Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Just installed: 11psi pulley on Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 07:51 PM
gspot35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed: 11psi pulley on Vortech

Check the link out at G35 Driver

Link
Old 09-22-2004, 08:07 PM
esemes

ingenious.....

i am glad 2 hear you are taking it to the n3xt level....

maybe an extra tooth on the cogg'r would help offet the aparent loss/drop?? (not the answer to it though)

i wanna see dyno reports!

you thinking of going to sam?

eddit*** the pulley is the 287, not 11psi (i was schooled on this awhile back...lol) vortech hjas no "psi" rated pulleys anymore..... (just odd-fitting diameter ones)
Old 09-22-2004, 08:36 PM
IceY2K1Max

Man...all that?

Maxima guys have been doing the same thing but with just a BOV, ie loosening it so it bleeds off max boost which allows you to run a smaller pulley and get more low/mid range boost.

Great idea, but looks like a lot of work/$ for what a cheap BOV could do?
Old 09-23-2004, 05:07 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craig...I believe its just the WG opening and the boost drops and then it closes and starts to build again . You lose 2psi every time it opens . I looked at the ones you sent me too . Think we need to find a way to keep it from bleeding off so much boost . Higher spring and use the conrtoler ? The run with just spring looks better than others .....Bill
Old 09-23-2004, 05:28 AM
gspot35

I'm wondering if just the boost controller would do the trick....it's only compressed air, not exhaust.

Originally posted by booger
Craig...I believe its just the WG opening and the boost drops and then it closes and starts to build again . You lose 2psi every time it opens . I looked at the ones you sent me too . Think we need to find a way to keep it from bleeding off so much boost . Higher spring and use the conrtoler ? The run with just spring looks better than others .....Bill
Old 09-23-2004, 08:29 AM
IceY2K1Max

EBC? Talk about overkill....you need to use the BOV and forget about the WG and especially the BC.

WG are meant to operate at HIGH exhaust manifold pressures...at least 2-3x what the intake charge is. You are "dumping" WAAAY too much air, when you need to be just "leaking" some.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:25 AM
CaneZMD

Hey Ice, since you've obviously done this with the bov, tell us how?

You maxima guys have alot of experience with this, so tell us specifically how we get our bov to let off pressure after, say 8 psi.
Can we use the standard vortech or do we need a different bov?
Please explain a little.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:40 AM
IceY2K1Max

NO, I haven't done this, however it's pretty common among SC guys. I *WILL* find out more, but I'm 99% sure they use whatever BOV comes with the Stillen/Vortech SC kit for Maximas, I think it's a Blitz or HKS. They just loosen(back out) the preload bolt until it begins to open at say 8psi, so as you spin the SC faster and it produces more boost, any excess is just vented. Depending on where your MAF is located, you might need to recirc that metered vented air.

They run the smallest pulley possible to get boost as soon as possible while keeping the max impeller speed below 53,000rpm, IIRC.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:42 AM
IceY2K1Max

Here are pictures of one type of BOV used to bleed of excess boost:

Here is his webpage:
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=260562
Old 09-23-2004, 11:54 AM
gspot35

Look guys, there is no EBC, it's a $70 manual boost controller with an allen set screw. The wastegate was lying around my buddies shop. The whole think with boost controller, waste gate, and all piping and fittings cost me $300 total to try something new, if not to you then new to several other people. You have info for a better, PROVEN way, share it.

Will it still be overkill when the blower spits out 16psi?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IceY2K1Max
[B]EBC? Talk about overkill....you need to use the BOV and forget about the WG and especially the BC.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:15 PM
booger

Just thinking about it ..are BOV would be to strong for this . Mine was backed off like 9 or 10 threads and it didnt leak at 8 psi . It just closed later . If we were to use a BOV for this application ....we need to call a manufacturer of BOV's and ask them what spring rate would start to leak at 7 or 8 lb's .That way we would have room in the adjustment screw to adjust to the right psi we wanted......any thoughts ?
Old 09-23-2004, 12:21 PM
MIAPLAYA

Just thinking about it ..are BOV would be to strong for this . Mine was backed off like 9 or 10 threads and it didnt leak at 8 psi . It just closed later . If we were to use a BOV for this application ....we need to call a manufacturer of BOV's and ask them what spring rate would start to leak at 7 or 8 lb's .That way we would have room in the adjustment screw to adjust to the right psi we wanted......any thoughts ?
Hey booger isn't ironic we were just discussing this...
Old 09-23-2004, 01:42 PM
booger

Gspot35 and I have been talking about it for a few days . He is being the brave one and trying it first . I think running a second BOV is very do able and finding the right spring to put in that BOV is going to be the hard part . When we get it to work properly , I think we will see good gains down lower in the rpm range ....Bill
Old 09-23-2004, 01:43 PM
IceY2K1Max

Yes, that is true. I think it depends on the BOV. You can also bleed off boost pressure to the BOV vacuum line, but that could cause idle issues.

You can either find a similar softer spring(Autostore, Home Depot, or BOV manufacturer), or *ATTEMPT* to trim one spring coil off at a time until it works with the screw adjuster. You can also try just removing the spring and leaving the plunger or remove both, but that could bleed off boost in low/mid range where you don't want too.

I'm still looking, but at least one person found a softer spring.

Old 09-23-2004, 02:04 PM
IceY2K1Max

16psi is unlikely.

13-14psi at the manifold seems to be the V2 limit, Vortech claims 20psi at the discharge point not including pressure losses. People are overspinning the V2 with 3" discharge piping, 70mm TB and port matched manifold, 70+mm Z32 MAF, and maybe seeing 14psi. The BOV method works for them.

Originally posted by gspot35
[B]Look guys, there is no EBC, it's a $70 manual boost controller with an allen set screw. The wastegate was lying around my buddies shop. The whole think with boost controller, waste gate, and all piping and fittings cost me $300 total to try something new, if not to you then new to several other people. You have info for a better, PROVEN way, share it.

Will it still be overkill when the blower spits out 16psi?

Last edited by IceY2K1Max; 09-23-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:16 PM
gspot35

Originally posted by IceY2K1Max
16psi is unlikely.

13-14psi at the manifold seems to be the V2 limit, Vortech claims 20psi at the discharge point not including pressure losses. People are overspinning the V2 with 3" discharge piping and maybe seeing 14psi. The BOV method works for them.
16psi at the blower, but only 8psi in the manifold is doable, don't you agree. I'm not looking to make max boost, just would like to make more boost happen earlier in the revs.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:22 PM
IceY2K1Max

Can you guys tell me

Crank pulley diameter?

Supercharger cog pulley in teeth?

Jack shaft cog pulley in teeth?

Jack shaft serpentine pulley in diameter?

Jeeeeeez...that's a lot more crap to plug in to get your impeller speed. I'll start searching, if it works, but I thought you could help.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:05 PM
booger

Ive done the impeller speed calculater , cant rember all the diameters and teeth count , but we will max the blower out with the 2.87 serp pulley , But some one talk to Steve [ I think esseme ...Scott ] and said it had more in it than posted on the Vortech web site . Do you think if your exceding the blower max rpm....when bleeding off the excess , will it put less stress on the blower than if we were trying to get all the boost to the motor ?
Old 09-23-2004, 03:25 PM
IceY2K1Max

I doubt that's less stressful, but don't know honestly.

Max guys have run past the recommeded max impeller limits for short 1/4-mile times and it didn't grenade or anything. I think it probably just trashes the bearings and has a premature death. Many have rebuilt and it's a PITA to work with Vortech.

Once you guys work down/up to the 2.87 and want more, we need to convince Vortech(you guys are probably more convincing) to allow trade-in of the V2 SC-trim for the V2 SQ E-trim.

The V2 SQ E-trim is good for 65Krpm(vs. 53K) and 26psi(vs. 20psi).

Ive done the impeller speed calculater , cant rember all the diameters and teeth count , but we will max the blower out with the 2.87 serp pulley , But some one talk to Steve [ I think esseme ...Scott ] and said it had more in it than posted on the Vortech web site . Do you think if your exceding the blower max rpm....when bleeding off the excess , will it put less stress on the blower than if we were trying to get all the boost to the motor ?
Old 09-23-2004, 03:36 PM
booger

I think the V2 SQ E is the same as ours...just better bearings....Vortech said this could be done with a blower rebuild to increase blower rpm

Quick Reply: Just installed: 11psi pulley on Vortech