Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Need Help With Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:15 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need Help With Clutch

First I just wanted to say I have searched and it hasnt really hit what I am looking for.

I adjusted my clutches engangement point. At this point it is perfect. However in the mornings when i go to start my car I notice the clutch is a lot further down then it should be. Please note it is really low, however I can still engange and disengage the clutch.

I pull it up with my foot and the clutch is back to being perfect for me. No slipping perfect engangement point.

My question, why is it when the car sits the clutchs goes down further? Do I have air in my system do I need a new Master Cylinder. My brakes are great they dont have air in them.

I need help/advice before calling the Stealership. The car has 100K mile warranty so if its something major it will be covered.

Any clues or suggestions that may help?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:05 AM
RedBullRR

Bump.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 AM
RedBullRR

I guess no one knows what I'm talking about huh?!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:31 PM
espitia350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, I wouldn't waste any money having the dealership look at this. I don't consider this a problem. As long as the clutch is able to engage/disengage it doesn't matter how "really low" the clutch is. I personally don't fully depress the clutch, especially when I'm shifting quickly or double-clutching.

Last edited by espitia350; 06-09-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:03 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by espitia350
To be honest, I wouldn't waste any money having the dealership look at this. I don't consider this a problem. As long as the clutch is able to engage/disengage it doesn't matter how "really low" the clutch is. I personally don't fully depress the clutch, especially when I'm shifting quickly or double-clutching.
Thanks for the response. I Bleed the system it had some air in it. But I found that when I first start the car the Tranny/Clutch is cold, once it warms up it goes back to its proper place. I guess I'm paranoid.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:20 AM
RedBullRR

Okay so I'm not paranoid. I put the Clutch back to Stock Specs hight. Every Morning when the car is cold my clutch is stuck to the floor. I have to pull it up with my foot then its good for the rest of the day.

This is driving me crazy. Im bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow, any ideas why this does this every morning on a cold start.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 AM
RedBullRR

Posted back in June and no help. Yet we have forums about peoples love lifes and theres a million Dr. Phils in here. Is this not a car forum these days?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if the clutch pedal is on the floor and won't return, you either still have air bubbles, or your master or slave are failing
Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
if the clutch pedal is on the floor and won't return, you either still have air bubbles, or your master or slave are failing
Thanks thats what I was figuring. I bleed the system and the clutch is nice and hard, but every morning the clutch is back on the floor. Would my master be the problem even though the brakes never seem to be a problem. I'm bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow morning with regards to this. It should be covered under the warranty I got. (well see though). It never gets stuck when driving it and driving it hard only on cold starts in the morning.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

your clutch master and brake master are 2 separate items
Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 AM
RedBullRR

Hmmm, sounds like I have a bad master or slave then.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

my first suggestion is bleeding the fluid out completely and replacin it with new stuff. Might want to change the clutch line at the same time too. While there, check the master and slave for moisture - if damp, or the boots torn, etc, they need replacing
Old 08-25-2007, 05:16 PM
doc4life11

Hey Im having a similar problem that you are having. Except for the fact that when im driving in traffic my clutch seems to go down to about half way and stay there. And it stays like that until the car cools down. Im guessing it might be my master cylinder going bad. But if you find out before me. Let me know!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 05:38 PM
wasuber

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
Thanks thats what I was figuring. I bleed the system and the clutch is nice and hard, but every morning the clutch is back on the floor. Would my master be the problem even though the brakes never seem to be a problem. I'm bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow morning with regards to this. It should be covered under the warranty I got. (well see though). It never gets stuck when driving it and driving it hard only on cold starts in the morning.
did you find out what was wrong? I was curiuos and was following this thread I had never had this happen to any cars of mine before.

Also when you adusted your clutch pedals is it on the pedal mechanism itself or on the firewall in the motor bay?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:13 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by wasuber
did you find out what was wrong? I was curiuos and was following this thread I had never had this happen to any cars of mine before.

Also when you adusted your clutch pedals is it on the pedal mechanism itself or on the firewall in the motor bay?
When I adjusted the pedal it was on the pedal itself, using a Do it yourself on these forums. I brought the car to the dealer and here is what they said after having the car for 2 days.

Your master cylinder and Slave cylinder checked out fine. We drained and then bleed the system. Clutche grabs just fine. Left if overnight and pedal was back on floor. However the cluthe still enganges and disengages. Seems like your Pressure plate is loosing its pressure. Stated that as I start using it the pressure plate builds enough play to bring the clutch back up. However it is reccomended that you change it as it might leave you stuck out of nowhere.

I've been using the car like this for a few months and the clutch grabs fine can chirp second no problem. After having the car there I try and jump it from second to 5th gear and the punch it. I noticed that my RPMS would jump quicker then the car takes off. So no pressure in the pressure plate is causing my problems.

This happened to me before on my integra but not exactly. A piece of my throwout bearing broke and cracked a few teeth off the pressure plate. Causing major slippage.

Anyhow looks like I will have to get a new setup. Looking into the ACT Clutch Pressure plate and Flywheel setup. Was considering the JWT Kit because it has a far better price. Not sure what to do rite now. LOL
Old 09-06-2007, 04:45 AM
RedBullRR

Well Spoke to my mechanic and he said the Dealer is full of **** and I need to look into getting a new Slave Cylinder. He stated it doest have to be leaking for it to fail. Not sure what the dealer does to test these things but anyone have any input on this?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Vinny@VTR

I've experienced it once, the clutch pedal on the floor on a hot day on the grand central pkwy after beating on the car.

switched to stainless steel clutch line and never happened again... also true for another fellow Z'er who had the same setup as me, being TN ST and he actually snapped two rubber lines before I convinced him to pick up a stainless steel one.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Vinny@VTR

oops didnt see your last post, finally identifying the problem. =)
Old 09-06-2007, 07:23 AM
RedBullRR

Thats the thing though everyone says there clutch sticks to the floor after using the car. Mines happens overnight while she sleeps. As I start using her she will gradually raise. I dont know what it is, and dont want to buy a clutch kit if I dont really need 1.

Anyone?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:06 AM
gimpster621

thats what happened to me. i adjusted my engagement point and drove like that for 30k plus miles. i had to put my toe behind the clutch every morning to get it up but clutch worked perfectly.

fast forward to last week i had a 5th gear the grinded everytime i down shifted or shifted fast. took her in and they said they'll get me a tranny under warranty. then they said the master cylinder and slave cylinder was gone along with my clutch and flywheel. they covered my tranny and the 2 cylinders so i was lucky. as for the clutch and flywheel i had to pay but i went with the jwt combo and they only charged me for the parts and 1 hour of labor.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Clutch