Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

The REAL answer to the question: CAI Vs Pop Charger!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 08:58 PM
chazzg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The REAL answer to the question: CAI Vs Pop Charger!!!

Let me start by saying that this was Intended to be a reply to this thread

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....55#post1081255

But as I like to Do, I started to give to much Info that was not needed for that thread, and I know that more people would want to see this Info, than would read that thread. So I started this one.

I have this kind of set up. I just got an INTAKE ADAPTER and filter off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33659

At first I just used the new, better filter on the end of the Full AEM CAI (the JWT Pop would not Fit) And that really increased the Air flow(from 13 -14 gm/sec @ 60mph to 16 - 17 gm/sec) and still had the great air intake temps (an average of 10 deg above ambient temp)

Then, I bought the V3 hood, and was thinking about getting a new front end with the front air intake "nostrils", so I figured I'd see how the Pop Charger would work out. I Attached the intake Adapter to the Pop Charger the the adapter to the rubber piece that is connected to the MAF. Worked like a charm.

The Pop charger has the best air flow rate of the 4 intakes I have tested, but better yet was its Response. With the AEM CAI in its normal form, my air flow would go from 13 - 14 gm/sec(at 60 Mph in 6th gear) to 30+ gm/sec Then to 70+ gm/sec when at WOT. With the Pop Charger in the same situation there is now no pause in air flow. It will go From 16- 17 Straight to 80+ gm/sec.

Also, the Temps on the Pop Charger are not as bad as most people believe, they run about 12 to 15 Deg above ambient when MPH is above 40. BUT the A/C has a huge effect on the temps of the pop Charger. With the A/C on I have seen intake temps of 170+ with the pop charger at speeds under 40MPH with the AEM I never saw temps over 130. With the A/C off the Temp with the Pop charger Drop much faster than the CAI, but the CAI never got as hot as the Pop charger.

So its my Conclusion that the Pop Charger is best for colder areas, but a CAI will be of MUCH more benefit in hotter (+90 deg) areas. since I live in Dallas TX. I will be running the CAI in the Summer and the Pop Charger the rest of the year.

just Remember the A/C is the Worst enemy of the Pop Charger

Now I have not had a chance to test, what I think the absolute best Setup on a NA 350Z will be, the Pop Charger on the end of the Injen CAI . I think it will Yield the best Intake temps and the best Air Flow. but the Long tub of the Injen might not help with the air flow rates.

If you have any Questions, Feel Free to ask
Old 10-04-2004, 09:56 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write-up. I've always said that the popcharger will get nice cool air most of the time that you need it anyway, and nobody ever believed me. Nice to know that it has the best flow too.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure how you managed to get down to +10 degree's to ambiant when past MAF temp measurements on the popcharger have shown +19 to ambiant at 60mph. And that was a setup that used reflective insulation from just behind the filter all the way up to the throttle body. The oem system is a cold air intake, +9-10 to ambiant.

And theirs this bit of info on expecting more flow with intake mods.

Originally posted by Q45tech
Flow rates are how aftermarket confuses you into thinking a mod does anything.

The engine can only injest 214 ci/2......x rpm all divided by 1728 = 402 CFM @6500 rpm if it had 100% VE vs 280 CFM @4500 rpm.

By definition the torque peak rpm is the hight VE point [most air per cylinder gulp]. As the rpm goes above this point the restrictions from the intake valves and time for air to pass the valves starts a small but steady decline in efficiency.
By 6500 rpm the torque has fallen to 214 lb/ft/260 peak= 82% efficiency SO instead of ~~ 402 CFM the flow is 402 x 0.82=~~ 330 CFM @ 6500 rpm............at 6,000 rpm the efficiency might be 85-87%.

The correct way to measure the restriction of all the stuff in front of the throttle body is to tap a rubber line in front and read the pressure restriction from the atmosphere in inches of water with a MANOMETER. Typical HIGHEST readings are in the order of 11-13 " of water column [11/27.7= ~~0.397 psi negative or 0.4 x 6.8= 2.7% restriction to flow.

Air filter might be 1" water column and MAF ~~ 7".........the other 4" comes from air box and and air ducts from MAF to throttle body.

You can't do anything about 64% of the losses so you are playing with 1% [2-3 HP] that remains.

Other than the sound mods create there is little to be gained per $100 of expense!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Old 10-05-2004, 11:30 AM
kzshin

have you tried pop charge, short ram pipe and intake duct on bumper?? I think that will be the best setup.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Strife350z

awesome research, thanks for posting... since I'm in Toronto, this confirms that the popcharger was indeed the right decision
Old 10-05-2004, 06:01 PM
chazzg

Originally posted by Gsedan35
Not sure how you managed to get down to +10 degree's to ambiant when past MAF temp measurements on the popcharger have shown +19 to ambiant at 60mph. And that was a setup that used reflective insulation from just behind the filter all the way up to the throttle body. The oem system is a cold air intake, +9-10 to ambiant.

And theirs this bit of info on expecting more flow with intake mods.

+10 deg over ambient was with the AEM CAI. the Pop Charger is more like +12. Like tonight ambient temp of 77 deg with 46% hum. And my intake temp was 85 - 89 with a speed of 65 to 75mph.

As far as what you Quoted, that Logic makes sense if we are talking about air being forced in to the TB, like with FI, then you would have to worry about engine efficiency with Max air flow. But on a NA engine air is being pulled in (at no where near max efficiency for the engine). So with intakes we are trying to get the most amount of dense, cold air, in to the engine the fastest. The more air the ECU sees, the more fuel it will add, which will make more HP or at the very least make the engine run More efficiently.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:05 PM
chazzg

Originally posted by kzshin
have you tried pop charge, short ram pipe and intake duct on bumper?? I think that will be the best setup.

I have not tried it with the intake duct yet, That is not as easy as just swiching intakes. But if i get a new front end then I will test that set up and post the findings here
Old 10-05-2004, 06:24 PM
axxizzer

thanks alot

Now I am gonna sell my popcharger and buy an INJEN CAI

hope thatll help!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:51 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got +10 ambient temps on my stock intake on a 90degree day... in a black car no less....

edit: on a highway if that matters.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:06 AM
alininger2001

So the AEM Intake, had the same intake temps as the stock intake?
Old 10-08-2004, 08:09 AM
sisco534

Will the filter you got off ebay fit the AEM long cold air intake ?If so it looks like it would get moe air flow. I think I will try it
Old 10-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Speedracer

Default I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say this......

Originally posted by chazzg
Let me start by saying that this was Intended to be a reply to this thread

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....55#post1081255

But as I like to Do, I started to give to much Info that was not needed for that thread, and I know that more people would want to see this Info, than would read that thread. So I started this one.

I have this kind of set up. I just got an INTAKE ADAPTER and filter off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33659

At first I just used the new, better filter on the end of the Full AEM CAI (the JWT Pop would not Fit) And that really increased the Air flow(from 13 -14 gm/sec @ 60mph to 16 - 17 gm/sec) and still had the great air intake temps (an average of 10 deg above ambient temp)

Then, I bought the V3 hood, and was thinking about getting a new front end with the front air intake "nostrils", so I figured I'd see how the Pop Charger would work out. I Attached the intake Adapter to the Pop Charger the the adapter to the rubber piece that is connected to the MAF. Worked like a charm.

The Pop charger has the best air flow rate of the 4 intakes I have tested, but better yet was its Response. With the AEM CAI in its normal form, my air flow would go from 13 - 14 gm/sec(at 60 Mph in 6th gear) to 30+ gm/sec Then to 70+ gm/sec when at WOT. With the Pop Charger in the same situation there is now no pause in air flow. It will go From 16- 17 Straight to 80+ gm/sec.

Also, the Temps on the Pop Charger are not as bad as most people believe, they run about 12 to 15 Deg above ambient when MPH is above 40. BUT the A/C has a huge effect on the temps of the pop Charger. With the A/C on I have seen intake temps of 170+ with the pop charger at speeds under 40MPH with the AEM I never saw temps over 130. With the A/C off the Temp with the Pop charger Drop much faster than the CAI, but the CAI never got as hot as the Pop charger.

So its my Conclusion that the Pop Charger is best for colder areas, but a CAI will be of MUCH more benefit in hotter (+90 deg) areas. since I live in Dallas TX. I will be running the CAI in the Summer and the Pop Charger the rest of the year.

just Remember the A/C is the Worst enemy of the Pop Charger

Now I have not had a chance to test, what I think the absolute best Setup on a NA 350Z will be, the Pop Charger on the end of the Injen CAI . I think it will Yield the best Intake temps and the best Air Flow. but the Long tub of the Injen might not help with the air flow rates.

If you have any Questions, Feel Free to ask
I can't believe how much people are getting worked up over a few measly hp. There is NOTHING that CONSISTENTLY has been shown to work better than the stock intake system on this vehicle. An intake on this car is purely a mod for the sake of a mod. That's fine to do, but just admit that that's all it is!!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 11:21 AM
pyropete

I decided to go with the pop charger.. A million people cannot be wrong! (talking about all the people on this site, and 350zmotoring.com) that swear by the pop charger over the CAI.

I am going to dyno my car w/ and w/o and track it both ways to see the difference..
Old 10-09-2004, 04:42 PM
stu46

Default Re: I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say this......

Originally posted by Speedracer
I can't believe how much people are getting worked up over a few measly hp. There is NOTHING that CONSISTENTLY has been shown to work better than the stock intake system on this vehicle. An intake on this car is purely a mod for the sake of a mod. That's fine to do, but just admit that that's all it is!!!!
I can't believe how much you get worked up over other peoples car.......
Old 10-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Driven

Hey...a few horsepower is a few horsepower! If people are bent about taking a few pounds out here and there it equates to the same function of hp/weight ratio equaling better acceleration etc. Anyway...guess I'm either modding just to mod...or believing thousands of others foolishly. Anyway, I just ordered the Injen intake, and my understanding is that it comes in such a way that you can install it with a short, or long connection. Is there any evidence that the longer one offsets the supposed advantage of locating the intake further away from engine heat and gives more of a true cold intake? I'm probably going to get the CF hood scoop eventually...but was wondering in the meanwhile whether one is proven superior over the other?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Driven
Hey...a few horsepower is a few horsepower! If people are bent about taking a few pounds out here and there it equates to the same function of hp/weight ratio equaling better acceleration etc. Anyway...guess I'm either modding just to mod...or believing thousands of others foolishly. Anyway, I just ordered the Injen intake, and my understanding is that it comes in such a way that you can install it with a short, or long connection. Is there any evidence that the longer one offsets the supposed advantage of locating the intake further away from engine heat and gives more of a true cold intake? I'm probably going to get the CF hood scoop eventually...but was wondering in the meanwhile whether one is proven superior over the other?
But it's not a few horsepower, that's the point. All the dyno's and data point's to the fact that you do not get more power from intake mods. Why do you think we've had a dyno comparo of exhaust systems and not one on intakes. The oem exhaust has flaws, the oem intake doesn't. You don't see dyno post's proclaiming "wow look at how much power my intake made".

Long tube CAI's that draw from the fender area, do not show factual intake temp readings that are any better then the oem intake. It would take a 10 degree drop to gain a 1% improvement in HP from colder air. Best I've ever seen is 3 degree's lower then oem, I've seen that on my intake and on a custom Injen that draw's from the very front of the car. 3 degree just doesn't amount to anything however.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:14 AM
Driven

shoot...that's another $250 out the window...wonder what the return policy is....how can they advertise as follows if your informatin is correct:

Injen Cold Air Intake System With Heat Deflector

This is what we have been waiting for, a true cold air intake system that adds proven horsepower. This system has shown a 10.6 horsepower increase on the dyno at the rear wheels. The system includes everything needed for a quick install including filter. (Polished Tube with Red Hose Shown)

I'd like the facts if I'm going to argue false advertising and try for my money back!
Old 10-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Driven

Damn...that girl above is HOT! Anyway, anyone care to comment. I've written the place I purchased from pointing out what the advertisement reads...granted they are only posting what Injen is claiming...but regardless...since that is where I purchased from, if the claim is huuey, I'm going to try to argue false advertising and try for cash back!
Old 10-13-2004, 06:05 PM
ramdaspadhye

Originally posted by Driven
Damn...that girl above is HOT! Anyway, anyone care to comment. I've written the place I purchased from pointing out what the advertisement reads...granted they are only posting what Injen is claiming...but regardless...since that is where I purchased from, if the claim is huuey, I'm going to try to argue false advertising and try for cash back!
You're really not getting an intake for the sake of HP on the Z's. The Acura RSX-S, for example, responds extremely well to mods. Honda's new K-series has to be the best engine as far as it's response to mods that Honda has come out with. The motor and airbox are designed to take in as much air as the engine will need. I know the K&N FIPK for a supercharged 3.4l v6 Toyota Tacoma will all only 1-3 hp increase, while an Amsoil drop-in filter dynoed a 6 hp increase over stock, and that's just with a drop-in filter. Has anyone tried dynoing just a drop-in filter in the stock airbox? Perhaps it could help. Amsoil makes extremely high-flowing air filters for half the price of K&N and in some cases, out-performs them.

Just to let you know, I don't own a 350z as of now. I've been bouncing around between the Acura RSX-S, the fun-to-drive RX-8, and the 350z. I'm more into the handling and agility aspects of the cars. Hope this little bit of info helps...
Old 10-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Driven

So here's a link to another thread with Dyno's done at the same shop. So you guys are calling these results bull, huh? I might have saved a few bucks since it doesn't seem there is any hard, fast, proof the Injen is really any better than some of the less expensive products like JWT...but with restocking fees...I might as well keep what I got. I guess I'm the eternal optimist and don't feel these results were "fudged" just for the sake of it.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=95324

Quick Reply: The REAL answer to the question: CAI Vs Pop Charger!!!