Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 10:28 AM
KPierson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UTEC 'Upgrade?'

I was talking to some local guys and someone pointed me to:

http://mpsav.com/MPSUTECLogger/MPS_U...r_Download.htm

This is, in my opinion, exactly how the UTEC should come out of the box. Even if the dashboard is extremely basic (compared to other high dollar EMS)it is much easier to read then the UTEC dashboard in Hyperterminal. This software also will allow you to log the AEM wideband with the UTEC logs.

It also appears to have some really cool tools to help you tune, but I'm not sure what UTEC has out of the box in the department.

The only problem is that it is only listed as compatible with the WRXs, STis, and EVOs. I'm going to download it and give it a shot.

If nothing else, it at least gives me hope that the UTEC data can be read and displayed in 'better' software then whats included.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:51 PM
arizzee

Nice find! I think they'll add Z UTEC support as the demand grows. It'll be nice to merge the UTEC and non-UTEC wb data, that's a cool feature.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:04 PM
KPierson
Banned

I tried it out in 'EVO' mode and all the data displays on the screen. I didn't drive the car and do any logging, but I'm hoping it works!
Old 05-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool, nice work, let us know how it works out. i dont know if i want to create any new problems with my setup....

Old 05-05-2006, 02:36 PM
KPierson
Banned

I'm hoping it will, as it will fix my two biggest complaints with the UTEC.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:34 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

IIRC, a while back they asked for volunteers from the Z community. I never heard anything come from it though.

Last edited by 35ounces; 05-06-2006 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:03 PM
aalzuhair

very nice find I hop it works with the ZUTEC
Old 05-06-2006, 08:59 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

I'm switching to the UTEC next week...this software looks like a good evolving step for this engine management- hopefully it works
Old 05-06-2006, 10:14 AM
KPierson
Banned

I just drove around the neighborhood, and all the log values seem legit. My MAF voltage seems a bit high, but not unbelievable.

This software is really cool, too. I had 3 knock events and it highlights the cells that you knock in, so you can review A/F, timing, inj duty cycle, etc for the cells you were knocking in. I like.

I emailed the guy who wrote this software and I'm waiting for his response. I would like to know what the difference is between the various UTECs and make sure I'm not missing anything. I guess I could try and run the WRX software and see if it screws it all up.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:21 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

What kind of wideband are you using? I'd really like to get it to work with the AEM UEGO but I have no idea what has to be done to connect that up.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:00 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by KPierson
This software is really cool, too. I had 3 knock events and it highlights the cells that you knock in, so you can review A/F, timing, inj duty cycle, etc for the cells you were knocking in. I like.

so when you pull a degree or two of timing, can u see the knock go away?

looking forward to playing around with this
Old 05-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Havok_RLS2

THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY. Outstanding find!
Old 05-06-2006, 01:18 PM
KPierson
Banned

I'm using the AEM wideband.

I'm pretty sure I just need to adjust my knock threshold, but I'm going to let the tuner do that. I'm not getting in to boost and I'm at relatively low RPMs when it happens (~3000rpm).

I have noticed two things about the EVO program that are wrong -

1. MAP Sensor - I assume this is to display the OEM MAP sensor voltage. Our cars don't have OEM MAP sensors, so it just stays 0. However, it does log the UTEC MAP sensor perfectly, which is all we really need.

2. MAF (Frequency). The heading is labeled frequency, when the value we are looking at is voltage. The number provided appears to be correct, and I checked it against the value in the UTEC dashboard and the numbers matched up perfectly (at idle). I belive this to be the accurate voltage, just the wrong label.

Other then that, I've already made some very useful logs. I was looking through the software and the guy who wrote it wrote it back in 2003. It amazes me that the UTEC has been availible for 3 years and TurboXS hasn't developed their own windows based software. You would think that would at least off to buy the stuff that this guy has developed as its night and day better then what they provide. I still can't believe I paid $1000 for a system with a hyperterminal interface!

I also tried the other modes availble. The first mode, I think it was WRX, didn't log anything, I got no data at all. The second mode, I think it was STi I got data, but it was obviously wrong. The timing values were way off and I was missing something else, but I don't remember what (it wasn't important to me). But, in EVO mode everything seems to work fine!
Old 05-06-2006, 01:20 PM
KPierson
Banned

Oh, I'm running a Windows XP pro laptop with a Quatech PCMCIA to Serialx2 card. The Quatech card (DSPR-100) provides two serial ports (com 6 and 7 on my machine) and works perfectly with the UTEC, the AEM wideband, and this software. I was a little worried that at least one of the components wouldn't work above com 4, but they all work great (I think I read the software allows you to go up to com 9).
Old 05-06-2006, 03:51 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

I am new to the UTEC...does this software allow any sort of map trace (to see what cell you are running in- real time) option? or is it still 1970's pong technology?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:07 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Originally Posted by KPierson
Oh, I'm running a Windows XP pro laptop with a Quatech PCMCIA to Serialx2 card. The Quatech card (DSPR-100) provides two serial ports (com 6 and 7 on my machine) and works perfectly with the UTEC, the AEM wideband, and this software. I was a little worried that at least one of the components wouldn't work above com 4, but they all work great (I think I read the software allows you to go up to com 9).

I spent the day tweaking my UTEC tune. That Quatech card is nice but expensive! I used a USB-to-serial cable which works fine also. I dont have the TUNER module which would be really helpful so either I get one or I get this program to work!

Can you please tell me what you had to do to get the AEM UEGO hooked up? Do you have the newer AEM that goes below 11? Unfortunately I have the older version.

Todd: the UTEC will LOG and you can make csv files to put into excel. But unless you have the TUNER module, the A/F is not logged as a column with the rest of the data. This software basically accomplishes that with standard wideband gauges (so you wouldnt need the TUNER module and possibly a second wideband in your car).
Old 05-06-2006, 04:32 PM
KPierson
Banned

The AEM guage has a serial output on the blue wire. I went to Radioshack and grabbed a female DB9 solder cup connector. I had some 2 wire beldon cable laying around so I soldered one wire to Pin 2 of the connector and the other wire to Pin 5. Pin 2 is the signal (tx) of the serial signal, so connect Pin 2 to the output of the guage. Pin 5 is the signal ground, so simply ground it. I grounded it with the UEGO ground.

I don't know if mine will read below 11 or not, I've had it for quite a while, so I'll assume its an older one that that won't. Once I get in to the actual tuning I'll know more.

The software does have have a cell logging mode that will average all your cell readings in real time, its pretty cool. At the end of the log you can choose which parimeter to look at. This software should definately speed up tuning, especially for those who don't have the tuner pack.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:34 PM
KPierson
Banned

The Quatech card was given to me when I started my last job. I've never used it for anything as I have a serial port onboard. However, with this project I needed two serial ports, so I dusted it off, installed the drivers, and it worked perfectly.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:34 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
or is it still 1970's pong technology?
So I'm not the only one????
Old 05-06-2006, 04:36 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Thanks man. I'm going to try to make a connector for the AEM tomorrow.
This will really be great if it works. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: UTEC 'Upgrade?'