of nicks and bruises, but the price was unbeatable.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Changvi

In addition to the mounting bolts, i think you might ought to think about upgrading to an OEM high volume master brake cylinder since the non brembo has a lower volume.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 AM
BhashaZ

Thanks guys for your help.

Tchiuda: that's a great deal you got on your set. I don't recall seeing them go that low.

ReelBigAndy: Thanks for the link. That's the one I saw before but I was searching for different key words in the title!

So question regarding the Brembo mounting bolts for the rear. If I buy a set of used Brembos and the seller doesn't have these, can I still acquire these from the dealership? If so, how much do they go for?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:33 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by Changvi
In addition to the mounting bolts, i think you might ought to think about upgrading to an OEM high volume master brake cylinder since the non brembo has a lower volume.
Is that absolutely necessary? From what I've read, it seems like most people say it's not a requirement. But I'd like to hear more.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:39 AM
SuperBlack350z

Thanks guys for your help.

Tchiuda: that's a great deal you got on your set. I don't recall seeing them go that low.

ReelBigAndy: Thanks for the link. That's the one I saw before but I was searching for different key words in the title!

So question regarding the Brembo mounting bolts for the rear. If I buy a set of used Brembos and the seller doesn't have these, can I still acquire these from the dealership? If so, how much do they go for?
Probably around 2-4 dollars per bolt. Call your local dealership for exact prices.

i think i have some in my parts room somewhere.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:41 AM
SuperBlack350z

Is that absolutely necessary? From what I've read, it seems like most people say it's not a requirement. But I'd like to hear more.
+1

First, i left my master cylinder in there, braking felt a bit weird. Can't explain it. After i switched out to the brembo master cylinder, everything was good.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 AM
tchiuda

If I buy a set of used Brembos and the seller doesn't have these, can I still acquire these from the dealership? If so, how much do they go for?
Dealer usually don't stock them, so you'll have to wait couple days; about $9 each.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:50 AM
SuperBlack350z

Dealer usually don't stock them, so you'll have to wait couple days; about $9 each.
ouch.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
+1

First, i left my master cylinder in there, braking felt a bit weird. Can't explain it. After i switched out to the brembo master cylinder, everything was good.
I didn't switch my M cylinder out and the brakes feel fine. Do you have a part number on the cylinder you switched to? I got a quote on what my parts girl thinks I am looking for... quoted me $181..... does that seem about right?

They are NOT $9/each. I think I payed a $1.70/each or somewhere there about. I do have a hookup at my local dealership, but the most discount I have seen is 60%; which would still make them only $4.25/each regular price
Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 AM
BhashaZ

Okay so I guess bolts won't be a problem. But master cylinder...hmm...I'll do more research I guess.

So will there be any issues with the e-brake? And approximately how much would something like this cost to install?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Zivman
I didn't switch my M cylinder out and the brakes feel fine. Do you have a part number on the cylinder you switched to? I got a quote on what my parts girl thinks I am looking for... quoted me $181..... does that seem about right?

The problem i had without switching the master brake cylinder was that the pedal had to be pushed with more force then my OEM brakes. I thought it was odd and i saw that other people on here had the same feeling. After driving my friend's track edition, i knew something was wrong. I bought the master cylinder and it solved my problem right away. With the oem BMC, it still stopped but just took a bit more effort and longer pedal feel. Sorry, i don't have the part number.

Okay so I guess bolts won't be a problem. But master cylinder...hmm...I'll do more research I guess.

So will there be any issues with the e-brake? And approximately how much would something like this cost to install?
No problems with the Ebrake. You won't have to mess with it during the install. The ebrake is connected to shoe type brakes behind the rotors itself.

I would highly suggest installing it yourself. It's super easy. The hardest part was bleeding the system, which is easy. There is a DIY guide on this site as well with pics.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 AM
CAVZ33

It's about 300 for install.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 AM
BhashaZ

Thanks guys for the replies.

Regarding the master cylinder, see this response from StopTech:
Originally Posted by StopTech
Both track and non-track model brakes use the same sized master cylinder, however the pt#'s for the MC's themselves are different.
(found here: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/223093-does-master-cylinder-need-to-be-changed-when-converting-to-brembo-or-other-bbk.html)

CAVZ33: I'm sending you a PM back regarding your seats!

Last edited by BhashaZ; 01-09-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:13 PM
jlimquest

Had mine installed by West Covina Nissan ($300-calipers, new rotors & SS lines). Great clean quality job.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrade to OEM Brembos?-dscn1596-medium-.jpg   Upgrade to OEM Brembos?-dscn1599-medium-.jpg   Upgrade to OEM Brembos?-rscn1620-medium-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Upgrade to OEM Brembos?