Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset after an oil change??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 04:31 AM
tmb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset after an oil change??

A guy over at Edmunds is saying that the Z will turn itself off after an oil change if one does not reset the computer.

I never heard of this but
I pay the dealer to do mine cause of the PITA with all those bolts holding on the underpan and am interested in what the scoop is because I may invest in ramps/electric nut driver /etc. to do it myself for synthetic after my Z hits 10,000 Miles cause my dealer charges so much for synthetic.

Is this true? and if so, where is the "reset button" ie. how does one do this?

Here is what he said:
"i was talking to a friend of mine who works in a car shop and he said that when they changed the oil on a Z, the guy drove it up the road and the car turned off. the guy called nissan and asked them what was wrong. they towed the car back to the dealership and told him that they need to reset the computer on the car after an oil change. so i went to the dealer where i purchased the car from to confirm if this was true and he said yeah, if you want an oil change that is not from a dealer, they need to have something to reset the computer? i mean what the hell? why can't i change the oil on my car without having a reseter? "

Thanks for any info folks can provide.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:34 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some people believe that Earth is flat. What can you do.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:54 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. That's pretty funny.

When all else fails, read the instructions.

(your owners manual)
Old 04-13-2006, 10:21 AM
done12many2

This is too funny! If you thought for even one second that this was true, then maybe you need to leave it to someone else to change the oil.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:24 AM
gatti-man

the z's oil change is one of the easiest i have ever done. It takes me about 10 minutes tops. Get two rhino ramps for the front, drive the car up and get to it. No ecu reset or anything like that. My engine also takes EXACTLY 5 quarts so i dont even have to be careful about over filling it just dump the 5 quarts of 5w-40 amsoil in it and be done.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:02 AM
allonblack

I've got a bridge for sale...
Old 04-13-2006, 12:08 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Some people believe that Earth is flat. What can you do.
priceless comment.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:14 PM
lex350

Originally Posted by tmb

The button is on the control for the TV near the couch where you should be sitting when your getting your oil changed.

Last edited by lex350; 04-13-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:31 PM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by gatti-man
the z's oil change is one of the easiest i have ever done. It takes me about 10 minutes tops. Get two rhino ramps for the front, drive the car up and get to it. No ecu reset or anything like that. My engine also takes EXACTLY 5 quarts so i dont even have to be careful about over filling it just dump the 5 quarts of 5w-40 amsoil in it and be done.

actually 5.2 quarts to be exact
Old 04-13-2006, 04:20 PM
brigz

I broke my reset button. Anyone have a replacement for sale?
Old 04-13-2006, 05:50 PM
tmb

Default That's enough

Okay,Okay.

I was merely trying to do someone a favor who was posting on Edmunds.com to 1) put this notion that he says a DEALER told him was TRUE in it's right place - the trash can and 2) Introduce him to this website to get valid answers to questions since I posted this link in my response to him and 3) Get him to get the heck off Edmund's forums cause they are more than useless - they can cause people to make bad decisions.

Example:
Check out the warranty forum on Edmunds. People will post a question about such and such a warranty company looking for any opinions on that company and the standard answer is "Buy the extended warranty from the manufactruer as all other's are worthless"

What those idiots don't know is that most of the manufacturer warranties are actually from a handfull of Warranty companies that sell to the manufacturer as well as the customer.
I say MOST because I was researching a warranty for my Chevy Colorado so GM is the one that I know about.

That is not to say that there are plenty of horror stories. The trick is to find the company who sells to the manufacturer.

For example, General Motors Warranty program is called GMPP and GM buys their warranties from several of the warranty companies.
But the joke is on some of the yahoo's on Edmund's warranty forum who will tell you 'ONLY buy a GMPP warranty because it is a manufacturer warranty" yet the warranty is really coming from a company that sells warranties.
You pay a LOT more because of the middleman part.

Not to go way OT but I know my statement will cause a discussion.

If you don't believe me, track down the company that owns Warranty Direct and you will find that the parent company is one of the largest who sell warranties to the car companies.
I researched this like crazy and learned all this.

From a snippet found in Business Week:
Warranty Direct, Inc., is a wholly owned subsidiary of Interstate National Dealer Services, Inc. , one of the nation's largest vehicle warranty and service contract firms.

But to get back OT, I was merely trying to help a person who is getting his advice from the forums on Edmunds and most of that info is flat out wrong which is why I gave the warranty example.

I think the reset button for oil changes is just another example of why one shold stay away from advise on Edmund's forums.

Note, I have not in any way slammed Edmunds themselves. That is a totally different ball game and is extrenely useful.
I am talking about the useless forums on their website.

Last edited by tmb; 04-13-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:58 PM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

Originally Posted by tmb
if you look carefully you will find it just behind the flux capacitor
mounted to the rear hatch. PM me if you have trouble finding it.

Last edited by ROGUELITE; 04-13-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:08 PM
tmb

I said why I posted the question in my long post about 1/2 hour ago and obviously, i fell for disinformation as well.
Futher proves my point to stay away from Edmund's car forums for advice.

My post served it's purpose as I said above so have a ball and keep the jokes coming but I am now unsubscribing to this thread so they will fall on MY deaf ears.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Cannysage

I've changed my oil with synthetic mobile 1 and also the filter by mobile. I gained about 4 hp at the wheels.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:54 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by John@Victory
actually 5.2 quarts to be exact
.2? oh no ive been running my engine all this time without the full 5.2 im doooooooooooooomed!
Old 04-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Aeleven

Originally Posted by tmb
A guy over at Edmunds is saying that the Z will turn itself off after an oil change if one does not reset the computer.

I pay the dealer to do mine cause of the PITA with all those bolts holding on the underpan and am interested in what the scoop is because I may invest in ramps/electric nut driver /etc. to do it myself for synthetic after my Z hits 10,000 Miles cause my dealer charges so much for synthetic.

Here is what he said:
"i was talking to a friend of mine who works in a car shop and he said that when they changed the oil on a Z, the guy drove it up the road and the car turned off. the guy called nissan and asked them what was wrong. they towed the car back to the dealership and told him that they need to reset the computer on the car after an oil change. so i went to the dealer where i purchased the car from to confirm if this was true and he said yeah, if you want an oil change that is not from a dealer, they need to have something to reset the computer? i mean what the hell? why can't i change the oil on my car without having a reseter? "

Go back to the dealer, get a running start, and kick him in his greedy nuts.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Aeleven

Originally Posted by tmb

Here is what he said:

Old 04-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Aeleven

Originally Posted by tmb

Here is what he said:

Old 04-14-2006, 12:53 PM
MR_LUCIFER

Originally Posted by racinzrookie
I broke my reset button. Anyone have a replacement for sale?
^^ loll i saw one on ebay today hurry before the auction ends