Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Horrible Gas smell from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:45 PM
ajcool2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Gas smell from exhaust w/video

Ok today during lunch I went to get some thing to eat and when I got in my Z it started up with no problems. Then when I gave it a little gas it sputtered a little but I paid it no attention. Then as I kept driving it began doing it a little more often so I rolled down the windows and the exhaust began smelling funny and it sounded different. By the time I made it back to my work parking lot it was sounded pretty bad and it smelt alot worse so I decided to turn off the car in the middle of the lot to check it out. I checked the mufflers and white smoke was coming out and it smelled REALLY bad like an extra strong gas smell. So I checked the oil it was fine and cleaned my airbox out. Tryed to start it again and it started to crank but wouldnt turn over. So after a few trys me and a coworker pushed it into a space. After work I tried it again and this time I gave it a little more gas each time while I was startign it and it came on. I drove it around the lot once it the smell was unbearable so I parked it. I'm thinking my cats are bad? Also the car is sitting at my job in a not so good nieghbor and I'd like to get it home, do you think it would be a good idea to try it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I have a 04 touring with 29600 miles on it.

Last edited by ajcool2; 10-22-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Al_s14

It sounds like you either have a stuck open injector or bad air flow meter taht causes the fuel mixture to be richened up. You can always throw parts at it but without proper diagnostic equipment you wont be able to fix it on your own. Have it towed to the dealer and i mean the dealer not firestone or some ******** like that.

Reason for it not sating was most likely flooded condition. As i said it could be the maf but i have yet to see it be so bad that it woudl cause THAT much fuel be dumped.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Al_s14

o yeah and don't drive the car home unless you absolutely have to. excess fuel will cause to get cats very hot and seriously decrease their life if not plug them up. as i said diagnosing a car without looking at it is not possible best anyone can do is an educated guess but one thing i know is its not caused by your cats as you previously stated.

extra fuel in the cylinders will also wash cylinder walls of oil and probably contaminate your oil. so once all this fixed i recommend changing it. not necessarily the filter just oil.

Last edited by Al_s14; 10-22-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:03 PM
ajcool2

Man I was hoping for just bad cats so I could just get test pipes. The first thing I did was call the dealer and they told me to have it dropped off up there and they will look at it. Would video help diagnose it because I can go and get some vids of what its doing. Can I try cleaning the maf maybe? Also the dealer is about 5 miles away from the car do you think I should still tow it?

Last edited by ajcool2; 10-22-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Al_s14

From my experience when a nissan maf fails its gone there is no bringing it back by cleaning. Video would not help, i'd need to see ECM inputs and sensor values with Consult II. I know i said you shouldn't drive it but if it were me i'd proably do it lol. 5 miles isn't bad. Do drive it but wait till late at night so traffic is low and you can keep engine load down (by not accelerating and slowing down constantly). Try to keep rpm low.

hate to say it but be prepared to pay out the *** for it. you are looking at least 1hr labor for diagnosis(proably around 100bucks) if it is the maf then its something you can do yourself. and you can get it somewhere cheaper plus save money on labor for installing it
Old 10-22-2007, 04:18 PM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by Al_s14
From my experience when a nissan maf fails its gone there is no bringing it back by cleaning. Video would not help, i'd need to see ECM inputs and sensor values with Consult II. I know i said you shouldn't drive it but if it were me i'd proably do it lol. 5 miles isn't bad. Do drive it but wait till late at night so traffic is low and you can keep engine load down (by not accelerating and slowing down constantly). Try to keep rpm low.
Ok good I'll try taking it there in a minute. I'm just afraid they'll say something like my spacer caused all this too happen.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:19 PM
ajcool2

hate to say it but be prepared to pay out the *** for it. you are looking at least 1hr labor for diagnosis(proably around 100bucks) if it is the maf then its something you can do yourself. and you can get it somewhere cheaper plus save money on labor for installing it
Good thing I'm still under warrenty.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Al_s14

if you are then you're damn close to the end lol. dont mix up power train and bumper to bumper . drivability problems are not covered under 60k power train
Old 10-22-2007, 04:26 PM
ajcool2

if you are then you're damn close to the end lol. dont mix up power train and bumper to bumper . drivability problems are not covered under 60k power train
I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 PM
ajcool2

OK update I drove for a while and the smell isnt as bad but it still smells. Also when idling at a light the white smoke is the worst. Its not ALOT of smoke but its not normal. I sat still and reved it a little and there wasnt much coming out. Also just saw that only my right side muffler is making a poofing noise maybe 4 times in a row and stops.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM
ajcool2

Heres a vid of the sound.

Last edited by ajcool2; 10-22-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:57 AM
ajcool2

UPDATE: The dealer said my cylinder #5 is misfiring. I figured that was the case since only one side of my mufflers were puttering. Also I've riddin in a maxima with the same problem and it felt the same minus the smell. Apparently one of the studs were missing from my intake manifold which they said is causing the problem. So I'll be taking the stud to them at 12 today and hopefully they'll be able to fix it. Also they found out that I was 2 qts low on oil. I am about 200 miles from an oil change and hopefully its just because I push the car hard sometimes. So they'll be changing the oil and trans fluid and I should have the car back today.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:14 PM
ajcool2

ANy suggestions on fixing my misfire??
Old 10-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Al_s14

o , i thought they were fixing it already lol i was waiting for an actual update on how you fixed it. tell me what you knwo from them so far and i will recommend further action

there are only three things it can be: spark plug, coil pack, injector, compression(not likeley in your case) or wiring/ecu.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:41 PM
ajcool2

o , i thought they were fixing it already lol i was waiting for an actual update on how you fixed it. tell me what you knwo from them so far and i will recommend further action

there are only three things it can be: spark plug, coil pack, injector, compression(not likeley in your case) or wiring/ecu.
Well they told me that 2 studs were missing from my intake manifold. I forgot to take the guide pins out when I installed my spacer. So I took them out and put the new bolts on and the problem is still there. Should I just take the spacer completely off?
Old 10-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Al_s14

get with me on aim. bigal59751

Last edited by Al_s14; 10-27-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:08 PM
ajcool2

get with me on aim. bigal56751
ok.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Al_s14

o **** i made a mistake sorry bigal59751
Old 10-28-2007, 12:43 PM
ajcool2

Ok I removed the spacer and still having the same problem. I have gas spewig out of my exhaust. Might take it to another dealer this time. I really dont want to pay another $80 for them to look at it and say theres nothing they can do. Here are pics.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Al_s14

did you use new gasket and install it in proper order?

start testing your 5 cylinder. pull the oil out. stick a spark plug in it nad see if it sparks. if it does put a known good spark plug in the cylinder. if problem does not go away try to get to the injector and ohm it out. if all fails it is probably the injector stuck open.

Quick Reply: Horrible Gas smell from exhaust