Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

CUSTOM INTAKE DONE AWESOME RESULTS W/ BLITZ HKS APEXi TRUST READ NOW WHY ITS BETTER!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Wicked4u2c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CUSTOM INTAKE DONE AWESOME RESULTS W/ BLITZ HKS APEXi TRUST READ NOW WHY ITS BETTER!!

Well, for those who don't know what's going on... rodH was asking about a DIY intake. Here is the thread https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=62838
Anyhow, ROAD WARRIOR Made a silly comment (read thread) making it seem like it was very hard and how my idea was stupid... Normally, I would just brush off comments as I laugh most of the time and go about my way as I been working on cars for quite some time when most people that argue with me are just getting into tuning/fixing up whatever... But for some reason, this time I wanted to actually come here and prove someone wrong not to make him look like an idiot, but more for educational purposes and to show that somethings can be done and sometimes the art of buidling our cars is to do custom stuff. I appreciate members like SkidAzzlE who go out and custom do things for their cars, also members like Big Bad Track(sorry misspelled). Those guys and also others do custom stuff that some you can already buy in the market but what I feel it comes down to is making stuff for your car all custom so its unique and at least you can take pride that you did it...

Lets move on now..

Im going to give you why sometimes doing it yourself can be better than buying stuff. Lets take JWT intake Pop Charger.. The going rate is about $125.00? average HP is 6HP That's $20.83 a horsepower. Not bad, honestly best bang for your buck in my opinion! But let me tell you why I wouldnt get one.

A: Their intake filter is just like any China intake that we import which is priced about $10.00. Its really nothing special, filter is used to (hence the name) filter out particles and debri to not get inside our engine bay. If you believe about VENTURI EFFECT, TORNADO, ETC... Your wasting your time! Focus on something that will make more horsepower. So the JWT was a start for me... How would I make this better or if not comparable..

I picked up a Civic intake and start thinking, if the MAF tube didn't have that flange with 4 bolts we can just slip on a filter and call it day which to me is the ideal way for saving money. So I take the intake box out look at the flange and said EASY!! So I talked to my buddy who is a metal expert and had him cut me the civic intake tube a few inches make a plate and weld it so that it fits perfect with the MAF bolts..

Well, the results were fabulous! Put new bolts and fitment was perfect. Now it was time to install it on the car. So the installation was a breeze and in under 5 Minutes it was back on the car ready to go DYNO. We put used a filter made in CHINA (SHOCKING RESULTS) and everything turned out better than I thought, filter placement was in perfect position of the front bumper ram air tube. So that direct air would charge the intake and since I have a Carbon Fiber Vented hood the gill from the hood lande right on top so I was very pleased with that! Here are some pictures installed, the last picture shows a view from inside the tunnel ram air to show how direct the air is.

So now its ready to see what she has. Since we ran a baseline before we knew where the car stood. Strapped her on the Dyno and pulled her I was shocked to see the results 9.7whp... WOW! Not bad... I do have other mods and I feel these mods benifited from the intake making MORE power than usual.

MOVING ALONG....

So now, we decided to strap on a K&N Filter on there to see if any difference in the Dyno... 10min later she is getting pulled and 7.5whp Interesting.... After, pondering for a while I look at both intakes from the inside and as I am doing that I direct the intake towards the light. I compare both, what I noticed was that on the CHINA intake which made more power more light was visible meaning less filtration on the intake so more air and also dust is coming inside the intake more air=MORE POWER. Also CHINA filters are not coated with or pre-oiled like the K&N. Now the K&N showed less light but thats because the K&N is doing its job which is good of course, but I was not disapointed even with the K&N it made more than JWT.

NOW THE FUN STUFF

So we learned that CHINA filters DO MAKE POWER but offer less filtration which in the long run can damage and make your engine less healthy, however keeping a K&N intake as daily driving and popping a CHINA one on the track isn't a bad idea if you ask me. China filters can be picked up from your local shop for about $15.00-$20.00 and K&N go for $30.00-$40.00 (I know wholesalers can get it cheaper so can i )

Trial AND ERROR WHY THIS IS BETTER

Now why would you want to do this? Well, lets see. at the bottom of this post I will show the cost value and upgradeability based on other intakes that cost A LOT MORE!! See, the nice thing about this adapter is that you can change and put your favorite intake APEXi, HKS, GREDDY, BLITZ, ETC... And it will work as all those companies sell standard 3" inlets. Which makes the beauty of this project AWESOME! Now what I do want to do is get an intake from every popular company and dyno test to see the result ::cough:: internet magazine guys you reading this? My car is not stock and had engine mods and performance upgrades which could of made this intake perform better than a stock vehicle so im letting ride like that. I will not post my dyno Graph I am doing stuff and don't want to show where my HP level is currently at as you guys will see in a few months. Most people know I am going TURBO that hasn't changed but have to finish other things first. But what I can do is dyno a stock car (when I get a chance) probably yours JOHN (SSKO771) when your done breaking it in and post a video on-line to show proof of gains.

COST NOW

So you want to do this now, here are the steps and cost. If you have an intake laying around you can use it as your base for the piping, if not go to a muffler shop. They have aluminum 3" piping that I am sure they can cut and sell for under $5.00 Now create a base and line up the screw points, if you know someone with machinery give them your maf plastic piece and have them design it for you. The total cost of the base shouldn't exceed $20.00. So now that you have your base done your pretty much took care of the HARD PART. This next step will make cost go UP DRASTICALLY or keep cost down depending on what filter you decide to go with.

We all know CHINA filters dont filter **** but make POWER! which brings me to believe that companies like AEM, INJEN, use good and well balanced filters and also make power. You can have a filter like FRAM that filters all the dirt but you lose power or get one like these CHINA ones that really dont filter that good but make great power however you decide to go is up to you. That's why name brand companies are limited in power due to liability etc... So we have to be satisfied with whatever they provide. Filters can vary in price as low as $5.00 to as crazy as over $200.00 for a filter!!! thats right, companies like HKS that use foam style are very expensive so dont be surprised if you pay over $100.00. Blitz is a good filter to have, I don't want to compare it to china but its concept is very similar they use metal type mesh to filter particles out not oil paper type so they get more power of their filters.

So now we have $20.00 for the adapter piece and lets say $30.00 for a good filter

TOTAL COST $50.00!

Since we don't know exactly the average HP its really hard to say what the horsepower per dollar is but lets say even at 6whp (based of jwt) thats $8.30 per horsepower... Very acceptable dont you think?

The Greddy Turbo kit avg cost is $6,000 with intercooler aprox HP output is 100whp

Thats $60.00 a horsepower!! Not very efficient if you ask me but than again WE LOVE BOOST!! and I don't mind paying $60.00 to hear those turbo's spin...

FINAL NOTES

Well, as you can see making a 350z intake isn't that hard and can cost under $10.00 total if you have the right connections. Their is one more thing I forgot to stress and that is making a bracket for the intake so that under shifting it wont flop around. I zip tied it.. YES GHETTO!!! for now, as I do my piece... I already know how I am going to do it so its not going to be hard... Maybe I will also make a heat shield
Old 03-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Wicked4u2c

BONUS MATERIAL

Some people were asking me on my custom Y Pipe that I did, here are the pics its a 2.5"-3" all the way through single pipe to an HKS TI CANNON!! This was all mandrel bent, and its all 1 piece!!! Yes, I did it this way didn't want any flanges, just straight through no disturbance of flow. Basically if I ever want to take it off I have to cut if off

NOW FOR THE PICS!

Results are quite interesting, this setup is made for forced induction 3". Now this is a very free flowing exhaust doesnt get any straighter and better (except for the JDM ANGLE ) But for N/A the car feels like crap, but when I put the trusty silencer piece on here is a pic

The car pulls like CRAZY!!! Why? Its creating more back pressure and the hole now to come out instead of 5" (TIP SIZE) it now has to go out a 2" hole, but the flow is still good... I have certain secrets on N/A tune setup but I can't giveaway all my secrets

Hope this information was useful and I didn't waste 15minutes of your time good day and happy tuning!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:13 PM
VQ35Kompressor

Nice work on the filter adapter piece. And very good observation! Time to make myself one...lolz...
Old 03-03-2004, 08:52 PM
bk_r0x

Nice write-up. May I suggest you get rid of that sticker above your exhaust can?
Old 03-03-2004, 09:02 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ghetto power rules!!!
Old 03-03-2004, 10:22 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, interesting bit on your DIY Intake. Perhaps we can extrapolate this to the stock intake. Since it's already a pretty good design to begin with, why don't we just take out the drop-in filter at the track and run it freely. I wonder if you could gain more HP compared to the CHINA one? Definitely cheaper than what's already been said .
Old 03-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice ghetto mod. About the exhaust- if you're insinuating that your muffler is making more power due to more backpressure, I think you'll find some argument on that theory. Gotta respect your DIY creativity though.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:45 PM
rodH

cool, I have a K&N sitting around collecting dust, and went to lowes to try and buy some stuff to bolt it together, but the tubing was waaaaaay to big, need to go back and change my plans. If I can't make one, I will buy an "adapter" that many guys are making for nissans that are under $10.

Thanx for the write up, I will figure out a heat sheild too
Old 03-03-2004, 10:47 PM
rodH

wicked,

DO you know the measurements (hole measurements) on the plate you guys made???
Old 03-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Ultimateone

Insane exhaust setup man, awesome
Old 03-04-2004, 04:08 AM
FairladyZ

I knew you could buy the stuff at Vatozone.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: CUSTOM INTAKE DONE AWESOME RESULTS W/ BLITZ HKS APEXi TRUST READ NOW WHY ITS BETTER!!

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
If you believe about VENTURI EFFECT, TORNADO, ETC... Your wasting your time! Focus on something that will make more horsepower. So the JWT was a start for me... How would I make this better or if not comparable..

If you understand what VENTURI EFFECT IS, you will understand why it is important on intake design. "focusing on something that will make more horsepower" is exactly what a velocty stack is doing. look up any mechanical engineering or fluid dynamics book and you will see why you cant fight physics.

another test you failed to do is pulling a dyno run with NO intake on the maf.. no filter. no air drag. that would probably have gotten you the most HP.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:37 AM
Road Warrior

let me be the first to congratulate you on a great job....nothing like a little motivation, eh

you failed to mention that at the end of that thread i did say if you have an idea to go for it...well you did, and obviously you have created an intake with proven results according to your dyno. i was actually surprised to see that the K&N made less power, but that could be attributed to the margain of error on the dyno

anyways, i am sure there will be many people that would be interested to buy one being that they are half the price of the JWT....again, great job

sweet exhaust btw...out
Old 03-04-2004, 08:11 AM
Sosa

Sick intake! I might have to try that if i get some extra time for an Injen replacement. Also, who made your Y pipe and since they already have the dimensions, is it for sale to the public? Thanks and congrats on the big numbers!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

can't i just slap a HKS mushroom on my Injen CAI? I'm just looking for alternatives since i already have the CAI.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Jsn350Z

No heat shield though? What do you do when the hood is down and your car is sitting, it is going to heat up like nothing else.

The heat shield on the JWT pushes air right into the filter and blocks off as much hot air as possible ( even a seal against the top of the hood ) from getting into the filter.

Also, the JWT DOES come pre-oiled even though it is a "China" filter.

But that sure does look nice, awesome DIY mod! And congrats on the power it made!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Wicked4u2c

Nice write-up. May I suggest you get rid of that sticker above your exhaust can?

I know you don't read Option2 Magazine Some people just don't know Its ugly as hell, isn't it!

Hmmm, interesting bit on your DIY Intake. Perhaps we can extrapolate this to the stock intake. Since it's already a pretty good design to begin with, why don't we just take out the drop-in filter at the track and run it freely. I wonder if you could gain more HP compared to the CHINA one? Definitely cheaper than what's already been said

You really don't want to do that because your getting absolute no filtration, what if a rock or debri just so happens to fly up and get sucked in... You have NO IDEA how powerful the engines vaccum is. Not worth the extra 8hp you can possibly get from your stock box. And if you look carefully sometimes the stock box has little sand particles, can we say scratched cylinder walls!

Nice ghetto mod. About the exhaust- if you're insinuating that your muffler is making more power due to more backpressure, I think you'll find some argument on that theory. Gotta respect your DIY creativity though.

I wouldn't call it Ghetto, but to each their own. This piece was nicely crafted and I see nothing Ghetto about it. Actually, when I put the HKS filter on there it looks very professional. I bet if I posted this on the forum not knowing I made this I gurantee that 99% of you would of believed me if I said it was a prototype air intake by HKS. GHETTO would have been if I used PVC pipe or something of that form. Its a well crafted aluminum piece that AEM also provides in their intake kits, I guess their intake is GHETTO

I can back my argument on my exhaust system in the fact that 3" piping is OVERKILL for N/A Setup. When I take the silencer off, it runs very freely and the car doesn't feel peppy. BIGGER isn't alway's better. When it comes to exhaust systems and backpressure I know some secrets about it. Back Pressure in a sense is good.. WHY? Because the air is traveling back into the valves making the pressure close the valves quicker helping them out which =TORQUE! A very free flowing exhaust is really only good for TOP END because you want 0 BACK PRESSURE. But we do have daily driving cars and some back pressure is good. I can't prove to you because I have no dyno with and without my silencer but I sure can feel a BIG difference with my silencer on. The same thing happened when I had my Civic, when I had the silencer on I ran faster at the track, when I had the silencer off I ran shittier. And I was TURBO CHARGED which made no sense to me? So until I dyno tested I guess I can't really attack but I am 100% positive and my feeling of the car doesn't lie. I talked to a DC Sports tech once. If you ever notice the 2001 Civic Header design is SMALLER!! thats right SMALLER!! than stock.. They tested one with a bigger diameter and lost power, he explained that bigger tubes doesnt always help, its more with flow design. So their header is smaller and makes power...

wicked,

DO you know the measurements (hole measurements) on the plate you guys made???

E-mail me at wicked4u2c@aol.com

If you understand what VENTURI EFFECT IS, you will understand why it is important on intake design. "focusing on something that will make more horsepower" is exactly what a velocty stack is doing. look up any mechanical engineering or fluid dynamics book and you will see why you cant fight physics.

another test you failed to do is pulling a dyno run with NO intake on the maf.. no filter. no air drag. that would probably have gotten you the most HP.

I understand "Venturi Effect" which companies like "TORNADO" and others try and make a big market push like its something so AMAZING. Im not arguing the point, and I clearly understand and have heard the whole spiral effect and proper A/F mixture. What I am getting at is that companies are trying to capitalize on something that just because the box say's VENTURI lets add $100.00 to the price tag. Honestly, you can cram all the air as quickly as possible but you won't benifit from the "venturi" effect unless you have manifolds, port and polish head, etc... its like trying to stuff a BIG MAC in one bite... Doesnt matter how much intake (Air, FOOD) your shoving in there if your mouth or in this case other working parts aren't big enough the benifts will not be maximized. My test was not to BASH intake companies, quite frankly I CAN CARE LESS about in intake hell, I never bothered because I have the turbo's sitting at my house just waiting for all my other ******** accessories to go on. So really don't care. Its just to show that you can FREE up horsepower without spending hundreds of dollars. Want to know how much I spent $0.00 Why, because material was already at the shop, and I had previous intake filters including K&N brand new that were sitting there. I got close to 10WHP for FREE... Not shabby if you ask me. Now im going to take her to the track to see how much I can shave off my time... thats next week..

Its funny you contradict yourself and even YOU don't believe most of the ******** either. This is what you said

another test you failed to do is pulling a dyno run with NO intake on the maf.. no filter. no air drag. that would probably have gotten you the most HP

Wait a minute...?? You said having no intake would probably have got more HP correct? What happened to having a "VELOCITY STACK"?? My point exact, a filter really only filters air particles nothing big nothing to special by the time it hits the manifold your "venturi" effect is lost. I understand the effect it makes total sense but still dont justify spending so much money on a concept that still up the air...

let me be the first to congratulate you on a great job....nothing like a little motivation, eh

you failed to mention that at the end of that thread i did say if you have an idea to go for it...well you did, and obviously you have created an intake with proven results according to your dyno. i was actually surprised to see that the K&N made less power, but that could be attributed to the margain of error on the dyno

anyways, i am sure there will be many people that would be interested to buy one being that they are half the price of the JWT....again, great job

sweet exhaust btw...out

Yeah, its your fault I MADE THIS!!! LOL If you read my thread carefully the reason why the K&N made less power because it filters better, the CHINA one is almost as bad as just leaving your intake WIDE OPEN.. NO CEL yet...

Sick intake! I might have to try that if i get some extra time for an Injen replacement. Also, who made your Y pipe and since they already have the dimensions, is it for sale to the public? Thanks and congrats on the big numbers!

Its sale to the public 3 piece design bolt on contact me for more info. If your local you can get it weld on like mine so its all 1 piece. BETTER IMO but sucks if you ever want to take it off, which I dont plan on...

can't i just slap a HKS mushroom on my Injen CAI? I'm just looking for alternatives since i already have the CAI.

If the INJEN has that adapter piece than yes, you can... I know AEM does have it.

No heat shield though? What do you do when the hood is down and your car is sitting, it is going to heat up like nothing else.

The heat shield on the JWT pushes air right into the filter and blocks off as much hot air as possible ( even a seal against the top of the hood ) from getting into the filter.

Also, the JWT DOES come pre-oiled even though it is a "China" filter.

But that sure does look nice, awesome DIY mod! And congrats on the power it made!

Actually not 100% true because I have a vented carbon hood which air vent is right above the intake. I do notice when the car is off you feel the hot air rising so its not to bad. I didn't make this to mass produce it, it was just a fun gig. Only reason why I did it was because of how easy it was to do. And at the same time show positive results. I don't plan on making a heatshield because im not really interested. I could make one and it shouldn't be to hard.

Here is the hood design & PICS

Old 03-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Jsn350Z

Didnt know you had the vented hood, even though I have seen pictures of your car before. Opps...
Old 03-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

what kind of hood is that?
Old 03-04-2004, 11:59 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the "Torando Air" P.O.S. is not the same as a velocity stack.
that thing tries to sprial air, as to create a vortex, so that air will accelerate. BUT it also fails to mention that its a huge air block, immense airflow is blocked.

a VELOCITY stack uses the venturi effect. how?
well first you have to understand what venturi is. venturi is when fluid speed increases when the fluid is forced through a narrow or restricted area.

simple diagram.

[A]>=<[B]

if you have the volume of A to goto B. so if gas A, say like normal air, it has to speed up through a narrow passage, so that the same amount of air that went in, comes out at box [B]. sorta like conservation of energy.

well your MAF is a 3" diameter hole.
you have a 9" diameter pop charger filter. how do you get air from a 9inch wide filter into a 3inch hole? simple a velocity stack maf adapter.

its smooth gradual shape allows the airflow around the top edge of the toroid accelerate toward the center. (Toroid/torus, its like the shape of a donut) place a marble on the outter edge of an upsidedown bowl, and see the marble accelerate. same idea.

air will speed through the MAF at a higher rate than if you just have a simple filter at the end of it.

so if you do your dyno test again, with NO filter, and slap on just the velocity stack, you should get some good numbers since its sucking air from everywhere.

Quick Reply: CUSTOM INTAKE DONE AWESOME RESULTS W/ BLITZ HKS APEXi TRUST READ NOW WHY ITS BETTER!!