Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 02:16 AM
Zmoney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?

When I try to fill up the pump quits on me like 4 or 5 times. I guess the gas is flowing too fast so it shuts the pump off. So I have to pump the gas real slow and it takes for ever. I can never tell if its completely full.

Are you guys experiencing the same thing?

I have tried pullling the nozzle out a bit, along with trying different angles but I still have to pump at half throttle.

Forgive me if this doesnt make sense, its 6a.m. here!
Old 04-03-2003, 03:40 AM
ScottC

You know I didnt have the same issue, but the pump shut off the other day and when I got in the car after I had already left the station the gauge says I wasnt quite full. I need to verify next time I fill up.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:01 AM
350zSpeedRacer

A bunch of people were having this problem a few months ago. I haven't really heard much on it since. I've filled up four times so far and never had my car do that.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:16 AM
ricks350z

had the same scenerio like you guys..pump stops at times when i was in process of filling up.......whats up w/ that nissan?
Old 04-03-2003, 05:28 AM
POWERZ

happens to me a lot. yesterday i gave up after it shut off about 25 times - left with a quarter of a tank.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:32 AM
enthz

Default same problem

only put in 1/4 tank then gave up, only happen once out of three fill ups, first 2 were ok, only got 1400 miles on car
Old 04-03-2003, 05:39 AM
djkern
Banned

do i have some sort of super z.....or did they actually take time to inpect my car and put it together right....or did they just forget to put some care and effort into every other z out there???

i've NEVER had a problem filling up gas. i have NO tire feathering problems. i have NO streaking on the windows. i have ABSOLUTELY NO problems with my car. everything runs perfect and everything works. i guess i lucked out.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:29 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never had the problem, untill a few weeks ago... it has got to be the angle of the ground. all the gas stations I go to are level, but this one is sloped towards the gas door side. and I couldnt get more than half a tank in it. donno why or how, but just find a flat gas station and you should be ok.

if I remember it has to do with the new saddlebag design of tank they are using to lower the center of weight.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:37 AM
mytalon

I have this sometimes. Major PITA. It took me 10 minutes one time to get a 1/4 tank, had to leave and get it somewhere else. I was woundering if it had something to do with the velocity that the pump can pump gas, maybe a bigger nossel opening? I have pretty much just found a station that I can fill up at without this problem and only get gas there if I can help it.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:13 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I think I had the problem when I first got the car, but it hasn't happened lately. Biggest problem now is the price.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?-gas.jpg  
Old 04-03-2003, 01:14 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Oh and also I used to go to Shell, but the one near me closed, so I go to 76 or Chevron. I'm guessing the different pumps matter.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Tisha

Filled up for the third time today. First time we were able to get 3/4 full before the pump cut off. Second time was no problem at all. Today, after about 1/4 tank, I couldn't get the thing going again.

I was filling up at Costco, and there happened to be an attendant there who took an interest in my car. Once he saw the problem I was having, he proceded to try all of his "tricks". Still no luck.

Finally, I tried turning the handle upside down, and bingo, I was able to get a full tank. I was concerned while I was filling that the shutoff might not work properly, but no problems there.

I hope this wasn't a fluke - I guess time will tell. The Costco attendant said my Z was only the third one he's seen, so he's looking forward to helping the next Z owner out!
Old 04-03-2003, 03:00 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm interesting, Ill try that, Id be worried about the auto off, but even so, you know how much gas your looking for, so you could atleast put in an extra 5gallons or so and be safe but get your gas.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:40 PM
LocoStrange

dang, cant you guys complain to Nissan?
Old 04-03-2003, 07:56 PM
livna

Default Early Auto Gas Shutoff

Yep, Me too!

Filled the tank 15 times now.
Experienced the early shutoff problem 3 times.
I haven't been able to figure out why yet.
VIN #....4717
Lifting the nozzle slightly and pushing it towards the rear deck lid seemed to help - at least I was able to get a full tank.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:47 PM
phile

mark another one down. I have the problem too sometimes.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:15 AM
ccondo

Default Me also

Has happened to me also.

Last 2 times, left the gas station with 1/2 a tank - the next time I had 1/4 a tank. - Didnt realize it until I had already left.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Jspec350z

This has never happened to me and I have filled up like 10 or 11 times by now 2200 miles. I was thinking about the gas pumps in florida that recover the gas fumes. It basically has a hose that fits over the filler hole along with the nozzle that fits inside. Could this be the issue? I dunno just a thought.

Last edited by Jspec350z; 04-04-2003 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:27 AM
mytalon

Originally posted by Jspec350z
This has never happened to me and I have filled up like 10 or 11 times by now 2200 miles. I was thinking about the gas pumps in florida that recover the gas fumes. It basically has a hose that fits over the filler hole along with the nozzle that fits inside. Most of you guys who seem to be having this issue are in a warmer climate that would probally have this device. Could this be the issue? I dunno just a thought.
Very few pumps have this anymore, I can think of none in my area and we have 5 new gas stations. I think that it has to do with the pressure that the pump puts out, or maybe the angle of the nozzle. Shell pumps I have trouble with, the only shell station I can use is one by my work that used to be owned by someone else. Not sure why
Old 04-04-2003, 09:52 AM
TOM Z CENTRAL

I had a fill problem 2 times.The first time was near Tucson Az.The pump stopped around 1/2 tank.I think I had around 2000miles on the odometer.No other filing problems till 5000miles. Then,I drove my Z back to my lake house in Arkansas this week from Phoenix[7hours from Phoenix to Albuquerque N.M.,no radar detector]Anyway,I wanted to put a tank of 93 in,when I got to the house[91 in Arizona].So filled her up.The damn pump did not stop & gas came pouring out all over. I won't trust another pump.Just a little Xtra note:I do travel some & tour on my motorcycle quite a bit.ALL PUMPS ARE NOT EQUAL.I have had various problems while pumping gas in my H.D.Filling the bike is diferent from a car.You have to watch a little closer.Long story short.I've had pumps,not shut off,spray gas side ways,leak & dribble all over,& those stupid F**KING Calf nozzles pour gas every where.In closing,I am not sure if its a Nissan or a pump thing.But,from now on.........I will watch,look,listen.Thankz,Tom

Quick Reply: Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?