Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil consumption, worries, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:21 PM
zpwnzu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption, worries, etc.

Only had the car since May, 4800 miles on her. I changed to synthetic (Royal Purple) at 1140. Since then, the car has burned what i believe to be 2 qts of oil. To get me by, i added a quart of Mobile one to limp home and drive until i can get another oil change. It is still low, i can tell from the average oil pressure readings. Is this something to worry about or can i blame it on the break in? I know i'm over my check-up service by almost 2 thousand miles thanks to work. . . so no flaming.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zpwnzu
Only had the car since May, 4800 miles on her. I changed to synthetic (Royal Purple) at 1140. Since then, the car has burned what i believe to be 2 qts of oil. To get me by, i added a quart of Mobile one to limp home and drive until i can get another oil change. It is still low, i can tell from the average oil pressure readings. Is this something to worry about or can i blame it on the break in? I know i'm over my check-up service by almost 2 thousand miles thanks to work. . . so no flaming.

Sorry but you can't tell oil level AT ALL with the oil pressure gauge.

How did you know you're 2 quarts shy?

The only way to check oil level without changing the oil is to use the dipstick, very unreliable IMO. Best way to check oil level is to drain the oil and measure it.

If you're worried, go to the dealer and start an oil consumption test. Your car is still under warranty so don't worry about it. Go to the dealer, get the oil changed, tell them you think you're burning oil, and make them put everything down on paper.

By the way, what made you switch to synthetic so early ? Most people recommend switching after a few thousand miles at least.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 09-18-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:32 PM
NissanZfan

I have the same problem; I have an appointment for this Thursday.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:34 PM
zpwnzu

Well after i added the one quart so that i wouldnt be risking damage to my engine, the oil guage responded positively in that it was at around 15-20 at idle and at 50 at WOT rather than the 5 or so to 25 before i added the oil. i figured it was still low cause all my z-owning friends are at 60 at WOT.

P.S. NissanZfan, lemme know what you find out.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well after i added the one quart so that i wouldnt be risking damage to my engine, the oil guage responded positively in that it was at around 15-20 at idle and at 50 at WOT rather than the 5 or so to 25 before i added the oil. i figured it was still low cause all my z-owning friends are at 60 at WOT.

It may have been low, or it may not have been low. The oil pressure gauge is just not the way to tell.

I hope you go to the dealer and resolve this issue the correct way from now on instead of guessing and adding.

Suppose your oil pressure gauge was having problems, and it was reading too low. You could have overfilled your engine.

Just trying to put things in perspective for you.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:05 PM
zpwnzu

its not exactly convienient to take my car in, i work 9 to 5:30 every day and need my car for said work.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:35 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
It may have been low, or it may not have been low. The oil pressure gauge is just not the way to tell.

I hope you go to the dealer and resolve this issue the correct way from now on instead of guessing and adding.

Suppose your oil pressure gauge was having problems, and it was reading too low. You could have overfilled your engine.

Just trying to put things in perspective for you.
To be fair the "severe" drop in presure is what first clued me into my oil issue. I'm not saying to use it to dignose and fix this type of problem, but it is a good indicator that something isn't normal when the gauge is flatlined and doesn't actively move like normal.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:47 PM
NissanZfan

I will let you know.