Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Anybody install an aftermarket exhaust system yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 04:28 PM
vicmar90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody install an aftermarket exhaust system yet?

With all the talk of various exhaust systems, I have yet to hear of anyone that has gone ahead and done an install. Is there anyone I missed? Please advise as I am curious as to what you think of the sound and performance of your system?

Thanks.
Victor
Old 10-28-2002, 05:17 PM
rouxeny

Hey Victor, the systems are out there. So far, none has actually been shown to have any significant dyno improvement, and all of them cost over $1000. Some are over $2000.

I don' t think that this will be a common mod for a while.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:41 PM
vicmar90

Hey Andrew I tried to PM you but my emails got kicked back (I guess your mailbox is full). Please advise when you are clear.

The B&B system from what I read is under $900 and StrictlyZ is trying to put a group buy together to try to reduce this further. They are claiming a modest performance increase (6.1HP & 5.1 lb-ft Torque) but I haven't seen data from any of the other systems out so far. I think Amuse is the only other that has published higher performance numbers but I look at aesthetics also and the B&B system to me looks much better and many people have high praise for their quality.

My only concern is the sound. I definitely would like a deeper, richer sound than the factory sound but I do not want a sound thats too loud and reverberates inside the car. Yuichi is planning on getting the B&B system so I am curious to hear his comments on the sound as I am definitely interested in this system.

Keep in touch.
Victor
Old 10-29-2002, 06:40 AM
rouxeny

Thanks for the heads up Victor. It's fixed.

I think I'm willing to let other people be the test subjects before I make any decision regarding an exhaust.

Hopefully, when we go to that Dunkin Donuts cruise next year, both the cars won't be totally stock.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:02 AM
vicmar90

Yes, when need to do something. Too many Chrome Silver cars that are all the same. I hope to have some mods. done before next summer. I ordered the clear white finishers and I hope to have a performance mod. done by then (exhaust, air intake, headers, chip, or whatever sounds good that won't affect my warranty). I will keep you posted.
Victor
Old 11-08-2002, 11:06 AM
ZunZet350Z

Default I prototyped the B&B exhaust...

Hey guys, I'm the one who protoyped the B&B exhaust. I live in the Phoenix where Billy Boat's factory is located. I received the grand tour and was really impressed. Virtually, the entire fabrication process is performed by hand. You can see my car and hear the system on this website www.bbexhaust.com, just pull up the sights and sounds section and look for the 350Z.

In response to some of your questions, the new system dropped 17 pounds, it is now tucked up under the rear deck quite nicely, so the muffler does not bulge out, with a K&N and the new exhaust, my dyno results went from 236 stock to 248rwhp. It sounds throaty when you lean into the accelerator, and it is pretty calm in 6th at highway speed. In other words, you can carry on a conversation in the car.

I was at the DesertZ club meeting 2 nights ago, me and another club member with a track sunset Z were set up side by side to listen to the difference. HHHUUUGGGEEEE!!!! He was sold immediately. Also, of all the exhausts I have heard and read about, this one has the best bang for the buck.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:38 AM
vicmar90

Sounds good. I am leaning towards the B&B but being that winter is coming soon in the Northeast I am going to wait until the Spring to do anything.

Thanks for the info.
Victor
Old 11-08-2002, 12:06 PM
ZunZet350Z

Default No problemo

Anything I can do to help......
Old 11-08-2002, 12:41 PM
synergytheory

Scottsdale huh! I hope I see you driving around sometime!
I'm around Shea and 115th.

I seen a Brickyard on my street, then 2 mins later I seen a Pikes peak White on Shea...They look so good in the flesh.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:06 PM
ZunZet350Z

Default Synergytheory

I am at 136th north of Shea. That car is my everyday driver. Have you thought about joining the DesertZ club. I am the charter 350Z member and since we have added three more 350Z's. We need to grow the membership. I think it has some good benefits to it, like shows at the Pavilions, autocross only days, in town and out of town runs, etc. We meet on the first Wednesday of the month at Scottsdale Nissan on McDowell Rd. in a conference room in the service area, the last meeting was 2 days ago. Check it out at www.desertzassociation.com. I only joined last month, and in a short time I have met some nice fellow Z enthusiasts.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:37 PM
synergytheory

Hey ZunZet,

Well at the moment I am only a 350Z drooler, I hope to be a 350Z driver in a year or so. I just moved to Arizona from Australia about 4 months ago. It's tough living on just the Wifes income. I've just started my business here, and I hope it'll go well enough to get a Z next year (fingers crossed).

When I do get a Z (oh yes it will be mine) I will definitely join the club, bookmarked the site!

I've seen quite a few Z's around the Scottsdale area, it's a nice change from Boxsters, BMWs and Z06s.

Haven't seen a LeMans though, thats the colour I want If I see one I'll give a beep and see if its you!

Last edited by synergytheory; 11-08-2002 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:33 AM
Zmeflyby

236 to 248..damn thats a big jump!
Old 11-09-2002, 10:49 AM
Grey Matter

How easy would it be to self installed? Or is it something for a shop to do?
Old 11-11-2002, 08:19 AM
ZunZet350Z

Default Grey Matter

I am no gearhead, therefore my first suggestion would be for a specialty shop to do it. That said, you would also want to have them do it for warranty purposes. There is a lifetime guarantee from B&B for the exhaust system, and I imagine a shop would also provide a warranty for the work. You lose the Nissan warranty for the exhaust once this system is installed on your car.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Clyde

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed Flowmaster

Had a local shop remove the stock muffler and replace it with a flowmaster 80 and I was really impressed with the sound. I went the next set and removed the pre muffler and put in a straight pipe and I think it sound even better. The muffler replacement gave me a throaty growl with a burble when you back off and a higher pitch snarl around 3500 to 4000. With the pre muffler removed it became raspier but I think it sounds better. Total cost for all parts and install $400.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:55 PM
z461

Originally posted by rouxeny
Hey Victor, the systems are out there. So far, none has actually been shown to have any significant dyno improvement, and all of them cost over $1000. Some are over $2000.

I don' t think that this will be a common mod for a while.
I think that in the next 3 weeks after the Borla exhaust comes out with dyno improvements of I'm guessing 6-10 RWHP increases and pricing below $700 (probably WELL below) many people will be getting exhausts. This is all info I got from a person I met whose friend has his 350Z used as the Borla tester.

Last edited by z461; 11-11-2002 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:04 PM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm leaning toward trying out the GReddy Evolution system when it comes out.

I don't understand why none of the Japanese tuners like Top Secret, Amuse, etc. are coming out with stainless steel systems. Everything is Ti these days.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:51 PM
webcarconnection

Default Re: No problemo

Originally posted by ZunZet350Z
Anything I can do to help......
The Dyno # are from the B&B factory or are 3rd party, because all the dyno# a saw are in the 6-7 rwhp.

Its supposed to do 245 rwhp stock, rigth?
Just wondering!
Old 11-14-2002, 03:42 PM
stiv

I also plan on installing an exhaust system as soon as I see some hard data...

At the moment, the b&b and borla sound tempting...

The Japanese market has numerous exausts (I've seen them in the Best Motoring and Hot Version video tapes as well as magazines like Option). They seem throatier/louder than stock but I wanna see the dyno facts... Some of the tips look stock but others feature the N1 style coffee can tips which I think can look cool but not on my car... Some of these kits are available through JDM parts vendors/distributors, etc. Basically, you've gotta know someone who can get stuff from Japan...

We'll just have to wait and see which company puts out the most cost effective kit...

I found the Fujitsubo Legalis R stainless steel 3" catback system at zedparts.com. It'll be good for forced induction z33's... and it doesn't have 6" Maxwell House tips...

Let's keep each other posted...

Quick Reply: Anybody install an aftermarket exhaust system yet?