Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Pulstar plugs?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 PM
350Zrida

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...sooooo wassup with the plugs?? Any updates? Or does anyone know anything about these plugs??
Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 AM
App6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was gonna post about these a month or so ago but figured that you guys would me just because that's what happens on here
Old 01-04-2008, 06:44 AM
ke0ki2k

OEY! Gabez. got em in yet?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:26 PM
mega_boi

saw these in a magazine about a week ago.

kinda reminded me of that "TURBONATOR" thing that cost $69.99.

seems silly, if they really did work so much better than conventional spark plugs, then why would they need to advertise in a magazine?

if someone found a cure for cancer, i can tell you right now that they won't try to sell the cure by advertising in readers digest.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:10 PM
350Zrida

...excerpt from the autochannel.com
Pulstar holds eight U.S. and foreign patents. Internal tests conducted by Enerpulse using an actual driving cycle demonstrated a nearly 9 percent improvement in fuel efficiency. Results from the industry-recognized dynamometer test to determine torque and horsepower output showed a 4-10 percent improvement in torque and a 3-12 percent improvement in horsepower output over spark plugs.

Actual driving tests conducted under the Enerpulse Performance Evaluation Procedure demonstrate fuel economy benefits between 2.2 and 10.5%, depending mostly on engine displacement. Large bore SUV and light duty truck engines (V8s) respond more dramatically to Pulstar than small bore engines, which benefit from a significant improvement in torque.

full article... http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...15/071190.html

...excerpt from offroaders.com
Tests at an independent laboratory demonstrated how Pulstar™ pulse plugs burn fuel faster and more efficiently than spark plugs. In a high-speed video on the companies website, which was shot at 68,000 frames per second, you can actually see the ignition plume of Pulstar™ growing at more than twice the speed of the spark plug. Pulstar™ generates a much larger spark than spark plugs, which reduces overall burn time and burns the fuel more completely. This faster fuel burn increases cylinder pressure by as much as 10% allowing the engine to generate the same power with less fuel resulting in better fuel economy.

CAUTION: Pulstar™ model recommendations are for stock, unmodified engines. If you have added an aftermarket turbocharger, supercharger, nitrous or any other product that increases displacement or compression to your engine you will require a colder heat range pulse plug in order to avoid possible damage to your engine.

full article... http://www.offroaders.com/directory/...Pulse-Plug.htm

nicoclub.com forum on these plugs...
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothrea...postid=3279228
Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by gabez33
Has anyone ever heard of these alternatives to spark plugs?? Anyone tried them out yet? I came across an article about them in popular mechanics praising them like GODS

http://www.pulstarplug.com/
gimmick plugs come and go,but fresh coppers are the choice to make.usually they project the tip for improved flame propagation and claim their magic electrode is the cause..note the recommendation for a colder plug with mods?smells like a projected tip or smaller ceramic to me.it's the same results if you went one range hotter with copper.save your money....magazine articles touting miracle parts are usually followed by a full page ad.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:14 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by gabez33
OK, ordered, should be here by friday, $149.70
if possible, do a before and after dyno with the while on the dyno. i'm pretty sure u can find a deeply discounted (or maybe even free) rate at some local shop because they would prolly wanna see if there is any difference also
Old 01-14-2008, 09:25 AM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by warmmilk
if possible, do a before and after dyno with the while on the dyno. i'm pretty sure u can find a deeply discounted (or maybe even free) rate at some local shop because they would prolly wanna see if there is any difference also
That guy posted that back on 07-24-2007...

He still logs on, was last on 1-11-2008. But no update to this thread. Someone PM this guy and make him post what happened or

Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$150 is a lot of money for some plugs.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:56 PM
undrgnd

Hey guys,
I was rather doubtful of the claims made on this gadget, so I wrote the manufacturer. Here's my email, their response, and the attachments they sent me. I know no more about this than you can read below, and I can't answer any questions on the dyno charts, nor am I endorsing this product. I have not decided whether I will be buying a set either.

Al
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 12:56 PM
To: info@enerpulse.com
Subject: Pulstar Questions

I am considering the Pulstars for my 2005 350Z, and I would like to purchase a set for evaluation. I have a couple of points I need clarification on:

1. Why are Pulstars so much more expensive than spark plugs?
2. Is 50,000 miles the recommended replacement interval for the Pulstars?
3. What are the electrode materials?
4. How do you calculate the 1MW rating? The best I can tell, the flame
front propagates twice as fast as with the spark plug, and since
Power=Energy/Time, how do you get 1MW?
5. For any particular application, are the Pulstars a hotter plug, so should I be ordering one step colder?
6. Did you do a before and after dyno test of any vehicle with the Pulstars? Could you please point me to the chart?

Thanks

Al,
Thank you for the questions and the opportunity to answer your concerns
firsthand.

1. Pulstars are significantly more difficult to manufacture as they cannot
be produced on a spark plug production line and are made with very different
ceramics and internal components.

2. In our experience with Pulstars, in normal operation, 50K miles is our
estimate. We ran a Toyota Corolla S and a Mercury Grand Marquis for 50K
miles over a 100 day period and the pulseplugs were still operating
normally.

3. The electrodes are inconel/copper core small wire.

4. The 1 megawatt comes from the actual measurement by Sandia National
Laboratories of the discharge current at voltage. I have attached the peak
power formulafor calculating the peak power based on the voltage and
measured current.

5. Heat range is the ability of the plug to percolate off unburned fuel. The
Pulstar has an equivalent heat range of 5-7 NGK value.

6. We have any number of dyno runs wo/w Pulstar. I have attached some
performed for DSport magazine. Their article is due out in the March issue.
Take note of the G35 test - Pulstar is red, stock was a new Iridium plug

If you have any more questions please direct them to me.

Lou Camilli

Old 01-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't seem worth it to me. Might work similarly to the HKS DLII or whatever

those dynos are suspect (run 5 versus run 14)

and 500 amps on every single spark does not seem possible ... sounds like BS calculation.

The starter for our motors, sure--- that might use 300-400 amps, but I seriously doubt their plugs are drawing 500 amps each spark

they say 10,000 volts and then they use 5 volts in the calculation. that is a large difference.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 01-14-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:00 PM
undrgnd

I'm confused about the calculation and the 1.25MW number, as well as the dynos, but the man offered to answer any other questions I had. I do have an advanced degree in EE, and I still don't get it. I don't think I'm going to jump into this yet. Did gabez33 ever buy a set?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:07 PM
warmmilk

check out the nico link from 350Zrida's post, there is a link in that link to takes u to a dyno test between this and a bunch of other spark plugs on a stock SRT4 done by an independent shop. condering the results, its not worth it to me

nvm all the link confusion, here it is:
http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug4...fid=0&KID=3095
Old 01-14-2008, 03:47 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
check out the nico link from 350Zrida's post, there is a link in that link to takes u to a dyno test between this and a bunch of other spark plugs on a stock SRT4 done by an independent shop. condering the results, its not worth it to me

nvm all the link confusion, here it is:
http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug4...fid=0&KID=3095
Especially when the NGK iridiums in that test produced the most consistent numbers. And those are like $6 a piece.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/glossaryImage.asp?imgID=499

Last edited by jonnylaw; 01-14-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Especially when the NGK iridiums in that test produced the most consistent numbers. And those are like $6 a piece.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/glossaryImage.asp?imgID=499

didn't that guy ever hear of using GRAPHS to display comparative data?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:05 PM
undrgnd

After looking at the graphs on that website, I'm going to have a really hard time letting go of my Denso iridiums for the Pulstars ($150. for 0.4hp, or 0.2%). I could lose 5lb and have the same improvement in ET as gaining that 0.2% (0.6hp), and it will be FREE! Yea, not worth the money.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:09 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by undrgnd
After looking at the graphs on that website, I'm going to have a really hard time letting go of my Denso iridiums for the Pulstars ($150. for 0.4hp, or 0.2%). I could lose 5lb and have the same improvement in ET as gaining that 0.2% (0.6hp), and it will be FREE! Yea, not worth the money.
*note to self, take a nice long crap before going drag racing
Old 01-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Modified Dave

Just tested these for Modified Mag and was shocked by the results. We put SG Motorsports very low mileage (1200 miles) 2006 350Z Roadster on U2Ndyno.com's Dynapack hub dyno with the stock spark plugs plus a SG cold air intake and cat-back exhaust and it made a peak of 237whp after three consecutive pulls. We then installed the Pulstar plugs and made a peak of 250whp after three consecutive pulls. Will post the graph once I'm back in the office next week.

Given these results we're going to test them on a bunch of other engines including my '06 G35 coupe so that we can verify the gains. If these kinds of gains are consistent, then these plugs are a serious bargain at $25/each.

Believe me, I was very skeptical when reading the claims from Pulstar but after testing them out on SG's '06 Z roadster, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor and reassess what it is these spark plugs are doing differently. Will be publishing these results and a tech story about the plugs in the April issue of the mag.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:14 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Modified Dave
Just tested these for Modified Mag and was shocked by the results. We put SG Motorsports very low mileage (1200 miles) 2006 350Z Roadster on U2Ndyno.com's Dynapack hub dyno with the stock spark plugs plus a SG cold air intake and cat-back exhaust and it made a peak of 237whp after three consecutive pulls. We then installed the Pulstar plugs and made a peak of 250whp after three consecutive pulls. Will post the graph once I'm back in the office next week.

Given these results we're going to test them on a bunch of other engines including my '06 G35 coupe so that we can verify the gains. If these kinds of gains are consistent, then these plugs are a serious bargain at $25/each.

Believe me, I was very skeptical when reading the claims from Pulstar but after testing them out on SG's '06 Z roadster, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor and reassess what it is these spark plugs are doing differently. Will be publishing these results and a tech story about the plugs in the April issue of the mag.
1st post?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:20 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by Modified Dave

maybe you could test o.e. plugs new and one range hotter,that would be interesting.also maybe dyno the pulstar's first.did you compare gap between the two plugs?

Quick Reply: Pulstar plugs?!