Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My fix for seat moving/clicking

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 09:30 PM
zPilott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb My fix for seat moving/clicking

I had a problem with my seat, and I decided to take it out to see if I could fix it. The bar that is used to adjust the seat height had popped out (22 in the pic below). When I took out the seat, I realized that there is nothing holding the bar in place on the side opposite the adjuster. By pulling 20 & 24 apart I was able to push the bar back into place. But, since there is nothing to hold it there, I decided to drill a hole in the bar and insert a cotter hair pin to keep the bar from pulling out again. Not only did this solve my problem, but the slight click that I used to have when going through S turns is gone. The seat is rock solid, no motion at all.

Here is what I did.

There are covers over the 4 bolts that hold the seat in place (front and back of 20 & 24). I pried them off with my fingernail, they come off pretty easy. There is also and electrical connection under the seat which needs to be unplugged. There were also two clips that I pulled out to disconnect the wire. Removing the headrest makes it easier to get in and out, and it would probably have been a good idea to cover the doorsill to keep it from getting scratched. I then removed the bolts holding 22 in place. There is a C clip holding 19 in place, and I don't know of any good way of getting it off. I used a tiny screwdriver, but the manual recommends using a bent wire. Then I loosened 17 by removing the screw at the end, and carefully pulling it apart. There are a lot of plastic clips holding it together. The point of this is to get to the screw that goes into 20. This screw is a stop for the seat height adjuster, and I needed to remove it to pull the bar out. This screw was in really tightly, and was a PITA to get out. I took out one of the bolts holding 21 in place. By turning the adjuster past where the screw was I could pull apart 20 and 24. I had to use a screwdriver to pry the bar out all the way. I cleaned off the end and pushed it back through from the opposite side to mark off where to drill. Drilled a 2mm hole and made sure the pin fit. I then checked that the pin would fit in the bar once it was inserted, then put everything back together.

Keep in mind that my car does not have the additional airbags. If it did, I probably would not have removed the seat. I also did not disconnect the battery, but the manual recommends doing so.
Attached Thumbnails My fix for seat moving/clicking-seat.jpg  
Old 02-03-2003, 04:06 AM
j's350z

Default God Like...

I am going to try this fix this week. The seat movement is driving me crazy.... If this works like you said it does, then you should get paid by NNA.... And I'll tell my dealer to go F off... Got a fix for the geasy windows yet???? I'll keep you updated....
Old 02-03-2003, 08:26 AM
zPilott

I was actually about to make an appointment at the dealer to have them take care of the seat and the window streaks, but I lost a button for my cell phone in the seat, and I figured I wouldn't get it back if I took it in. I will probably take apart the door one of these days and wipe off the grease myself, unless I need to take it in for some other warranty issue.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:43 AM
phreezee

Someone else used Hockey tape on the window and rolled it up and down a couple of time to get rid of the streaks.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:52 PM
j's350z

Default ZPILOTT

You are GOD!!!! Just finished FIXING my seat and it is PERFECT... Took me about a hour but could do it alot faster if I had to again. For anyone else who is going to do this, you don't have to take the bar out of the seat. If you just loosen it up enough to pop the one side out, you can mark it, drill it, and put it back in.... Should take a half hour tops to do the whole job. Once again, THANK YOU ZPILOTT, it is now fun again to take corners hard!!!!!! This post deserves a sticky.....
Old 02-03-2003, 05:35 PM
zPilott

Yeah, you can certainly get at it without completely removing it, but with my butterfingers, I felt more comfortable taking it out all the way so I could clamp it in a stable place to keep it from moving.

I should have mentioned earlier that I also saw that 23 was rubbing against a piece of metal in there (which is the reason I have had a hard time pulling the lever up to move the seat forward and back) I twisted it a bit so it fit the groove better, and bent it away from the metal piece it was contacting, it moves much easier now.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:46 AM
j's350z

I had a friend hold the bar so I could drill it, so I guess if you are by yourself than you probably should take it out... Once again, thanks...........
Old 02-06-2003, 10:41 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Work zPilott.

Comment: This does not apply to the touring power seats.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:19 AM
jeffa55

Has anyone tried this with the supplemental airbags?? I have them and am nervous about taking the seat out.

We should definitely get the service manager dude who is always on the site (I believe from Miami) to read this!
Old 02-07-2003, 06:44 AM
j's350z

I don't see it being a problem if you have the airbags, but maybe ask someone who has had their stereo worked on. Just make sure you don't turn the key on after disconnecting the seat, the engine light will come on... As far as tools, you need a 14mm to remove the seat. A 12mm to loosen the bolts for the bar and a 10mm to loosen the front bar. Besides that just a drill with a little bit and a cotter pin..... And a cold beer.....
Old 02-07-2003, 09:41 AM
JN350z

Unhappy power seats

Sad that this does not apply to the power seats because I have just begun noticiing a clicking feel (more than an audible noise) with lateral force on the seat. I have the power seats though, but there has got to be some sort of similar fix. I hope so as it is beginning to drive me crazy as well...
Old 02-12-2003, 02:50 PM
J Ritt

Thumbs up

Nice work! Jason, you might have to come up for a visit to my place some time soon to help me with this...I live near morristown. Beers will be on me. I definitely want to do this before autoX season starts back up. This post is definitely 'sticky-worthy.' Great fix Zpilot!
Old 02-12-2003, 03:16 PM
flyz33

So this really works, I'm going to print this out and try it; I'll post my results soon; a thousand thanks if this works; as I really hate the seat clicking
Old 02-12-2003, 03:24 PM
zPilott

I went to an autocross this past weekend, and no problems there or the other bits of spirited driving I have done over the last couple weeks.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:44 AM
j's350z

Default Jritt

I'll fix your seat if you get me a good deal on those BBS wheels we spoke about.....J/K My friend has a shop in East Brunswick so whenever you want to come down I'll help you fix your seat... Its not that hard its just nice when you have a full tooled heated 4 bay garage to work in.... And to everyone else, YES it works. Mine's been fixed now for a couple of weeks and it feels like the handling of the car improved, you just have better feel of the road now...... Thanks Zpilott
Old 02-13-2003, 10:39 AM
zPilott

I really don't know the effects of replacing the seats, but for vehicles with the airbag in the seats, here is some precautions from the manual:

Before removing the seat, turn the ignition switch off, disconnect both battery cables and wait and
least 3 minutes.
 When checking the power seat circuit for continuity using a circuit tester, do not confuse its connector
with the side air bag module connector. Such an error may cause the air bag to deploy.
 Do not drop, tilt, or bump the side air bag module installing in the seat. Always handle it with care.
1. Remove the front leg cover and rear leg cover.(LH/RH)
2. Slide the seat until the body mounting bolts are visible and a tool can be inserted.
3. Disconnect both battery cables.
4. Remove mounting bolts from vehicle, and disconnect harness
connector from under seat cushion.
5. Remove fastening clips under seat cushion, and remove seats
from vehicle.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:23 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another satisfied customer! This fix worked like a charm.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:27 PM
flyz33

ohhh man; I can't wait for me to do this fix on my car; this clicking is so annoying. I'd do it now but this crazy snow storm is preventing me; I'll let everyone know the results.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:41 PM
DavidD

Wink Thanks

Thanks

Quick Reply: My fix for seat moving/clicking