Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Feeler: Group Buy on Bigger Injectors and ARP head studs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feeler: Group Buy on Bigger Injectors and ARP head studs

Well, for those that got in on my Group Buy for forged rods and pistons....it's time to start guaging interest in the other pieces we'll need to get our built motors together. Of course, everyone....and I mean everyone...is welcome to join in!

I'm going to contact RC Engineering and ARP tomorrow about doing a group buy on bigger injectors, and ARP head studs, since it looks like most of us will need these items to assemble our motors. Like the pistons, you'll be able to choose the size injectors you desire. I will likely go 650cc or 750cc. List price is roughly $600 for the set. I'm sure the group buy price will be much less. The bigger injectors will be identical to the outside dimensions of the 440's many of us are running already, so it will be a simple swap for the bigger ones. Those with factory 280cc injectors will need to cut and splice your injector wiring harness...it's really easy. You'll also need to grind down the fuel rail just slightly, and install a couple of spacer. It's pretty straightforward, since everyone with the Greddy kit has already done this.

To get the larger injectors working with your car, you'll need to have an eManage or a TS Reflash (380cc) and eManage. I am not aware of any other way to get the bigger injectors working with either a combo reflash and eManage, or at least the eManage alone. These devices will be used to scale the injectors to your car will idle and cruise normally.

So here we go! Once we get the names of the interested parties, I'll move those over to the Group-Buy forum. I'll start working on the preliminary pricing.

GQ_626's Group Buy: Bigger RC Injectors, and ARP Head Studs

1) Gq_626
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
Old 08-15-2004, 05:19 PM
joenismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in the injectors. Probably the 750cc set.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:23 PM
zimbo

I'm potentially interested.

--Steve
Old 08-15-2004, 05:34 PM
G3po

Default another GB

I'm definately interested in the head/main studs, but don't know about the injectors yet, pending tests by APS on the new low CR teswt mule. The base APS kit comes with 500cc injectors which may be enough for the power levels (~500rwhp on 91 octane) that I'm seeking. Thanx
Old 08-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Enron Exec

Im in on the ARP head studs and 750cc RC injectors.

Its sooo hard to decide!
Old 08-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

1) Gq_626
2) joenismo (injectors)
3) zimbo (potentially )
4) G3Pro (studs)
5) Enron Exec
6)
7)
Old 08-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Regarding injector size...as is many times the case...there is more than one way to skin a cat.

You can either go bigger on the injectors, or increase fuel pressure. In an ideal world, you chose an injector that is working at 80% duty cycle at it's peak demand level for your WHP requirements. The other method is to take a smaller injector, running at 100% duty cycle, and then increase fuel futher by increasing fuel pressure...usually via a boost dependent fuel pressure regulator.

Both scenarios will work, but the first version is safer, and overall, a more robust solution than overpressurizing smaller injectors. Injectors like to work at about 50-60psi of pressure. As fuel pressure increases further, you can run the risk of having a "stuck open" injector. Also, high fuel pressure increases the stress on fuel lines, fittings, etc....and over time, they can weaken..or even worse..leak. I've seen guys running 100psi of fuel pressure...and I'm like...nutty. But it still can work...just not ideal.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:28 AM
mcduck

I may be for the injectors, Sharif. Any idea what the cost will look like yet?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:10 AM
ZxRage

I am in to get one set for sure, but I may possibly get two sets. I will need to find out more info.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I am waiting for RC Enginnering to call me back on the price...he is checking with the boss.

1) Gq_626
2) joenismo (injectors)
3) zimbo (potentially )
4) G3Pro (studs)
5) Enron Exec
6) McDuck
7) ZxRage

Also, for this GB, we'll likey offer a head/main stud kit. This makes the most sense, since its only marginally more expensive to get the main studs, and it's something that is highly recommended you do anyways while the motor is out. Doesnt make much sense to change just the head studs, and not the mains as well. I should have preliminary pricing in a day or so.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:27 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure that when you order the injectors from RC that you make sure they know they are for the 350z. I cant recall cause its been a while since I looked at it... but I think that they modified them physically to fit... they are definatly the standard RC injectors but I think that they might have put them on a lathe and modified either the top or bottom of them... so make sure that gets done to all the ones you buy if they are doing so... I am almost positive of this. you could always do it yourself when you get them, but of course it would make everyones life easier to have them fit 100% out of the box.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by phunk
make sure that when you order the injectors from RC that you make sure they know they are for the 350z. I cant recall cause its been a while since I looked at it... but I think that they modified them physically to fit... they are definatly the standard RC injectors but I think that they might have put them on a lathe and modified either the top or bottom of them... so make sure that gets done to all the ones you buy if they are doing so... I am almost positive of this. you could always do it yourself when you get them, but of course it would make everyones life easier to have them fit 100% out of the box.
Yup, already checked. They'll be specifically designed to work with the 350Z, but he didnt mention having to modify the outer body...just the spray pattern. Either way, they will look exactly like the 440's we have in the car...they'll have 650 or 750cc laser etched into the sides.

Still trying to sell on the pricing and feasibility...hang tight folks.

I think I have what I need for the GB on the Head/Main stud kit. I'll be posting that up within the next couple days.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Hi everyone,

Well, I'd like to keep this thread going, but I'm considering hold off on this group buy until some of us have "digested" the forged internals GB. I know that was a lot of money for everyone, so maybe we need to recharge the batteries for a couple of weeks?? Just a thought. Since the rods wont be done for 5-6 weeks, and the turnaround time on the studs and injectors is only 3 weeks, we have a few weeks of slack time. So unless you guys want me to do this now, lets' just keep the thread alive, and I'll setup the group buy in a couple of weeks. We could use the thread to discuss injector size options and the like.

Lemme know what you guys think.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:01 PM
jak

Hey gq

Sign me up for the head/main stud kit. Don't need the injectors.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

1) Gq_626
2) joenismo (injectors)
3) zimbo (potentially )
4) G3Pro (studs)
5) Enron Exec
6) McDuck
7) ZxRage
8) Jak (studs)

FYI...price on the stud kit will be a bit over $300 plus shipping and fees.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Zcool

I've ordered the APS TT kit and it comes with its own fuel management system (larger injectors included) so I won't need the injectors part of this group buy but I would be interested in the forged head studs.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Enron Exec

FYI...price on the stud kit will be a bit over $300 plus shipping and fees.
Thats for the head studs and main studs i assume? Or is this a kit for all the major fasteners in the motor? If its not a complete kit, with every lil bolt or stud, can anyone think of anything we are leaving out, or is that just about it? Thanx.

Last edited by Enron Exec; 08-16-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:17 PM
joenismo

That would be just for head and main studs. Remember when using main studs it will be necessary to check your main line and possibly line hone. The studs pull torque differently from the block than bolts. You should also inquire about this with the machine shop you are using. I know mine does have the tools to check and line hone, but several did not, because of the distance between the cylinders and the main caps with the girdle.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:53 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Thats for the head studs and main studs i assume? Or is this a kit for all the major fasteners in the motor? If its not a complete kit, with every lil bolt or stud, can anyone think of anything we are leaving out, or is that just about it?
It the price for the main and head studs. There are no other bolts or fasteners that need to be changed. The other main pieces needed are rod bearings from Nissan, head gaskets..etc.

1) Gq_626
2) joenismo (injectors)
3) zimbo (potentially )
4) G3Pro (studs)
5) Enron Exec
6) McDuck
7) ZxRage
8) Jak (studs)
9) Zcool (studs)
Old 08-17-2004, 05:00 AM
t32gzz