Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

aftermarket head unit with bose system

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 06:21 PM
jeff c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket head unit with bose system

I performed the seach so dont jump all over me. I have a avic n1 from my evo and i just bought a ultra yellow touring with the bose system. i just need some help with the install process. I have installed headunits before. Any help would be appreciate it. I want to keep the stock bose speakers if possible
Old 08-15-2006, 06:23 PM
cleanandquick06

it is possible to integrate with the bose system, ive seen many thread on how to do it so search harder. i will try and find a link for you. the hardest part you will have is trying to make the flip up look decent because of the shape of the dash
Old 08-15-2006, 06:50 PM
maturola

Default You need the PAC unit

Originally Posted by maturola
I just finish installing my Z1 and replace the whole OEM system. if you are Tech savvy as you said there will be no problems. In order to install the Avic and Keep your Boss system you need the PAC UNIT PAC LINK

you just need the PAC unit (Link above) to keep your Boss system. as far as the Install. Take a look at the how's to post LINK, for how to remove the dash, and other usefull links.

Good luck,,,post some Pics when you are ready.
Here are some Pics of my install (AVIC-Z1 & some amps) My Install
Old 08-15-2006, 07:30 PM
jeff c

dont see any link
Old 08-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

oh boy, you will need to crank up the volume to 20 and still can't hear anything. Bose amp is not design to handle aftermarket HU.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:39 PM
maturola

Default Link..

PAC UNIT

Well...I seen lot fo people in this forum very happy with the Boss system + aftermarket HU. It's not the same like adding the whole new aftermarket system, But for reference of many post in here after you replace the HU you will feel an increase of performance from the overall Boss system.

I'm sure if you make a search for "PAC", "PAC UNIT" or "ROEM" Those post i;m taling about will pop up
Old 08-15-2006, 07:41 PM
jeff c

will the pioneer head unit make the system sound any better or will it sound worse
Old 08-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by maturola
PAC UNIT

Well...I seen lot fo people in this forum very happy with the Boss system + aftermarket HU. It's not the same like adding the whole new aftermarket system, But for reference of many post in here after you replace the HU you will feel an increase of performance from the overall Boss system.

I'm sure if you make a search for "PAC", "PAC UNIT" or "ROEM" Those post i;m taling about will pop up
are you really sure about that? I, myself did it 2 years ago and it sounds like shiet. I have to upgrade the whole system. A friend of mine just did the same thing 3 months ago, now, he has to crank the volume up to 20+ in order to here it. He use Kenwood 6019
Old 08-16-2006, 05:13 AM
Anu2g

I just installed my Alpine IVA-W200 yesterday as the first step in a long installation process. I didn't use any parts from PAC, I just used a wire harness, probably Metra (I'll check when I get home), that I got from a local shop. The wire harness allows the bose amps to be connected to the aftermarket hu's rca pre-outs.

It definitely sounds like ****, alot worse than it sounded before. I was expecting this, but the rest of my system will be installed this weekend. You have to turn the volume up really high, and the bose subwoofer isn't as loud as it was before the aftermarket hu. This allows you to hear the bass distortion from all the other speakers.

Based on my less than a day experience with an aftermarket hu and bose system, I wouldn't recommend it...even to a beginner that isn't that picky. You don't want to downgrade the sound from stock.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:15 AM
Anu2g

I bet if you did a little more wiring, and actually wired the stock speakers to the amplified speaker outputs from the head unit, it would sound better. I'm not sure how you'd handle the subwoofer though.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:17 AM
jeff c

thanks for your help guys
Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by Anu2g
I bet if you did a little more wiring, and actually wired the stock speakers to the amplified speaker outputs from the head unit, it would sound better. I'm not sure how you'd handle the subwoofer though.
the stock Bose amp designs to handle the stock HU only. No matter how you wire them, they can't handle it.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to replace their HU and it with your OEM system. Even when you have new amp and new HU, the stock speaker still sound like shiet.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Anu2g

Originally Posted by Bubble
the stock Bose amp designs to handle the stock HU only. No matter how you wire them, they can't handle it.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to replace their HU and it with your OEM system. Even when you have new amp and new HU, the stock speaker still sound like shiet.
+1
Old 08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
maturola

Originally Posted by Bubble

I'm telling you I seen Many people that have replace the HU for an aftermarket one using the PAC UNit and they are very happy. I personally wouldn't do it. you can get a good system going on without expending that much money, But that doesn't take the fact that some people have done and they have report good thing back.

here is an example from Another 350Z forum:
Originally Posted by azote
YESSsssssssss

I did yesterday a succesfull install!!!!!!!!!!!! (only replaced the HU)

I had a Bose Unit on my 2006 with out navigation....

and Installed the AVIC-Z1 with out changing the original amp or subwoffer....

and I keep the steering wheel controls using the the pac wired control (It has no lag so far)

I was able to fit:

* the ROEM kit for Nissan (which has a little black box)

* PAC SWI-PS (which has a little black box)

* the pioneer Bluetooth adapter (which is a flat little box)

* the ipod adapter (which has a black box)

all the connectors for the avic-z1 (including the RCA's 2 be cause it had the steering wheel wired connector attached to it)

in the center console with out having to make any holes.... or putting the in other places

I must say that the sound is WAY WAY BETTER..... I couldn't belive it.... that by just changing the HU it would change so much.....

Now I can't wait until I get some money to change the amp and the sub!!!

The only problem that I think I have is that I left my GPS antenna by the Gauges and the magnets there are making it go nuts every now and then....

oh.... and also if the volume on the phone (bluetooth) is set on medium the people listening get feedback..
Originally Posted by Azote
I must say that the sound is WAY WAY BETTER..... I couldn't belive it.... that by just changing the HU it would change so much.....

Now I can't wait until I get some money to change the amp and the sub!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Anu2g

ohh, so the pac unit is something diff then my metra wire harness. my harness doesn't have any black boxes...it just converts one of the factory plugs into rcas to input into my head unit. that makes sense. sucks if ppl don't know that and they buy the metra unit with the intent to keep the stock bose speakers.