Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 09:08 PM
InternetABYSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)

Take it for what its worth...but I have been in contact with nissan engineers because of my car problem and they are shipping my transmission to califoria. They were all Japanese, the NNA guy incharge of training techs and handles all the service and parts departments in my region.

Not giving any names but this guy KNEW HIS SH*T. (Blew my mind.) He said something about hes the guy that trains the techs on the new model cars or something like that. Said something about a 310 hp V8 truck coming and a SUV and that alot of new models appearing to public in December.

I talked to him for 2 hours tonight and asked him alot of questions because he knew all the answers and confidently stated so. He helps the engineer "Task Force" and is the guy at NNA that has been helping me with my problems. He said my car has raised enough red flags SO I guess my car has become the official test pig thats why they are sending parts back to california.

"Highlights"

He said YOU CANNOT get performance gains with out either reprograming the ecu or faking it by cutting or sodering some wires/circuts and making it think it is running in normal specs. He said thats what aftermarket companies do when they "so called reprogram" the ecu and then charge $1300 bucks for it...(he laughed at that).... He said without faking it would do something about running in fail safe mode which makes it even crapper than stock specs....his example to my dumb *** was like windows 98 running in safe mode when there is a error.

He told me to save my money on the aftermarket mods until the air/fuel mapping info is released.

He said that a K&N won't make that much differences because of the way the 02 computers are run...It would just last longer than a normal airfilter.

He kept on saying the ECM needs to be reprogramed and released...OR cheaply faking out the computer by messing with the o2 sensors.

He told me that a easy way to prove that your aftermarket bolt ons aren't working would be to to run emmission tests before and after...if they are the same then your ECU compensated for the bolt on and just changed the mapping back to normal specs aka no gain OR defaulted to fail safe mode aka loss HP

He said that any mod would have to have the program retuned on the ECM to keep the computer from thinking its running too lean or rich. He said emissions are a big source for finding HP and mentions something about 320 hp total for a correctly tuned ecu.

Thats what he heard was capable of...

He said that he knows the specs/diagram of the ecu very well and what wire would need to be cut and resistors that need to be placed.

I told him...he needs to start a aftermarket company and sell it Darn conflict of interests

He also said that the 350z 2003 was detuned to 287.

I asked why...he said NISSAN did it so that the car on its debut wouldnt have major problems with a maxed out air/fuel maping and some kind of curve????? Nissan couldn't risk the 350Z being a flop and press slaming it because of problems. Also keeping the 50 state emissions in legal specs was part of it too. Nissan was conservative on maping the ecu this time. In future Z cars if this launch is successful they will dial up the mapping to increase the power. He also said something like they would increase the mass air flow sensor and essembly that would increase the breathing of the car.

He also said that NISMO is definitly making a turbo kit and HE PERFERRS the supercharger and thinks we should all be going on the forums asking for a nismo supercharger since nissan does pay serious attention to the major forums on the net.....

He went on and on about turbos being more touble than they are worth....

He said the supercharger has less parts, more reliable, and he doesnt have to change the exhaust system. More parts equals more things that can go wrong. He said that the Turbo option would also be very expensive.

Secondly he said it would be a nightmare because owners would boost the heck out of em them and blow their motors. He likes the painless less expensive supercharger and thinks it would be more reliable because of a belt driven pulley that has less problems and mention that the compression was too high for a reliable high boost turbo setup.

MAN I wish I was more technical. He mentioned alot of numbers, compression figures, Volts needed per sensor, Air/fuel mixture levels and so on.

LOL...I bottom lined it for him at the end of the conversation....

HOW CAN I GET MORE HP!!!!!

He said air intake kits, cams and exhaust sytems will just change the sound of the car until you can figure a way to reprogram the car or trick the sensors. He said with them fooled that we would see some slight gains. He mentioned something about the ECU going into fail safe mode again (he lost me there with some more technical figures)

The car will do good with a forced induction kit that is setup correctly with the mapping.....(supercharger all the way he said)

Lastly he said Nitros....That shocked me...I said "really you think its safe to run on the Z ?" then he suddenly changed the topic...LOL

So...moral of the 350z story...ECU and EMISSONS are the enemy.

SUPERCHARGERS and Mass air flow system raised from 20 something to 30 something are what he would do.

Nitros----for race cars only

My brain is on overload with info from him...if i can remeber more stuff he said I'll post it on this thread.

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 10-16-2002 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:13 PM
InternetABYSS

Opps...ALSO....if you guys got some question for me...ILL ASK HIM!!!!

I will write down the answers exactly what he says to your questions...He is also working with some guy at nismo on the launch of new parts sold to the US.

AGAIN he states....pester nissan for a supercharger not the turbo thats in the works.

He will call me again on Friday for status on my car since my new tranny will be here sometime in the next few days.

Oh yeah he said bose fix not ready for release yet.

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 10-16-2002 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:15 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Great post. Does he know when Nissan might up the HP, and by how much? Maybe it'd be worthwhile for some to wait.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:20 PM
InternetABYSS

all he said its capable of 320 hp done correctly AS IS but he did say something about a mass air flow mod...i guess that would mean making it emissions illegal and no room for crappy gas...

I asked When??

He said it depends on how reliable the car is now and how many cars sold and if competitors come out with new cars...and saying nissan wants to keep the Z best in performance in its class.

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 10-16-2002 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:24 PM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Superchargers!!!

Superchargers don't have the infamous lag in power that turbos have as well. Never really liked turbo cars... hence my passing on the WRX and it's ilk. [not meant as a slam against Subaru and their fine car, merely a preference for a normally aspirated engine, or a supercharger if it has to be forced]

Let's see, how do we clamor for a supercharger??

How about this:

Dear Nissan,

I'm 28. I have a wife, 2 kids, and an income figure well into the, uh, more than required range to buy such toys. I would buy a supercharger kit for my Z if you'd a] sell it & b] offer me powertrain warranty if installed by a certified shop.

I want more power, but I also want it to be reliable. I travel in my car quite a bit for my job, and I can't afford to have downtime due to the questionable quality of some aftermarket mods.

Oh, and if you don't, then keep an eye out for the C6, cuz that's where my next chunk of change might be going.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:25 PM
nizl

Great info ABYSS, nice work!

I will have to send you a p0rn star for your troubles...
Old 10-16-2002, 09:27 PM
XeroDgrees

Such a long post and it seemed like it took 2 seconds to read because of the eye catching content!

Can't believe you remembered that much...haha

Great post!

I knew about the ecu and remapping everything manipulating the sensors. It's a trick you use on all cars to get maximum gains!

If you talk to him, ask him about more of the technical things that you got lost on before.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:27 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default very interesting post...

Abyss.... great post... can see the smoke pouring from your ears with the amount of data you got from this Nissan guy.

Sounds like good news for the future.

Maybe we should start a supercharger forum on my350Z to get the word to Nissan.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:34 PM
XeroDgrees

Default Re: very interesting post...

Originally posted by fairladyZ in Japan
Maybe we should start a supercharger forum on my350Z to get the word to Nissan.
Good idea!

I vote for InternetAbyss's Admin functions to be reinstated!

Then, we can get the ball rolling on the supercharger demand and hopefully kill the nismo turbo production time out for the supercharger!
Old 10-16-2002, 09:37 PM
InternetABYSS

Oh yeah forgot this one...

He said that some of the Nismo parts will state FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY....Meaning it will not be covered under warranty...I asked if they would cover the turbo...and he said "I hope not"

He did state nothing is set in stone yet for the NISMO lauch (he said hoping for March\ April for nismo usa) so the rules are still shady on what nissan will cover and what they won't.

He REALLY wants nissan to offer a supercharger as a dealer addon option that will be covered on warranty....I know im repeating this...BUT he kept repeating it to me....GEEZZZ I guess I poured on the I used to own my350z.com story way too much...LOL

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 10-16-2002 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:53 PM
InternetABYSS

OH.....AGAIN I WANNA KNOW what technical questions do u want me to ask him (specifially).....I feel like a retard in this field...I got a good technical source....and I dont know how to change the oil in the car....hee hee

I'm sure that once my car gets fixed im gonna lose this source...so heres your chance to ask...i will refer back to this thread when i talk to him next....I would hate to see you guys talking about stuff later and me be like...DAMN I should have asked that.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:13 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Ah very interesting. Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2002, 10:23 PM
Scafremon

Ask him:

What changes did they make to the production vehicles in mid September (or whatever the date was). They made some improvements to the cars being produced after that, but I never got the details of the changes.

Curious if he will answer this. And if he does, if he will answer honestly and completly.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:37 PM
ZON

AB that is the best low down I have read here lately. I am going to print that one out, even. But what is the matter with your tranny anyway? Sorry I don't have any tech Q's but I know nothing of these new fangled cars anymore.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:18 PM
NissaNZ

I couldn't think of anything having to do with the Z but could you ask him if he knows anything about the GT-R coming to the U.S.. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:42 PM
InternetABYSS

Throbbing Zon.....I have previous posts that explain it...but your a friend so i'll type it again...

They said something like the clutch throw was alot lower than spec and somthing with the clutch plate....The clutch in general was fine no problem....but my tranny due to the issues with the measurements off that was set when my car was made...cause me by driving the car at high rpms to grind the gears. 2nd and third.

The transmission after the clutch was set correctly still was grinding is my guess....so they took mine out fed exed it to california. I hope the research and info given by my tranny hopes other owners in the future. Anyways I recently am waiting for the only spare 350z tranny in the USA (was told that) to be shipped here in less than a week to have it installed...Hopefully after its installed and tested that my car will be problem free.....fingers crossed....

Jeff....I'll make sure to get some type of answer to that....But that is the first Iv'e heard of that one.

my guess is that they made changes to the transmisson and clutch Jeff...hee hee

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 10-16-2002 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:44 PM
fdao

Internet Abyss,

Great info! Here are a few technical questions that I wonder if he could answer:

1) How much boost would an SC be given that the compression ratio (CR) is already on the high side for this car? I suspect to achieve respectable gains similar to a Turbo, the CR would need to be lowered and the boost will need to be increased.

2) Would adding the SC entails swapping for a modified MAF sensor and ECU?

3) Why would adding the usual bolt-ons causes the ECU to either go into limp mode or reverts back to it's original setting? Aren't OEM ECU running rich already?

4) Wouldn't the SC entail changing the exhaust system as well for better efficiency and gains, just like a Turbo?

That's it for now, until I can come up with more.

Very interesting info!
Old 10-17-2002, 12:26 AM
InternetABYSS

good questions

He already answered the first one when explaining why he like the superchager setup better... im just retard so that went over my head.

He mentioned something like the compression was too high for a turbo thats why it would blow it up if people boosted it too high....and that a superchager would work better without having to go into the motor...that help?

Question 3.

He talked about that alot....something to do with the volts on each sensor...if they are changed the ECU realizes the volt change....lets say increased intake flow. The volts would increase...well if that increases it may make the car, he said " vibrate or idle weird" then the ecu will constantly correct itself to reduce the volts back to normal on that sensor. IF it cant it will go to fail safe mode...I still dont totally understand that. He said to properly make any mod work for a gain...Which most mods normally increase oxygen (more airflow). You need to know which sensors get effected by that mod directly and trick them to report to the ecu that they are maintaing the proper volt. He told me a cheap way was using a resistor and a screw...and screw it in till it reads the right volt.....does that make sense??????? Like I said, I was more or less saying to myself...yeah oooohhh ok... Do you have a my350z modding manual for dummies??...hee hee...

He told me if you guys dont believe him do the emission check...it will report the same on a before and after run....

Anyone know what all a emisson test computer reports in the first place?

Man all this sensor computer crap is confusing....

I'll have to ask if the OEM ecu is running rich to start with.

question 4.

He more or less said that the supercharger is a straight bolt on and you dont have to make changes like wastgates, intercoolers, and some other things to do with connection to the exhaust like a turbo does.

He said that it is just belt drivin with a pulley??? Sorry guys I need to read up on how this stuff works and do my homework alittle before I talk to him again ..

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 10-17-2002 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:14 AM
fdao

Originally posted by InternetABYSS
good questions

He mentioned something like the compression was too high for a turbo thats why it would blow it up if people boosted it too high....and that a superchager would work better without having to go into the motor...that help?

Hmmm, that's true, but how much boost can the engine support for an S/C to produce similar HP as a Turbo?

Question 3.

He talked about that alot....something to do with the volts on each sensor...if they are changed the ECU realizes the volt change....lets say increased intake flow. The volts would increase...well if that increases it may make the car, he said " vibrate or idle weird" then the ecu will constantly correct itself to reduce the volts back to normal on that sensor. IF it cant it will go to fail safe mode...I still dont totally understand that. He said to properly make any mod work for a gain...Which most mods normally increase oxygen (more airflow). You need to know which sensors get effected by that mod directly and trick them to report to the ecu that they are maintaing the proper volt. He told me a cheap way was using a resistor and a screw...and screw it in till it reads the right volt.....does that make sense??????? Like I said, I was more or less saying to myself...yeah oooohhh ok... Do you have a my350z modding manual for dummies??...hee hee...

Dayumm, the new generation ECU are much more complicated than I thought. Ok, I understand now.

Old 10-17-2002, 04:43 AM
Z33Fan

It's off topic somewhat, but could you ask if he knows of any problems related to the "rough idle" that's floated around these boards regularly?

At idle in neutral, the car simply seems to puff out more exhaust irregularly, and the tach needle bounces about 125-150rpm, usually lower. Otherwise, the car runs great.

The dealership only wants to do a Consult, and it always comes up fine. What I really want to know is, does this "irregular coughing" of exhaust signify a bigger problem that the dealerships just aren't capable of handling right now?

Thanks again for asking this question for me.

Quick Reply: Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)