Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYNO #s wont be dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 06:48 PM
sakred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking DYNO #s wont be dissapointed

i had the apportunity of getting my car dynoed. first i would like to thank Ultimate lurker (Shawn). we made 4 pulls on his dyno. well anyways i went to Shawns shop on thursday. my car has 1700 miles on it. i did NOT follow break in procedure and i was running on 91 octane pump gass. my car was dynoed in 4th gear. on the first run my car put down 258 RWHP. we concidered that the cold run. after letting the car run for a while we did the second run. this time the car made 254 RWHP. i was very impressed with the numbers since i was only expecting like 240 give or take a few hp. on the third run i did a minute change. we ran the dyno and my car put down a whopping 264 RWHP and a max of 250 ft/lbs RWT. i gained 10 WHP and 6ft/lbs of torque from my little tweek. . i still cant wipe the grin off of my face. i have all the raw data on a disk and was wondering how to make graphs of it. i have the original graph and i will try to get to a scanner and get them online but i need assistance with that. so if anyone wants to help me out. my AIM handle is SAKRED78 drop me a PM or just IM me.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:52 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you're waiting for us to ask. What little tweak?
Old 12-20-2002, 07:12 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your not showing online for aim, but if you send it to me Ill get a graph out of it using excel. Im bored, got nothing else to do. just come online and Ill IM you.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:12 PM
sakred

good question. its not that big of a secret. the 350Z has a very optimal intake. instead of going ahead and purchasing a short ram intake that gets you hot air. or rerouting a tube to get cold air from the bumper you have to look at the original setup. there is a big empty space between the bumper and the radiator which takes cold air and provides it for the car at the designated intake hole. well all i did was remove the air filter and put the epty case back on the air box. magically i gained 10 WHP and 6 ft/lbs. now the torque that i gained was really what impressed me because the area under the torque curve increased dramatically even though the peak number wasnt all that higher.

Hammad
Old 12-20-2002, 07:30 PM
ares
Veteran

here ya go, his dyno plot

Old 12-20-2002, 07:37 PM
ares
Veteran

for those keeping track by the way. in that first run with 258whp, that is 303crank hp at 15% loss, and if you figure 20% loss you get 322hp....

now if you want to take his WORST numbers at 254rwhp you get 299hp-318.

somebodys a bit underrated on the ol hp numbers. cant wait to dyno mine.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:47 PM
sakred

Thanks for posting ARES

Hammad
Old 12-20-2002, 08:09 PM
deltaboxr1

Why does the graph say "fly wheel power graph"
Old 12-20-2002, 08:14 PM
Selski12

Nice numbers sakred! Looks like several recent dynos have generated numbers where the Z should be at. This one puts the icing on the cake. Should dispell the notion of Nissan "overrating" the HP
Old 12-20-2002, 08:14 PM
qirex

WOW

nice numbers!!

Old 12-20-2002, 08:15 PM
integrate

You ran without the air-filter? Cheater!!

just kidding.

I ran my dynoed my car at Ultimate Lurker's (shawn's) also and got 256 rwhp

I followed break in procedure...ironic isn't it.

How many dyno runs did you do? My worst was 251 rwhp with the engine running 200 degree F.

You can read about it here.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=13909
Old 12-20-2002, 08:17 PM
ares
Veteran

Originally posted by deltaboxr1
Why does the graph say "fly wheel power graph"
my guess is that it is just a standard heading. he told me the dyno was the type that bolts directly to where your tires are.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:23 PM
raceboy
Banned

The problem is that the the "Dyno Pack" dynos always read higher. The car does not have the wheels on and therefor the power that it once took to accelerate the wheels now goes directly into the dyno. You also eliminate rolling resistance as well. I'd say with that set up you are looking at less than a 10% loss.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:25 PM
integrate

Originally posted by raceboy
The problem is that the the "Dyno Pack" dynos always read higher. The car does not have the wheels on and therefor the power that it once took to accelerate the wheels now goes directly into the dyno. You also eliminate rolling resistance as well. I'd say with that set up you are looking at less than a 10% loss.
Yes, they do read higher, and according to Ultimate Lurker (who owns the dyno), numbers tend to read about 8-10 rwhp higher.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:32 PM
ares
Veteran

owell than at 15% loss(damn good for a rwd car) you still have over 290 flywheel hp.

I can live with that.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:58 PM
ChurchAutoTest

Hey all, UL here (I can't be a lurker now that I'm running a business :-).

The Dynapack does read higher for exactly the reasons that raceboy mentioned. Its always difficult to compare between different dynos. However, I can give you some baseline numbers on some other stock cars, which I get very few of, and you'll see that the Z numbers are about where you'd expect them:

2002 Honda Civic Si - 140 whp
2002 Acura RSX-S - 171 whp
2000-2001 Honda S2000 - 212 whp (avg)
R33 Nissan Skyline @24 psi - 569 whp (o.k., that's not really a stock example, but since this is a Nissan board... :-)

I think the S2000 numbers are most comparable since they also use a FR drivetrain with limited slip diff (and the attendant losses). If you run the numbers, you'll see that the mid 250 hp range is right where you'd expect the Z to be with 287-290 crank hp. I don't think the engine is underrated one bit - and it certainly doesn't feel like it either. Thanks for the test drive sakred!

Also, the titles on the graphs can be attributed to the user interface guys at Dynapack. You can't actually measure flywheel hp, but for some reason, that's what they title the graph as. The Dynapack is a terrific dyno (for tuning especially), but the user interface could be improved.

Rgds,
Shawn
Old 12-20-2002, 09:13 PM
fdao

Shawn,

Are you the same Shawn that used to own an Integra GSR, that was featured in SCC years ago?

Welcome to the board! If you're him, this board will most definitely benefit from your knowledge!
Old 12-20-2002, 09:25 PM
ChurchAutoTest

Wow, you've got a heck of a memory! I can't even remember what I ate for lunch :-)

Yes, that was me. People kept asking me for advice/help in tuning/setting up their cars, so I decided to be entrepreneurial and put my money where my mouth is and...I bought a dyno.

Maybe I'll post a little something on proper dyno testing procedures. I suspect that some of the low results that people are getting might be the result of some inconsistency in procedure. Modern OBDII cars require careful attention to detail to ensure consistent dyno results - this becomes even more important when trying to assess the benefits of modifications.

Shawn
Old 12-20-2002, 09:29 PM
fdao

Fantastic Shawn! Here's looking forward to some great discussion and insights!

Looking forward to your first contribution to this board !
Old 12-21-2002, 12:19 AM
integrate

Originally posted by ChurchAutoTest
Wow, you've got a heck of a memory! I can't even remember what I ate for lunch :-)

Yes, that was me. People kept asking me for advice/help in tuning/setting up their cars, so I decided to be entrepreneurial and put my money where my mouth is and...I bought a dyno.

Maybe I'll post a little something on proper dyno testing procedures. I suspect that some of the low results that people are getting might be the result of some inconsistency in procedure. Modern OBDII cars require careful attention to detail to ensure consistent dyno results - this becomes even more important when trying to assess the benefits of modifications.

Shawn
Yep, I, as well as many of my friends, highly recommend Shawn if you want to do any tuning/testing on your car. He knows his stuff. He's in the Southern California area. Torrance to be exact.

Quick Reply: DYNO #s wont be dissapointed