Colorado Mountain Drive, 7/17/04

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 01:10 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts
Default Colorado Mountain Drive, 7/17/04

OK everyone, I'm proposing that we get a drive together in about a week. How 'bout we try getting an decently early start on Saturday and travel up to Central City and Blackhawk in the morning. Then, a quick jog SW to I-70 and over to Georgetown. Last time I checked, Guenella Pass was still paved and a nice little trip over to 287. We should be done by mid-afternoon or evening even if we take lots of breaks!

Any questions, suggestions or committments, please post here!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Shogun
Charter Member #54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.

Joe
Old 07-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Bottom

I'm in.
David
Old 07-07-2004, 02:36 PM
peterputter

I'm there... you riding or driving David?

I'm also going this Sat, to the Golden State Trooper's track... have you been it David?

Cheers!
Old 07-07-2004, 03:45 PM
zz-notop

Peter,
I'm going to be at the track this Saturday also. I'm driving a DB Roadster. Say hello. I'd like to put a face with the name.

My name is Craig
Old 07-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Shogun
Charter Member #54

Cool, Asians rule so far. Unless it's old guys.

So, Craig, are you with us or not?

David probably won't be posting back here until Friday or Saturday due to a mini vacation in the hills.

Joe
Old 07-07-2004, 07:39 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Hey there Shogun and my Z bros. I'm borrowing a laptop this week and monitoring the discussions. To Don- Never had the pleasure of running the State Patrol track, but I hope you have a lot of fun. And yes, I'm planning on driving this trip!

From my count, we've got four confirmed with Joe, David, Don and myself (so far)!
Old 07-07-2004, 08:50 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in, but not for the Guanella Pass portion of the trip...I don't think that road is paved all the way over. I wonder if there's an alternate route we could consider taking for the second half of the journey? After the unpaved portion of our Steamboat drive last summer, I don't have any desire to drive the Z over a non-paved road ever again!

And for those going to the CSP track this weekend...have fun, and watch out for 'The Bump.'
Old 07-08-2004, 02:46 AM
peterputter

David: If Guanella Pass is long and not paved, then I turn around with Gary. I won't mind a couple hundred yards of gravel at 15 mpg, but not miles of it, sorry!! If it is paved, or passible for us, how about Deer Creek Canyon Rd (DCCR), for the way back into Littleton? Grab S. Turkey Creek Rd at Twin Forks (hwy 285) and drive south... runs right into it. There's also a Chili's there on S. Kipling Pky where DCCR dumps us off, if that helps in your plans David.

Craig: Looking forward to meeting you. Have you run other tracks, or will this be your first?

Gary: What 'BUMP' ??? Is it worse than the bump just before turn 3 at La Junta? You got me worried!!

Cheers all!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 05:10 AM
GaryM05

Originally posted by peterputter
Gary: What 'BUMP' ??? Is it worse than the bump just before turn 3 at La Junta? You got me worried!!
It's actually more of a crest than a bump like La Junta. It's basically a rise & drop on the back straight, where I would swear that my rear wheels came off the pavement last year the one time that I went over it at full throttle. After that, I always breathed off the throttle just a bit as I was coming up to it, as I didn't want to test the aerodynamics of the Z THAT bad! Just make sure you have the car going in a straight line when you go over it, and it shouldn't be too bad.

Also, we were running counter-clockwise last year. I'm not sure which direction you'll be going at this year's event, but I don't think that this feature of the track would be any issue at all going in the other direction, as the speed probably wouldn't be as high at that part of the track if you're going clockwise.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:58 AM
Mudd

David,

I will pass on this one. I have the Mile Hi Nationals to attend to that weekend at Bandimere.

I am hoping to schedule another drive not too long after this one so that I may get one more nice drive with the group prior to letting the Z go. I do have it for sale right now unfortunatly.

I would call the "hump" more of a "Jump" if you are running counter clockwise. Have fun while you are there, it should be a great time. I liked the track alot, however it's not all that technical which is great for the beginner.

Brian
Old 07-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Bottom

Ron and Craig,
Is the track this Saturday for the ZCCC? And can anyone go, even last minute? I'm going to check out the website for info, but if I can I'll try to make it. David or Gary, do I need my brake pads for this track? I have a freind whos's a cop who drove on the track with a cruiser. He said it was fun. And it doesn't take two hours to get there. Is anyone else from here planning on going?
David
Old 07-08-2004, 12:13 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Paved?

David, I'll be there if we stay on paved roads. Marlene says HI.

Bob
Old 07-08-2004, 02:11 PM
peterputter

Default Golden SPT

Originally posted by Bottom
Is anyone else from here planning on going? .... David
I'm going David, and I also just called in... they never said there were 50 cars signed up yet, so I really don't think there will be a prob. As far as pads go... I have never been here before, but from the layout it doesn't appear that it would strain the stock pads to badly... you might not even have any fade at all.

Looking forward to a fast track day, going one way... and then the other way after lunch.

Don...
Old 07-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Bottom

Don - Thanks for calling and checking on the track. I'll try to make it. If I have time I think I'll change the pads, but if not I won't worry about it. Thanks again,
David
Old 07-08-2004, 02:48 PM
peterputter

Roy told me to get there before 8am, and they will be there to start processing cars at 7:15am...

Hope to see you there!
Old 07-08-2004, 02:49 PM
peterputter

dkmura: sorry for hijacking the thread...
Old 07-08-2004, 04:04 PM
zz-notop

Joe,
I will try to make the drive on the 17th but I have plans for later in the day so I might have to break away early.

David,
The CSP track event is open to all. Just be there for tech inspection by 7:15. Have a Snell 95 helmet or newer and wear cotton clothes with long sleeves. The cost is about $70 for non members. I'm doing this with stock brakes and my car will be doing double duty. My son is going to use the car as well.

Peter,
This is my first for this track. I think the plan is to run CCW in the morning and CW in the afternoon. There will be a food vendor and a photographer there to get that "all wheels off the ground" picture you are craving.

See you there,
Craig
Old 07-08-2004, 04:50 PM
peterputter

Originally posted by zz-notop Peter, This is my first for this track. I think the plan is to run CCW in the morning and CW in the afternoon. There will be a food vendor and a photographer there to get that "all wheels off the ground" picture you are craving.
Craig
A photographer? What a change... I'm usually the one taking pics. It will be interesting to what kind of shots he gets, especially with the 'HUMP' in the track!!!

Old 07-08-2004, 05:36 PM
GaryM05

Originally posted by Bottom
David or Gary, do I need my brake pads for this track? I have a freind whos's a cop who drove on the track with a cruiser. He said it was fun. And it doesn't take two hours to get there. Is anyone else from here planning on going?
David
The CSP track is not particularly hard on brakes. However, as hot as it will be up there on Saturday, everything will heat up that much faster. If it were me, I'd put on track pads. You'll likely survive for a while without them, but you'll want to pay constant attention to your brakes throughout the day. The speeds there are high enough, and the off-track areas unforgiving enough, that some very bad things could happen if you lose your brakes.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun at the track!

Quick Reply: Colorado Mountain Drive, 7/17/04