November HPDE/track day at PMI

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 10:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default November HPDE/track day at PMI

Due to popular (I hope) demand, I talked with the PMI track manager this morning and confirmed a date for our 3rd HPDE/track day at Pueblo. Seems as though November 1st may be booked with another group, but he can give us Saturday, November 8th for our exclusive use!

If you haven't been to one of these events before, please read the 'HPDE' thread on the SW forums page for some further detals. The 11/8 program will be similar in nature, but I plan to change a few exercises to keep it fresh and challenging!

Let's plan again to meet at the rest stop just south of the Larkspur exit on Saturday the 8th by 9:00 am. That means if you want to chat and look at mods and such, get there a bit early! The procedure will be a little different that day as the track manager can't meet us until later in the morning. He will unlock the gate for us and I'll have the waivers ready to be signed that morning. I'll also collect the $60/car fee and give it to him when he shows up. BTW- I am not and have not, made any money out of this rental deal with the track. I like PMI simply because IMHO it has a great layout and is affordable for us all.

Please post here and let us know who will be coming. Also, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to respond.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:57 PM
daprofessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will put that date in my calendar. I had a great learning/driving experience last time and look forward to this one. It is in November so lets cross our fingers and hope for good weather.
Gary
Old 10-14-2003, 02:22 PM
speedphreek350

Now that I have brakes again I will keep my calendar clear on that day.. Also I would like to bring a friend if everyone wouldn't mind.. He has a mustang gt(no comment) and would like to see how well it drives or doesn't drive. Thanks again to all for the last event.. That was a way diffrent than Auto Crossing..
Old 10-16-2003, 06:00 AM
Mudd

David........I should be able to make this date. I will let you know if there are any conflicts.

I'm not sure if you wanna keep this an all 350 Z day, but I do have a couple friends with some very beautiful S2k's who would sure love to participate with us. If everyone would be ok with this just let me know.

Brian
Old 10-17-2003, 09:07 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Mudd and Speedphreek 350-

Since we are a few weeks out, I'd like to give all the Colorado (and New Mexico, Wyoming, etc.) 350Z owners first crack at this next event. I appreciate that owners of other marques would like to participate (and we'll probably let them), but we should also consider that keeping the event a 350Z exclusive gives us a chance to work on how and why our cars drive the way they do.

As we begin to master the basics of performance driving, I hope to discuss some of the finer points of running a 350Z quickly and safely. Now some of those points may apply to S2Ks and Mustang GTs, but those cars also have their unique features as well and I'll have to devote some time to working with each of those owners. Another issue is the speed differential between those cars and our 350Zs at different points around PMI. I'm concerned that this could cause some problems as we get around the course and become one more factor in maintaining our spotless 'wrinkle-free' safety record.

In any case, I count daprofessor, Mudd, and Speedpreek 350 as being the only ones who have posted about being in. Publisher, GaryM03 and Shogun have also indicated that they will attend. Where's the rest of you who asked for and got a Saturday track event at PMI?

Last edited by dkmura; 10-17-2003 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:21 AM
kohlersc

This looks good to me. I can't see any problems with me finally making one. I will hope to see you all just South of Larkspur on Saturday November 8th.

Daryl
Old 10-22-2003, 07:25 AM
ryanjs73

I'd go if I was in-state. Unfortunately, work still has me in Virginia for a while longer.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:53 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Glad to see that Kohlersc can make it this time! Sorry that Ryanjs73 is still out of the area for this next track event.

Please talk it up with all the other 350Z guys in the area- there are simply not many of us who are committing to this event considering the number of Z's out there. I'm beginning to wonder if the effort is worth it...
Old 10-27-2003, 08:10 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a scheduling conflict for that day that I've cleared up, so I can definitely make it now. I'm looking forward to another visit to PMI!

Gary
Old 10-28-2003, 06:18 PM
bluz03

It looks like I will also be joining you. Sorry it took so long to post i've had a busy month.

~Dennis
Old 10-29-2003, 09:49 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Very glad to see those Z drivers who have been part of the last two Z track days putting their hats into the ring! For those that have some trepidation about putting your shiny, new car in harm's way, PM or e-mail some of those who have participated before. The exercises we go through could very well PREVENT a future accident! In addition, the car control skills you learn at speed are truly satisfying and help you to enjoy your new (or old) Z that much better. Don't want to hype this track day any more, but there are a lot of 350Z owners out there who are truly missing out...
Old 10-29-2003, 02:22 PM
azrael

I'd love to go, but I'll be busy that weekend. Have fun guys, and I hope to make the next event.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:35 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

With one week to go before our November 8th PMI event, it looks like we have 7-8 350Zs committed. Interestingly enough, almost all have attended the other HPDE/track days we?ve had previously. Somehow, there are a lot of 350Z owners out there who are using less than 10% of their cars? capabilities and are missing the boat.

In any case, for all those who had friends (Speedphreek350, Mudd, etc.) who wanted to bring something other than a Z (ie. S2000s, Mustang GTs, etc.) let?s open it up for them as well. Please remind them that they need to bring their own helmets and $60 for the track rental (no credit cards available). Post who is coming and what they are driving here, so I have some idea of how many handouts to produce.

Lastly, it?s a good thing we did not commit to a track day today (11/1), as the weather did not cooperate. Rain we can deal with, but freezing drizzle and snow would make conditions too hazardous. If we get into the same pattern for next week, keep your eyes on this thread, as I will post whether we will need to cancel. Feel free to PM me or post here with any other questions you may have before Friday.

David
Old 11-02-2003, 08:17 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Hard to believe, but I spent the day at Second Creek Raceway today (Sunday, 11/2/03). There was a SCCA Solo Trials event and man, was it COLD!

Yet, even with all the fog and drizzle I had a great time running my 350Z! Yes, it was a bit slick and you had to read the conditions at times to decide how far you could push it. Had no spins, although I was pushing the car and ended up winning my class.

But the point is, despite my personal feelings, I will probably cancel next Saturday's event if the weather is similar or worse. I don't want anybody getting in over their heads or having a shunt in bad conditions. Any thoughts from those who are going on this subject?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:48 AM
kohlersc

I know I am planning on using up most of what I have left on my tires before transitioning to winter tires...so that also means I don't have much poor weather traction left.

I really want to go but if the weather is **** poor I don't really want to chance it.

Oh I have a question for you though David. Can we bring co-pilots or just video takers?

Oh and you were recognized at the Solo II competition. One of the guys I work with has started competing in those as well and noticed you. He drives a Blue M3. He had the same comments overall that the weather made it tougher and he felt bad for the Toyota MR2 Owner, but he had a good time. I am hoping to try that out sometime soon as well...maybe next season.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Mudd

David,
If the weather is clear then I am in. Any moisture and I am going to bail. I think we would all enjoy it better if the track was dry.
Looking at the forcast as of today, it looks like Saturday may be a nice day. But we will see, with CO weather and all.

Brian
Old 11-04-2003, 12:49 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

You guys mind if I attend? I don't want to run my car on the track, I would like to just hang out and drool over all the Z's.

I'll bring my camera, can get up to 900 shots.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:06 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally posted by kohlersc
I know I am planning on using up most of what I have left on my tires before transitioning to winter tires...so that also means I don't have much poor weather traction left.

I really want to go but if the weather is **** poor I don't really want to chance it.

I understand all the posts about weather. As I said before, if it's raining or snowing, the event is history. BUT if the advance forecast at Weather.com is correct, we're looking at a dry day in Pueblo with temps in the 50's.

Oh I have a question for you though David. Can we bring co-pilots or just video takers?

As for passengers, it's OK with me as long as they wear helmets. Everyone who comes (and you're certainly welcome, zand02max) should sign the track waiver as well. Keep a towel handy as no drooling is allowed on the Z's!

Oh and you were recognized at the Solo II competition. One of the guys I work with has started competing in those as well and noticed you. He drives a Blue M3. He had the same comments overall that the weather made it tougher and he felt bad for the Toyota MR2 Owner, but he had a good time. I am hoping to try that out sometime soon as well...maybe next season.
Glad to hear someone was paying attention last weekend. It was a Solo Trials event, which meant driving timed laps around SCR. Your co-worker with the M3 was quite quick and won BSP.
He (and just about everybody else) used 'R' compound rubber, but it was a relief to just run my street tires on the Z. It still shone through!

Last edited by dkmura; 11-04-2003 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:45 PM
GaryM05

I'm hoping for clear weather on Saturday. I wouldn't mind someday having the chance to learn a little about the Z's handling in the rain, but once we throw in the possibility of freezing temps and the sleet/ice/snow that comes with it, I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about making the round trip to Pueblo and back.

The current forecast for Saturday in Pueblo is partly cloudy with a high of 61, which should be perfect for a dry-weather track day. Hopefully that forecast holds up.

Gary
Old 11-04-2003, 06:52 PM
GaryM05

Originally posted by zand02max
You guys mind if I attend? I don't want to run my car on the track, I would like to just hang out and drool over all the Z's.

I'll bring my camera, can get up to 900 shots.
Chas, come on out! I'll bet that after a few sessions, you won't be able to resist getting your Z out on the track. It's not racing, and there's no wheel-to-wheel outbraking moves to worry about. It's all about driving your Z hard and squealing the tires in a safe, controlled environment.

Quick Reply: November HPDE/track day at PMI