Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

burning oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:22 PM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default burning oil?

Just got my first oil change done this past Wednesday. The dealership put in 10w30 Mobil1 Synthetic. Car had 1,300 miles on it. Now when I start it, after being parked overnight, it burns oil. After about 1 minute, the blow-by stops. Car is a 2006, only 2 months old, and completely stock. Never been on the highway, until Friday night, and didn't run any higher than about 75-80mph... if that makes any difference.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:34 PM
HighwaySpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Check
All
Of
The
Recent
Threads
On
This
Subject
Old 12-09-2006, 08:48 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The fear of burning oil has gotten out of hand. Don't confuse rich with oil burning. All vehicles run rich at cold idle.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:25 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by dmroberson
Just got my first oil change done this past Wednesday. The dealership put in 10w30 Mobil1 Synthetic. Car had 1,300 miles on it. Now when I start it, after being parked overnight, it burns oil. After about 1 minute, the blow-by stops. Car is a 2006, only 2 months old, and completely stock. Never been on the highway, until Friday night, and didn't run any higher than about 75-80mph... if that makes any difference.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Forgive me, I don't mean to sound stupid here, but how do you know there's blow by in the first minute? I am watching this carefully myself as my '06 is burning a little also.

John
Old 12-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
The fear of burning oil has gotten out of hand. Don't confuse rich with oil burning. All vehicles run rich at cold idle.
Is it still fear or is it reality, when the diptick reads "L" every 1,000 miles?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:49 PM
CaliTouring

mine is an 06 and at 3200 miles i went for an oil change and i was missing a quart and a half of oil.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:03 AM
HighwaySpeed

Exclamation

To Burn: 6MT + RevUp =

Or

Not To Burn: 5AT + Non-RevUp =
Old 12-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Chad68

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed

Or

Screw that AT. I'd rather buy an oil field than drive a AT
Old 12-10-2006, 04:27 AM
bailey bill

Now when I start it, after being parked overnight, it burns oil. After about 1 minute, the blow-by stops. Thanks.
And you know that because...?

If you see vapor from the tailpipe at startup, that's water vapor. And if you see black droplets from the tailpipes, thats condensate coated with unburned hydrocarbons ("carbon").

The only way I know to determine blowby is with a gauge and leakdown test.

bill
Old 12-10-2006, 04:40 AM
NVS_350Z

why are you changing your oil at 1,300 miles?
Old 12-10-2006, 08:10 AM
rockinbboy

He's getting rid of whatever metal shavings in the engine from break-in. Its an okay thing to do.

Well, how do you know you are burning oil? Do you smell it? Do you see it "L" on your dipstick? Did you check your dipstick level when you got your car back from its oil change initially? Are you following the break-in procedures?

I have an 06 Rev-up and not encountered any oil issues. Had the car since Feb 06. Over 8k miles now.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:37 AM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by antennahead
Forgive me, I don't mean to sound stupid here, but how do you know there's blow by in the first minute? I am watching this carefully myself as my '06 is burning a little also.

John
I can smell it, and my bro said I blew out a big cloud of white smoke when I started. He happened to be in the garage, when I started, and I smoked him out.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:41 AM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
He's getting rid of whatever metal shavings in the engine from break-in. Its an okay thing to do.

Well, how do you know you are burning oil? Do you smell it? Do you see it "L" on your dipstick? Did you check your dipstick level when you got your car back from its oil change initially? Are you following the break-in procedures?

I have an 06 Rev-up and not encountered any oil issues. Had the car since Feb 06. Over 8k miles now.
Yeah, I smell it, and I see the white smoke coming out of my tail, when I start up. I checked the oil when I got it back, after the car cooled down, and it was full. Yes, I've been following the break-in to the tee.

Also, didn't blow out this morning. First time, since I got the oil changed, that it didn't do it. Dipstick still shows "Full" though.

Originally Posted by bailey bill
And you know that because...?

If you see vapor from the tailpipe at startup, that's water vapor. And if you see black droplets from the tailpipes, thats condensate coated with unburned hydrocarbons ("carbon").

The only way I know to determine blowby is with a gauge and leakdown test.

bill
A shop told me once, that if white smoke comes out of the exhaust, and has the burned oil smell, then it's referred to as "blow-by". If that's not correct, I apologize for using the term "blow-by" incorrectly. I'm not all that car-literate... Anyway, I know what water vapor looks like, coming from the exhaust, and have seen the condensation before too, but this is definitely neither.

Last edited by dmroberson; 12-11-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:45 AM
tylerdurden07

Interesting? Better keep an eye on my Z
Old 12-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Sean_350z

I can smell it, and my bro said I blew out a big cloud of white smoke when I started. He happened to be in the garage, when I started, and I smoked him out.
white smoke is simply moisture. burnt oil out the tailpipes has a blue tint to it and it's gotta be really bad to see it. Ever drive behind one of those late 80s Chrysler mini-vans that burns oil and double for mosquito chasers? You won't miss it. If it's slow you'll have to watch the oil level over at least a couple thousand miles of driving.

I hope you've done some spirited driving before this trip on the highway. Best way to break in a motor is w/ some "light abuse".
Old 12-11-2006, 05:57 AM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by Sean_350z
white smoke is simply moisture. burnt oil out the tailpipes has a blue tint to it and it's gotta be really bad to see it. Ever drive behind one of those late 80s Chrysler mini-vans that burns oil and double for mosquito chasers? You won't miss it. If it's slow you'll have to watch the oil level over at least a couple thousand miles of driving.

I hope you've done some spirited driving before this trip on the highway. Best way to break in a motor is w/ some "light abuse".
Oh, my mistake, sorry... Thanks for the correction.

Well, the only "spirited" driving I did, was along state highways to go home one weekend, ran probably around 85-90 mph, at times. The highway trip was just an alternate route I took, just for shi*s and giggles. And to see what the car felt like, on the interstate.

Last edited by dmroberson; 12-11-2006 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:46 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed

Or

Or Rev-Up = Oil Down
Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Sean_350z

For "spirited driving", high speed won't help so much as foot-to-the-floor high rpm through a couple gears to get rings to seat quickly. Engine needs some load on it.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:33 AM
dmroberson

oh, in that case, no, never done any "spirited driving". Never floored it, and never take it past 5000 rpm.

So, I should floor it in a few of the gears, a few times, and that will help?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Sean_350z

Won't help now. You haven't done any damage but the best seating of the rings comes from some aggressive rpm as soon as possible in the engine's life. The few motors I've built in the past have had the cam broken in, motor checked quick for leaks, oil changed, and then had the snot beat out of them the first time around the block.

You should most certainly floor it occasionally though! While else drive something w/ a performance engine?

Quick Reply: burning oil?