Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech install update (G35s)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 08:42 AM
zimbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech install update (G35s)

Not sure how many people care about this--but my baby's in surgery and so I have the obligatory parental update.

The Vortech install is going well. The blower unit and bracket (you can see example photos in the Automatic install thread) are in and the intercooler is mounted. Currently it appears that the only two issues that are going to require customization for the G35 sedan are (1) intercooler piping (appears to be an issue for the 350z 5AT as well) and (2) the large cone-shaped intake filter doesn't fit due to the presence of some AC lines in the area.

I think the piping issue can easily be solved using a few custom cuts and welds. Not sure what to do about the filter other than try to find a slightly smaller one...

More news as it comes.

--Steve
Old 12-06-2003, 09:35 AM
greddy4777

hey steve, thanks for the updates...i am very excited for you as well, i 'm sure, as many other ppl on this board...

keepem coming....can't wait til the buttdyno

cheers
eric
Old 12-06-2003, 05:41 PM
jdove

Default Air Filter on G

You may be able to fit an HKS SMF filter, I don't know the inlet diameter , but:

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=788

Otherwise you may need to relo the AC lines. I'm watching your outcome since I'm considering a the Vortech on my G355C.

I'm also really curious to see how loud the whine is.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:11 PM
zimbo

Thanks! I've saved that link and I'll share it with the installer. I'm also curious as to the whine volume... My understanding is that it will be less than the ATI--but I've never heard the ATI so that doesn't mean much.

As long as it's reasonably tolerable at 2000 RPMs during regular driving. I don't care if it's loud as hell at WOT.

--Steve
Old 12-06-2003, 06:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

K&N literally makes tons of filters in a variety of sizes, inlet diamters, etc.

let me know if you need some help sourcing one
Old 12-06-2003, 07:55 PM
zimbo

Adam, I will likely have my installers give you a call on Monday with the dimensions they're going to need. Thanks!

--Steve
Old 12-06-2003, 08:04 PM
ravaz

Hey Steve, any idea on when it should be finished?

-Bill
Old 12-07-2003, 03:31 AM
zimbo

Bill, doing what they've done so far hasn't taken any more time than I expected (a few hours on Friday, a few hours on Saturday, a few hours today). It's the last little bit (i.e the custom work) that's going to be "hurry-up-and-wait" I suspect.

I'm assuming there's going to be some parts-ordering to get the right filter. Hopefully the intercooler piping can be done w/o having to machine anything. We'll see.

--Steve
Old 12-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Slareau02

Steve,
I am really interested to see your review of the install and etc. I live in Charlotte so if I were to go the route of Vortech I would need a reputable installer. Please keep us updated.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:18 AM
zimbo

Good news...

The intercooler piping ended up fitting without any required machining/cutting/welding. Apparently all that was necessary was a subtle bend in one section and it all fit.

So, basically we're just looking for a filter that will fit and it will be time to tune and dyno. This is, tentatively, really good news for G35 owners because adapting this kit may be as simple as replacing the intake filter.

Fingers crossed.

--Steve

Last edited by zimbo; 12-08-2003 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:02 PM
G3po

Default Filter arrangement

Whe you find a filter arrangement , I hope Vortech listens and offers an eqivalent as part of the G35 kit. I understand the time to market aspect, but they will really need to offer a filter setup with the kit that fits (not the Z setup) that must be discarded and replaced.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:39 PM
zimbo

An even better solution would be an elbow joint that lowers the position of the filter so that it's beneath the AC lines. That's what we're going to try first before buying another filter.

--Steve
Old 12-08-2003, 04:46 PM
G3po

Default Filter

I'm sure anything you come up with "pre-filter" will be better than the crappy method that ATI has employed on the G35 kit. They
just put a screen on the inlet and an inline filter between the IC and TB. A great way to knock-off 1-2 psi and the power along with it. Plus the possiblity to suck crdu into the compressor.
At least Vortech didn't go there...

So , what is the distance from the compressor inlet to the AC line?
Old 12-09-2003, 04:52 AM
blubyu

I will try and get some pics up as soon as I get a chance. I had a few from the install of the blower and IC but I couldn't get them to go through e-mail. Steve, Keith gave me your e-mail address but I ziped up a few files all the way down to 3 megs and it was still rejected. If you want I can try to get some pics today or tomorrow and post up here if its ok with you. Just let me know

Matt
Old 12-09-2003, 05:26 AM
zimbo

Matt, how big is each image? You will probably have to zip and send them separately. I can resize them and post them up here--or you certainly have my permission to post them up here yourself.

Thanks for taking photos!

--Steve
Old 12-09-2003, 05:43 AM
g356gear

Zimbo,
I am watching this thread very closely because I as well have a 6mt sedan. Please post reviews as soon as possible.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:38 AM
D_Nyholm

Zimbo, very nice to hear all of this. DId you post anything on freshalloy.com? I haven't seen anything. PLEASE let us know the dyno results when you have them!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 09:40 AM
G3po

Default images

next couple of days for pics would be great.
I am assuming the Air Filter placement issue is very similar between both the G35C and Sedan. So anything learned should help the whole "considering Vortech for the G" community".
Old 12-09-2003, 09:57 AM
zimbo

I hope to have pics soon. Everything is pretty much done. Dyno is scheduled for tomorrow. CPRacing and Underground Racing have been great.

I'll post more (photos, numbers, etc) as soon as I have it.

--Steve
Old 12-09-2003, 10:55 AM
blubyu2k2

Ok I changed my e-mail and never got a verification e-mail so I had to make a new screen name. I have some pics I can upload from sunday and will put those up tonight. I will also swing by the shop tomorrow and snap a few more pics of the completed install. All I can say is the install looks sweet and the front mount is awesome. A weird location for the BOV but I guess vortech knows what they are doing. Stay tuned I will host a few of the early install pics tonight.

Matt

Quick Reply: Vortech install update (G35s)