Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

oil consumption update

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil consumption update

Had my 3rd (3,000 mile) oil consumption test/reading done today.

1st 1,000 results it was down .6 of a quart.

2nd 1,000 results it went down 1.5 quarts

3rd reading results taken today was down 3/4 of a quart.

So it's averaging about 9/10's of a quart every 1k miles.

Their master tech. is suppose to be calling me next week to set up a time to bring my car in so they can do a leakdown test, to find out which piston is bad. He said Nissan will want to know which pistion is bad before they send the new/rebuilt short block or new long block out.

The guy I was talking to and have been dealing with since the start, said that depending on whatever is cheaper for them to do, they will either replace the short block or replace the whole long block. He said usually what they do is replace the whole long block.

Sure the hell hope so for everybodies sake because I will refuse to have the stock motor torn in half, bored out by Homer Simpson and bolted back together. I didn't shell out 30 G's to have a rebuilt motor in my car 6 months after I drove it off the lot.

By the way all you guys are wrong about the redline color

I live in Santa Rosa CA, which is not a huge city and 2 days in a row now, I had a redline behind me. It was not the same Z either because one had a Nismo wing and the other had none.

At this rate Silverstone will be the rare color

My rear tires are about totally shot, so looks like I will be ordering some rubber for my 19" Hiro's soon Gonna wait till the egine swap is done tho
Old 08-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Black_Sunshine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '06 is 7 months old with 9800 miles. I too am alarmed at the amount of oil it uses between oil chages (3000 mile interval), which is usually well over 1 quart. Not as much as yours, but more than any engine that I've ever seen that is in good operating condition (let alone new). /sigh
Old 08-26-2006, 09:34 PM
stein

I've got 8900 miles on my 06, my next oil change is due at 9100 (3000 interval). Just checked the oil today and it's right in the middle of the ////// area. I had to check it three times to get a correct reading! I hate the f'ing dipstick!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:43 AM
hottoddyo

I got a new engine put in my Z about a month ago because of oil consumption problems. They couldn't figure out where it was going. I have an 04 that I brought in Sept. of 03. Had 29k on it when they replaced the engine. It's like getting a new car. Press the issue.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Jonathan Allyn

03' Track w/

48K - New Longblock due to oil consumption
53K - New Transmission and Clutch

Press the issue and dont go with a shortblock. Make sure you get them to replace the whole thing. Oil depervation caused cam scoring on my head.

Good luck!
JA
Old 08-28-2006, 09:24 AM
mistico

Man this sucks. I didn't know the 06's were consuming Oil as well. I have 2300 miles on my 06' and 1500 miles on the oil so I'll check it when the oil turns 2000 miles and see if it's low.

Good luck and hope you get a whole new motor.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:05 AM
kaybee650

i have 30k on my 04 enthusiasts and i just checked my oil... still on the full mark... and i do drags also... how did you guys break in your motor? i see chad has a problem somewhere, maybe a burnt piston ring? but good luck on it.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:39 AM
nizmoz

Are there any attorneys on this forum that could start a class action lawsuit? There are many Z owners paying a small fortune for oil consumption. Also, are you guys aware that Nissan just told dealers to withdraw four cylinder Sentras from sale due to the same issues?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:46 AM
kaybee650

well all 2.5L cars have been voluntarily recalled due to a bad head gasket unless they are at the dealership being inspected already , well those that are on the lot.... but the 1.8L sentra's are not affected.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:49 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm not getting a new long block but the mechanic called me first thing Monday morning and informed me that he ordered me a new short block and it should be in in about a week or so.

I wanted a whole new engine but guess I will take what I can get. If this new long block is crap too, well then there will be some buttons that will need serious pushing.

I just hope this fixes the damn problem and that they don't F%$# up the car and scrtach or dent it in the process.

I just can't help but feel like something is going to leak when I get it back and certain guages won't work right, wierd not there before noises etc.

Wanna take bets???
Old 08-30-2006, 07:24 AM
richardho11

I have an 06' with 5k miles and just replaced my short block too. I just got it back 2 days ago. Strong coolant smell coming from the engine, but the temp. is normal. Other than that, they left a 2" scratch on the passenger side rear bumper. They managed to buff 70% of it out and its hard to tell unless your looking for the scratch, so I just let it go since everyone at that dealership was cool to me. The car runs fine so far, all the guages work, everything is normal so far. I only drove the car 10 miles back home making extra stops, so I can't really tell yet if something will go wrong. They also told me to rev up and down on the rpm to no more than 4k to break the motor in for the first 1k miles. So we'll see how it goes. I'm crossing my fingers that this oil consumption problem goes away.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Montez

Originally Posted by nizmoz
Are there any attorneys on this forum that could start a class action lawsuit? There are many Z owners paying a small fortune for oil consumption. Also, are you guys aware that Nissan just told dealers to withdraw four cylinder Sentras from sale due to the same issues?
Well 02-06 Maxima, G35 and 02-06 3.5 Altima owners are complaining about the same thing...... so it is definately an oil burner in alot of cases.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=489356

Last edited by Montez; 08-30-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:26 PM
teknochild

O_O something i consider a real problem with the car, does this happen to a lot of cars? little worried about this
Old 09-03-2006, 04:31 PM
corsair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us updated. Hey I missed you on the Bodega Bay meet. I got left behind at the Wharf. HaHa!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:45 PM
L33TZOR

I go Mobil 1 synthetic every 2K. I have had 2 oil changes and the odo reads about 4400 miles thus far. Ive been watching for any consumption and I really hate this dipstick. (Doesnt anyone think its so difficult to read). So far its ok, but I guess if it starts happening, I will be expecting it, and reporting it to every forum I know as well as here.
The only complaints I have is the day after I bought my car, this little tire pressure warning light came on. And I have this slow leak in one of my tires about 3-4 lbs of pressure every week. Since Im not a daily driver, I even plan to grab some air when I go purchase lotto tix.

P.S> much love to the guy who went thru replacing a short block at 5K!
Old 09-03-2006, 11:53 PM
ActionJackson

hmm wait at what mileage is the entire engine covered up to at on the standard warranty? 60,000?
Old 09-04-2006, 03:04 AM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, You need to read this. I hate to do this now, since I resolved everything (my own way), and now drive a better Z than originally. However, this can help you prevent HUGE aggravation.

I bought a 2005 Base Coupe MT (SS) in February 2005. I noticed low oil several times b4 first oil change. I went through the same tests, etc, etc, Nissan said it was "Mis-Machining" and improperly seated rings. They replaced the short block. 3500 miles later, I had catastrophic engine failure when the rod blew through the short block. To make matters worse, I had to fight them to cover the car under warranty since I had Nismo Cams and Nismo CAI on the engine (bought at dealership, installed at dealership, manufactured by Nissan, and gauranteed under warranty by dealership). They finally replaced the entire engine under warranty.

As I had continued problems (drive belt flew off while driving, throttle position sensor went out, flywheel and clutch replacement, etc), I tried to enforce the lemon law myself by calling Nissan and asking for a new vehicle. After waiting for weeks, they declined my request. I told them to shove it, we have 7 nissans and will likely never have another one again. Then I spoke to a lemonlaw attorney and he got me a cash offer in like 5 days. I ended up taking a settlement of $8750 and paying $1750 to my attorney, so I took home $7000. I kept the car long enough to get the flywheel and clutch replaced, then traded it in to the dealership for $22500 (bought it for $25319). I took my cash and bought a new 2006 Touring Roadster, then spent more cash doing a custom stereo and more cash doing the interior and more cash doing the engine.
A
nyway, bottom line, DON'T LET THEM DO THE SHORT BLOCK ONLY!!!!!!

If things get bad, contact a local lemon law attorney. For Arizona, talk to Prior and Ammar (Ian Prior was my attorney). Good luck. Hope your pain ends faster than mine did.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:57 AM
all_bark

I checked my oil pretty religiously since getting the car and had no problem until now. My '03 low oil light came on the other day so I pulled over and found out I was almost 2 quarts low! I know this is bad so I have set up an appointment at Mossy to address this.

my question is this - is it possible the UR pully's or kinetix intake caused this problem? it seems that many people have this problem but would these items make my problem worse?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Brocken

Thanks for posting the info. This is really helpful for me since I'm going through the same oil consumption problem. I was extremely reluctant before to consider the engine replacement/rebuild route but I definitely won't take that if they offer it. My car has less than 3k miles...there's no way I want them to take the engine apart. No offense to the techs at the dealer but I wouldn't want a high end expert taking it apart much less the service techs at the dealer.
Not to mention the fact that it would most likely show up on the VIN history if you have an engine replaced.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:15 AM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The intake and pulleys have nothing to do with the oil consumption. It is most likely the same problem the rest of us have had. The rings are not properly seated due to mis-machining. It is a manufacturers flaw.

Also, the dealership will likely try to claim that you abused the vehicle or didn't break it in properly. This is a known issue on the Z, so don't put up with that BS.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: oil consumption update