Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

anyone made a homemade/DIY Intake/JWT copy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:04 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone made a homemade/DIY Intake/JWT copy?

I want to get a JWT, but the closure I actually get to buying one the more I think it is still a littl over priced, all it seems to be is a short length tube and a velocity stack filter (don't know if any of you guys know this but those filters cost $2.50-$5.00 to get from China, I know this). But you would probably pay $15-30 for the filter, I actually happen to have an old K&N sitting in the garage, so I could use that.

It seems like a very easy mod to copy, has anyone done it yet????
Old 02-26-2004, 08:18 PM
MGV156

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy an MAF adapter that would fit properly for the filter and you're done. Injen is selling their filters w/ a built-in velocity stack thru their online store.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:42 PM
rodH

OK, lets be honest here, what is the BIG difference between this

and this ??

my only question is if all the nissans share the same spacing for those 4 bolts to bolt it together with the stock piping??
Old 02-26-2004, 09:44 PM
rodH

here is another

Old 02-26-2004, 09:47 PM
rodH

and another without the hardware

Old 02-26-2004, 09:50 PM
rodH

and another??

Old 02-27-2004, 05:42 AM
PoWeRtRiP

there is no real diff most ppl have brand loyalty though and like to get the real deal from jwt rather than a knockoff brand like those. but i totally agree on my buddys old celica we made a cai by using a pepboys aluminum intake tube for a honda and the filter, total pice like $35
Old 02-27-2004, 10:37 AM
Road Warrior

with what you have already invested in your car i can't believe you are worried about spending another 100 bucks....its a good investment thats been proven to work.....but whatever
Old 02-27-2004, 10:59 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the biggest difference is the velocity stack. its that piece in the JWT picture that's big n silver...

those generic filters dont have as nice or as big of a velocity stack as the JWT one.. sure they'll say "built-in velocity stack" but look at it. its like 1/2 inch radius of curvature., and then its got like some weird hard-edged lip inside the filter due to the rubber pouring process.. yuck!

the JWT 's base filter is 9" wide. the hole is 3" for the maf. the velocity stack is BIG... 1.5" inner radius, 4.5" outter.. so that's a 1.5" radial curve from outside to inside. (. think the inner side of a donut. )
more surface area air can flow over. it will accelerate more and smooth it out better as air is drawn in from the sides.

you can stamp your own velocity stack say at a machine shop if they can do gradual bends in a cone shape-... but then you gotta get a K&N filter to fit the base-
Old 02-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

good image of what the seperate velocity stack looks like

Old 02-27-2004, 08:19 PM
rodH

Originally posted by Road Warrior
with what you have already invested in your car i can't believe you are worried about spending another 100 bucks....its a good investment thats been proven to work.....but whatever
well, I may not end up doing it, and just buying the JWT, I am careful with how I spend my money, thats all. Nismo exhaust, Crank pullies and intake soon to come.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:58 PM
alphared

Originally posted by rodH
well, I may not end up doing it, and just buying the JWT, I am careful with how I spend my money, thats all. Nismo exhaust, Crank pullies and intake soon to come.
How come you're spending soo much for a Nismo exhaust and yet worried about spending much for an intake? I would imagine that parts leading into the engine would be more important that leaving (incase of any malfunctions). I don't mind paying more from a reputable company that get a cheaper deal from one that isn't. Just because something looks the same on the surface doesn't mean they perform the same.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:19 AM
rodH

Originally posted by alphared
How come you're spending soo much for a Nismo exhaust and yet worried about spending much for an intake? I would imagine that parts leading into the engine would be more important that leaving (incase of any malfunctions). I don't mind paying more from a reputable company that get a cheaper deal from one that isn't. Just because something looks the same on the surface doesn't mean they perform the same.
Lets put it this way, I have 3 reasons

1. Same reason I can NOT justify paying $1+ for bottled water when I go out, yes, it is "only" $1, but is it really worth more $$ than Super Unleaded gasoline (everyone bithes when gas goes up 10cents, and never bat an eye at buying that bottled water, go figure). In other words, the part are easily avail, and there really isn't that much special about the $120 version, like I said, I will probably buy them just as a piece of mind.

2. These Filters are AMAZINGLY cheap in cost, paying $120 for a filter that wholesales at under $5, then you add an aluminum piece, seems like pretty good mark up, then again, the overall price:hp ratio is not that bad, so again, I will probably buy the JWT anyway.

3. I get Nismo stuff at dealer cost. I was thinking about going Borla, BUT I LOVE the sound, looks, and quality of the Nismo.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Road Warrior

clean ride btw....i hear ya bro, and i wasn't flaming. i think the JWT is a great buy and a proven mod that is engineered to work...these guys know what they are doing.

i am also looking at exhausts and you can't go wrong with the nismo...i have driven a car with this setup and it has a very nice sound to go along with the great quality....you get what you pay for on this one...
Old 02-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Wicked4u2c

1. Same reason I can NOT justify paying $1+ for bottled water when I go out, yes, it is "only" $1, but is it really worth more $$ than Super Unleaded gasoline (everyone bithes when gas goes up 10cents, and never bat an eye at buying that bottled water, go figure). In other words, the part are easily avail, and there really isn't that much special about the $120 version, like I said, I will probably buy them just as a piece of mind.

2. These Filters are AMAZINGLY cheap in cost, paying $120 for a filter that wholesales at under $5, then you add an aluminum piece, seems like pretty good mark up, then again, the overall price:hp ratio is not that bad, so again, I will probably buy the JWT anyway.

3. I get Nismo stuff at dealer cost. I was thinking about going Borla, BUT I LOVE the sound, looks, and quality of the Nismo.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:15 PM
Wicked4u2c

RODH I totally agree with you 100% We import parts and I was even thinking of getting a JWT pop charger and sending it overseas to mass produce it. Hell, if people are paying $125.00 for a filter and piece of metal WE can sell it for $75.00 and make profit all day long. I don't buy that JWT's velocity stack BS BS BS its all the same $hit. I have made some DIY intakes off civics to fit weird cars and they have dyno their cars and make great gains for the amount we paid under $40.00 for a coldair. Plus its not like an intake gives you amazing gains, I think most people that get intakes just do it for the better throttle response they get and possible better fuel economy. And like RODH, after seeing intakes for cheap I really can't see myself spending for an intake period! Its not that RODH Is trying to be a lowballer or being a cheapscate. Its just that its a complete RIPOFF! the markup on the intake is 1025% no ******** anyone give me their JWT for sample to mass produce it order about 300units price is $10.00 or cheaper GURANTEED!
Old 02-28-2004, 05:32 PM
acceler8

I had the JWT intake as pictured for my Nissan Frontier S/C. Same size as the one for the 350Z, I just had to redrill and tap some holes. Mounts exactly the same, but for some odd reason the Frontier MAF Sensor and the 350Z MAF had different mounting holes. Works great, though! And, the JWT piece is truly a work of art as far as the aluminum machining for the velocity stack. Not sure, but it makes it looks fast<SEG>
Old 02-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Road Warrior

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
RODH I have made some DIY intakes off civics to fit weird cars and they have dyno their cars and make great gains for the amount we paid under $40.00 for a coldair. Its just that its a complete RIPOFF! the markup on the intake is 1025% no ******** anyone give me their JWT for sample to mass produce it order about 300units price is $10.00 or cheaper GURANTEED!
first off, this ain't no honda four banger

secondly, this engine is not the easiest to squeeze power out of with respect to intakes

lastly, your idea of selling knock off JWT intakes is stupid...why don't you just conterfiet a one dollar bill while your at it....c'mon here its only a hundred bucks.... so you are gonna save me what 10 or 20 bucks by copying a patented intake i would rather spend the hundred for the real deal
Old 02-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by Road Warrior
first off, this ain't no honda four banger

Who said it was? Learn how to read, I said I have used Honda Civic intake systems to custom do car's that don't have intakes out in the market PERIOD. BTW a pipe and a filter is the same even if its on a civic. Find out the diameter and thats all, you think AEM intake for a civic is any different from a 350z (considering the diameter is the same) NO! Pipe is made of aluminum filter is the same...

secondly, this engine is not the easiest to squeeze power out of with respect to intakes.

Its not rocket science, I have access to a DYNO give me that metal conector and I'll put one of my knock off aif filters and be amazed anyone willing to donate one for this test PM ME to prove you...

lastly, your idea of selling knock off JWT intakes is stupid...
Call it a knock off, but its just a filter that has been used 100000000 times by a company so consider it a knock off of a knock off of a knock off, JWT nothing special? Not really R&D if you ask me, not like INJEN of course..

why don't you just conterfiet a one dollar bill while your at it....

What the hell does this have to do with anything??

c'mon here its only a hundred bucks.... so you are gonna save me what 10 or 20 bucks by copying a patented intake i would rather spend the hundred for the real deal
LOL PATENTED!!! Save 10 20 bucks? how about saving $115.00 cause if I made it our cost would be about $10.00 if even that... I didn't say $10.00 cheaper I meant $10.00 OUT THE DOOR!! Just like a washer you can spend .20cents on it or $7.00 dollars... You can say, "its only $7.00" And I will say, its only a WASHER!!! Same idea here, its a filter that we already have thousands here in our warehouse with different diameters and different styles from BLITZ to HKS, and K&N... Just a matter of getting on a dyno putting differnt intakes to see which one makes the most power nothing special nothing big. Like I said the intake gains aren't HUGE where your going to knock like .5 off the 1/4 mile, if that was the case I think everyone would buy an intake I say .1 and max .2 off the 1/4 mile if even that, its more for throttle response.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Road Warrior

not all filters are made the same believe me, i have tried the off brands and they don't work near as well as a K&N or the like.....and hey, if you have an idea that you believe can make money and is a good product i say go for it....good luck with it

Quick Reply: anyone made a homemade/DIY Intake/JWT copy?