Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quaife LSD ... finally available!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:37 PM
THX723

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Quaife LSD ... finally available!

Just recieved official words the long awaited Quaife LSD for 350Z/G35 is finally released and ready to be shipped. Suggested Retail price is $1495 (no surprise here).

It is a straight drop-in affair for those with the stock OPEN differential. Yes, unorthodox ... but that is what Quaife UK went with. Those with the vLSD diff. will also need the stub axles for the open diff. in order to make this work. However, this may actually work out nicely with the following scenario:

1. Look for someone with an open diff. and do a pumpkin swap w. them.
2. They get a free upgrade from open to oem vLSD (yours) and you get their open diff that readily accepts the Quaife LSD.
3. Both parties are happy!!!

Since I'm not in the business of selling ... those interested may want to contact Sharif (Sharif@Forged), who's an authorized Quaife dealer, for purchase info.

I'm looking to drop one in soon.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:34 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to hear...price is quite steep...but this is to be expected. I don't know why they went with an open diff drop in as a vast majority of Z's out there have the VLSD rear diffs but whatever. Glad they finally released it.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 PM
sagi

think you could get a groupbuy going?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

A group-buy is a definate possibility. I would like to know how much interest there would be, and if the people interested are the open diff folks, or the VLSD folks.

Unfortuanely, Quaife's pricing structure provides VERY little margin, so I am not sure how much of a discount I can offer.

However, if we get several people interested, I can negotiate with them for better pricing for everyone. Lets see where this goes.

Quaife LSD SERIOUS Group-Buy list only:

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
Old 07-19-2005, 03:11 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quaife LSD SERIOUS Group-Buy list only:

1) dklau33 (Darren) VLSD
2)
3)
4)
5)
Old 07-19-2005, 03:18 PM
onyx350z

If anyone is interested I have an open dif off my base Z that I am willing to sell. I already did the pumpkin swap to the Viscous, so no trades on that. PM me if interested.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:34 PM
DBZCat

what exactly do I need since I have a base model. What do I need to swap out with someone? I'm not familiar with LSD and all that at all.... all i know is that I have a base and don't have one!!!

also, what is the loud clicking people keep talking about with the aftermarket lsd, will this be very noisy under normal driving conditions?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:46 PM
THX723

DBZCat,
I'm getting some conflicting info from the e-mails w. Quaife. I will reconfirm with Quaife on what exactly is needed for both OPEN and vLSD folks tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Last edited by THX723; 07-19-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:05 PM
dklau33

DBZ... the Quaife doesn't make those clicking or popping sounds like a cltuch type lsd does at low speeds. The Quaife is a Torsen type lsd and is quiet and seamless in operation when it kicks in.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:18 PM
imoz

Is there any performance advantage of a Quaife style LSD as opposed to the other LSDs available (like the ATS and of course the Nismo, Cusco, et.al.)?

In another thread it was mentioned that a potential disadvantage of this style of LSD is that when a wheel lifts it becomes like an open diff and sends power to that wheel. Are there any advantages other than quieter operation and smoother engagement? Since the price point is similar to the ATS I'm wondering if there are any significant advantages to be aware of.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:24 PM
THX723

Originally Posted by imoz
Is there any performance advantage of a Quaife style LSD as opposed to the other LSDs available (like the ATS and of course the Nismo, Cusco, et.al.)?

In another thread it was mentioned that a potential disadvantage of this style of LSD is that when a wheel lifts it becomes like an open diff and sends power to that wheel. Are there any advantages other than quieter operation and smoother engagement? Since the price point is similar to the ATS I'm wondering if there are any significant advantages to be aware of.
The advantages of the gear-type Quaife LSD vs. clutch-type LSD (Cusco, Nismo, Kaaz, ATS, etc.) are as follows:
1. Infinite variability makes for seemless LSD engament.
2. No (clutch pack) noises at any points of operation.
3. No inside tire lock-up (chirping) while attempting tight turns.
4. Virtually maintenance free (no more than your stock unit).

The disadvantages are:
1. Lost of torque transfer when one wheel lifts.

Realistically ... unless you are involved in the most competitive road racing (or Formula-D style drifting), this is not of a major concern. Even there, there are plenty profession race cars that uses Quaife differential. It is a compromising situation.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:52 PM
bullseye

I'm sure the answer to this question is obvious, but I'm completely awestruck.

I think I understood you to say this new Quaife ATB Differential will be a simple drop-in swap for the stock open diff on my 2003 5AT G35s. Did I understand you correctly, or is it only wishful thinking on my part?

I had one of these on my '95 Maxima SE 5MT, and it was superb. I'd love to have one of these installed. Please tell me I'm in business! Thank you.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Z BOY

i like my quaife slippery!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:21 PM
DBZCat

I will be awaiting info about the exact items needed THX723. Thanks for finding out all this information, interested in the group buy but want to know what all I need and how much $$$ it is going to cost. I've spent alot this past month
Old 07-20-2005, 12:15 PM
THX723

Originally Posted by DBZCat
I will be awaiting info about the exact items needed THX723. Thanks for finding out all this information, interested in the group buy but want to know what all I need and how much $$$ it is going to cost. I've spent alot this past month
These are the words I recieved (however, everyone should note I do not hold responsibilities for any msinformations ).

For the OPEN differential group:
The Quiafe LSD will indeed drop right in.

For the vLSD differential group:
2 stub axles (left & right) will need to be replaced with the models for the open differential.

For OPEN and vLSD group:
This may also be a good time to inspect the inner axle bearing, race and seal. Replace if necessary. It is sometime possible to damage those while removing the stub axles.

I'm not sure how much the stub axles go for ... I believe somewhere around $250 at the dealer (for both)???

... hope that clears it up for yall.

Last edited by THX723; 07-20-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:16 PM
THX723

Originally Posted by bullseye
I'm sure the answer to this question is obvious, but I'm completely awestruck.

I think I understood you to say this new Quaife ATB Differential will be a simple drop-in swap for the stock open diff on my 2003 5AT G35s. Did I understand you correctly, or is it only wishful thinking on my part?

I had one of these on my '95 Maxima SE 5MT, and it was superb. I'd love to have one of these installed. Please tell me I'm in business! Thank you.
Bullseye,
In short ... yes, ya lucky bastard. Buy one and it drops right in!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Bad move by Quaife to do it for open differentials. Only one model is open differential, did they really think that that would be the majority of the market? And adding on costs for buying the stub axles to an already expensive LSD was also a downside IMO. (granted, it's expensive for good reason)
Old 07-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

THX is correct....if you have an open diff, its a direct drop in swap. Keep in mind that when changing diffs, you should buy a two new bearings/races, and two oil seals. The bearings are pressed into the diff, and will likely be damaged if you try to remove them.

You will need these parts, regardelss of what diff you choose.

The Quaife is a couple hunderd bucks more than the ATS, and as THX mentioned, gear driven diffs are seamless, they dont actually "lock" like traditional LSD design.

The ATS Carbon is, IMHO, one of the best traditional diffs on the market, and its engagement is very smooth. But with the Quaife, you wont feel it at all.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:37 PM
dklau33

Sharif, do you know about how much it would cost to get all the extra parts for us VLSD guys? Stub axles, bearings, races, and seals. Sounds like this is approaching the $2,000 mark just for parts.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Smokie

Open diff, im interested in swapping it for the stock vlsd to those considering the quaife. Email me at Onur.Kalar@gmail.com if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Quaife LSD ... finally available!