Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Tentative Marin County meet date...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 03:04 PM
dczoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tentative Marin County meet date...

Howdy Northern Californians,

Well, I will be coming up to the Bay Area the 21st, and I want to host a Marin County backroads run. There are about 6 route options, so I'll get everyone's input as the meet approaches. Tentatively I would like to do it at 10:00 AM Sunday January 12th, but of course a great deal is based on weather ...

My parent's house is located in Southern Marin, so we can all meet there or at the local middle school right down the street for some pictures and a meet & greet. The run should take between 2 - 4 hours, and I will have multiple run options available depending upon people's desired run type (out to the ocean, up the mountain, through the pastures, scenic Marin cities). These roads are moderately patrolled but they are very well maintained, so as long as its not wet & miserable we should be fine. Also to bring the wives or gf's there is great window shopping in Sausalito, Tiburon, San Anselmo, and even San Rafael nowadays, and we can make that a part of the run too if there's a demand for it (or I can point you the way)

Driving times from around the bay area to get to the meetup point are:

1hr 30 mins from San Jose (I used to go to SJ State, so I know this one)
1hr - 1hr 30 from Pleasanton/East Bay
20 mins from Oakland
20 mins from Downtown SF

Also we can do a late lunch after the complete run down at Sam's Anchor Cafe, which is a great cafe with good food and beautiful waitresses, plus a full view of the golden gate & SF.

Please let me know if you're interested, have any ideas, or if you're definitely in. Looking forward to meeting you guys, and I'll keep the date open as well (maybe +/- a week depending upon rain forecast).

These were my stomping grounds in High School and I can guarantee a fun time all around.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:49 PM
sdpearso

I'll check back later for responses and more info. Sounds fun.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:27 AM
Zbart
Charter Member #95

I'm in. Thanks for the initiative.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:41 AM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

As a former Fairfax resident, I'd love to join in.....I haven't taken Sir Francis Drake through the redwoods in Samuel Taylor in the Z yet.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:41 PM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds pretty good. Always good to get to know some new route of the nice backroads around the bay area. Keep us posted with the details.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:46 PM
dczoner

Well it looks like that makes 3 (maybe 4) - enough to at least be worthy of a good run. I'll start putting together the mapquest maps, and I might do a preliminary run myself (he he he) - you know - just to make sure the roads are still there. For purely scientific purposes, I assure you.

Like I said, I'd tentatively like to do it the 12th, but if the weather report for the 5th looks promising I might move it up, just to make sure we get a run in.

C'mon, we can make it as big as the SD meet, right? (15 350z's) Oh, also, if anyone knows any other Z's - z32's or G35's, etc. they are more than welcome. I'm sure we can handle whoever wants to come.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:28 AM
Zbart
Charter Member #95

i'm good with either the 5th or 12th; so long as the weather cooperates. i'm sure we'll have more than 4 by then.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:50 AM
sdpearso

I can do the 12th but I don't know about the 5th. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:31 AM
StrictlyZ

Talking Hiya all

I'm willing to make the trek up Marin. Driving on nice roads is always fun. I go to highway 9 all the time and love it

I don't mean to throw anymore confusion but what about the 28 or 29th? Sorry guys I'm impatient I think we should try and schedule it for every weekand, and base it on the weather. I hope you don't get anymore of these storms rolling through but that might be the case?

I think once it gets closer to the weekand and we can get a good idea of the weather and set a date for the event, and push it hard on all the boards I can help there..

Let me know!
Yuichi
Old 12-21-2002, 08:40 AM
sdpearso

Default Re: Hiya all

Originally posted by StrictlyZ
I'm willing to make the trek up Marin. Driving on nice roads is always fun. I go to highway 9 all the time and love it

I don't mean to throw anymore confusion but what about the 28 or 29th? Sorry guys I'm impatient I think we should try and schedule it for every weekand, and base it on the weather. I hope you don't get anymore of these storms rolling through but that might be the case?

I think once it gets closer to the weekand and we can get a good idea of the weather and set a date for the event, and push it hard on all the boards I can help there..

Let me know!
Yuichi
I can't make it that weekend either. I'll be in NYC till Jan 3rd.

I'll be at Thunderhill raceway on Jan19th so I wouldn't make that weekend either incase it gets proposed while I'm gone.

Don't change plans for me though. I'm just saying I'll be there if it's on the 12th.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:25 AM
krinkov

Im in there like WD-40 whenever you guys decide on is cool with me!
Old 12-22-2002, 02:23 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Count me in Any date is fine.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:10 AM
whatever
Veteran

Default Re: Hiya all

Originally posted by StrictlyZ
Originally posted by dczoner
I might do a preliminary run myself (he he he) - you know - just to make sure the roads are still there. For purely scientific purposes, I assure you.
dczoner and Yuichi: If you guys are interested to do a preliminary run this weekend (28th or 29th), I can join you guys. Weather permitting of course.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:40 AM
Dolfan13

I would enjoy joining you in aMarin drive on the 12th of January. I have been looking to go somewhere besides work and back.
Old 12-25-2002, 01:15 AM
dczoner

Alright, looks like we will have some great turnout. I'm still planning very much for the 12th, just because that gives everyone a lot of lead time for their calendars. Of course, it all comes down to Ms. Nature (she's gotta be single, no man could handle her mood swings). . .

I'm going to hold to the 12th so far, there's really not much we can do in terms of predicting the weather that far out.

Also, I need to get more impressions from you guys of what type of run you'd prefer, I figure we'll just do the most demanded. I can offer:

1. Mountain Drive - Vigorous trek up Mt. Tam, very nice for those with the Track model because brake fade will be less of a concern. However, sometimes these roads can be crammed full of idiots and tourists and turnouts are not as abundant.

2. Beaches/Farm Country - This can take us out to the furthest ends of Marin County & back again. Not much in the way of ups & downs, but some fantastic straights and clean s-turns, etc.

3. See the Sights - Still great roads (all 3 of these are), but perhaps a little more slow going through some of the towns and cities that've popped up all around Marin. This is probably the hardest run to predict in terms of who else is going to be out on the roads, but definitely much more patrolled than the other two.

Please give me some feedback and I'll actually do a "test run" (purely scientific, I assure you) to make sure whichever roads we pick are - well - still there, still in good shape, etc. I'll have maps & the like available on the day of the meet.

Look forward to meeting all of you and if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM or email me. Whatever - Check your PM box.
Old 12-25-2002, 12:29 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Option 1 and/or 2 would be my preference. Hitting the towns could be slow going but then everyone would see our caravan

Also might not Saturday the 11th be better. I've found you get less traffic (no Sunday tourists or looky-loos). Just a suggestion. I'm fine with either day.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:40 PM
wizeline

I'm in, on the 12th..... Id prefer the #1 or #2 option.... less slow driver more fast Z's is my pref!!

2003 Lemans Track 350Z
"350Z WIZ"
Old 01-03-2003, 01:03 AM
jonghj

Good Idea! Can I join in? and i prefer #1 and #2.
and Jan 12th will be great for me.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:32 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

I took a drive yesterday to check a possible route for the drive on the 12th.

I started in Greenbrae taking Sir Francis Drake towards Fairfax (SFD is under construction right at the entrance to Fairfax). I then connected with Balinas Road (aka Fairfax Bolinas Rd.), which wasn't that easy to find as it doesn't intersect with SFD, and started heading west. This road is a narrow 2 laner but because of the storms has been decreased to 1-1/2 lanes and is covered with lots of debris. Bumpy/dirty ride right now. Would be ok if clean and dry.

Then I took Ridgecrest to connect with Panoramic. Ridgecrest is in good shape except 2 small sections through the tree line. Great views if there is no fog. At the junction with Panoramic I had intended to head west and connect with Hwy 1 at Stenson Beach but made a wrong turn(damn reading glasses and maps) and ended up going inland and came to the junction with Muir Woods Rd.

I took Muir Woods down to Hwy 1. There was a small rock slide on Muir Woods that blocked 1 lane. Took Hwy 1 to 101 and the ride ended.

I could have stayed on Panoramic as it also leads to Hwy 1 but it junctions very close to the end by 101.

With a few mistakes and the poor road conditions on Bolinas this ride lasted 1.5 hrs and covered approx. 40 miles. At the entrance to 101 north it was still flooded(about 4" deep) but it helped clean my wheel wells.

I started where I did since it was very close to the Ferry Terminal. There would be plenty of parking for our group. It's also a middle point for everyone since there will be those of us coming from the north and east.

Can't wait to see what Dczoner has in store for us.

Please let there be sun
Old 01-03-2003, 11:09 AM
Zbart
Charter Member #95

I just realized that there is one thing that would keep me from
going on the Jan 12 drive - IF the 49ers beat the Giants this Sunday and then have a Sunday game on the 12th.

I'll take a 49ers win over a Sunday Z drive EVERY TIME.

Quick Reply: Tentative Marin County meet date...