Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Utec - where are all the great reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Utec - where are all the great reviews?

Reading all the posts leading up to the release of the utec, I would have thought we would be seeing a flood of great reviews of it in these FI sections. I have been disappointed to only see a thread now and again about someone running it.

I am looking for a new EMS to pick up the few ponies I left on table, due to not being able to have complete control over my fuel/injector settings(50-75 hp). I am waiting on my tuner to get their two shop cars up and running on the utec, so in the end, his advise will reign supreme, but I would still like some background info from those that are running one on their greddy, APS, or other TT kit.

From what I have read, and what I have been told is the Utec has been subject to one update after another - meaning, a tuner will come across one issue after another during tuning and will have to repeatedly get updates in order to overcome them. Sounds like an early to market product, but maybe I am mistaken.

I know I have read of someone's success of getting the utec to run with the APS supplied boost solenoid, and would like to know if this is just an isolated case and if so, what are people running for a boost controller?

The price is about right for what I would be looking to do. I just have concern that we all read numerous posts about how great the new upcoming utec for the Z was going to be. Now it has been on the market for a few months and relatively speaking, we haven't heard much.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:03 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been running it with the PE TT kit since Christmas. It works. Don't know about all the updates, there is only one flash update available on the website. Only issue I have had is that when it got cold (around 15 -20 degrees F) it threw a SES light for being rich. This is after the car was warm and while crusing to work at around 50 mph or so. A reset of the code and the problem went away until the next time it was cold. I am using the TurboXS dual stage boost control, 6 and 9 psi. It is not used "in conjunction with" the UTEC, rather it is a stand alone manual BC. I do agree we heard of many very cool features and free software updates, to date I have heard little or nothing about those cool features in actual daily use, and the last update was December 14th, 2005, just before mine was installed.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:00 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I only know of a single update to date also. I have had no issues with it nor did the tuner hit any snags when tuning.

TurboXS is sort of known for promising features that they never get to though. Hopefully the Z UTEC will be different and we will see some of the other cool features soon (no lift to shift etc).
Old 04-25-2006, 11:10 AM
gringott

Originally Posted by 35ounces
FWIW I only know of a single update to date also. I have had no issues with it nor did the tuner hit any snags when tuning.

TurboXS is sort of known for promising features that they never get to though. Hopefully the Z UTEC will be different and we will see some of the other cool features soon (no lift to shift etc).
Vaporware, I guess, in this case gasoline vapors.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish my customers were more vocal on the boards. I think I have tuned about 20 FI UTEC's, and all with very nice results. The more I use it, the more I like it. Granted, it has a few bugs and quirks, but so does every other engine management system out there. None of the bugs are unsafe in any way....just minor things. One thing I LOVE about the UTEC, is the super smooth power and trq curves. You are no longer "fighting" the stock ECU, ala eManage or Unichip. It does take longer to tune, but the results are phenominal, and very SAFE.

Until the AEM EMS is put through the torture tests, the UTEC is my new favorite EMS.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:10 PM
KTaylor

like sharif said it has a few bugs they are working out but aside from that its not too difficult and works great.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

My car was the first one to run the UTEC on a F/I application and my car ran fine till I cracked an APS manifold on my turbo kit.. SO I sent the heads out to get ported and polished and some new cams and some other goodies to push us well intot he big HP numbers, and we plan on running the UTEC the whole time, the datalogging features make it so easy to tune IMO and the updates are always free.As of now, all of my UTEC customers are running software version 2.7. What alot of guys dont do when they tune the UTEC, which is what I think alot of the problems are stemming from is enter the correct tempature compensation values.Which would make your car run a little inconsistant if you live in an area of changing climate.
Me personally having over 6 months experience tuning the UTEC on the prototype units, have had zero issues in tunning any vehicle equipoed with a UTEC to date.. I love it and cant wait to see the updates and features as they add them..
Old 04-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have been trying to promote it. i love it and thinks it works perfect in a lot of different scenarios.

easy as hell to tune once you figure it out and have no problems with it at all...
Old 04-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Bullitproof

i think i'm gonna like the utec, but for right now the jury is out. my car is sitting at the shop because of a fuel issue.we changed out the cams and the piggyback from unichip to utec. not sure which one is the culprit yet. hopefully its something minor and will be corrected soon. i've heard how utec is superior to the unichip for a while now. so whats up with those updates anyway?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:15 PM
davewo

As of yet, I have not heard any success with using the utec boost control with the APS TT. It definitely won't control the APS solenoid. The initial success from other reports turned to be flops. If anyone has actually used a compatible solenoid on the APS TT and controlled by UTEC maps, please post. I have a very competent tuner and he's still waiting for an answer from Turboxs.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:25 PM
gringott

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
My car was the first one to run the UTEC on a F/I application and my car ran fine till I cracked an APS manifold on my turbo kit.. SO I sent the heads out to get ported and polished and some new cams and some other goodies to push us well intot he big HP numbers, and we plan on running the UTEC the whole time, the datalogging features make it so easy to tune IMO and the updates are always free.As of now, all of my UTEC customers are running software version 2.7. What alot of guys dont do when they tune the UTEC, which is what I think alot of the problems are stemming from is enter the correct tempature compensation values.Which would make your car run a little inconsistant if you live in an area of changing climate.
Me personally having over 6 months experience tuning the UTEC on the prototype units, have had zero issues in tunning any vehicle equipoed with a UTEC to date.. I love it and cant wait to see the updates and features as they add them..
In colder weather I throw a SES for too rich. I wondered if it could be the tempurature compensation settings. I have not checked the version of the software in my UTEC, I will do, however the version posted on TXS website is 2.3 and hasn't changed since I have had my UTEC. Why is there a 2.7 version out there that is not available to the customers? Seems odd.

MRC - what should the temp compensation values be??

Last edited by gringott; 04-26-2006 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:14 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by davewo
As of yet, I have not heard any success with using the utec boost control with the APS TT. It definitely won't control the APS solenoid. The initial success from other reports turned to be flops. If anyone has actually used a compatible solenoid on the APS TT and controlled by UTEC maps, please post. I have a very competent tuner and he's still waiting for an answer from Turboxs.
THE APS BCS is a pos and does not work properly with the UTEC..I have a TX BCS I am experimenting with soon as my car is back together.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:17 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by gringott
In colder weather I throw a SES for too rich. I wondered if it could be the tempurature compensation settings. I have not checked the version of the software in my UTEC, I will do, however the version posted on TXS website is 2.3 and hasn't changed since I have had my UTEC. Why is there a 2.7 version out there that is not available to the customers? Seems odd.
The 2.7 is prototype software.Jermaine uses me a s his test monkey, since I have the most experience tunning the 350Z UTECs than anyone else on this board.
The problem is probably your temp correction settings were not set properly or at all on the day of tune..There is a spereadsheet you need to enter the day of tune tepature in, and it gives you the proper Temp correction settings for that day.Call me at the shop if you need futehr assistance, I can get you the temp setting if you remember the air intake temp on the day of tune..
Old 04-26-2006, 06:23 AM
gringott

It was around 55 degrees F and damp.

BTW, I am going to do some changes in the next couple of months, and will need a new tune. Seriously considering going with water/methonal injection and a new IM, I am stock now. Since TXS has not recommended anyone around me, (Kentucky) I am stuck going out of state - seems you and sharif have the most experience, at least what I know of. My tune is good - AAM gave me a good conservative tune - it has been safe, even when my boost controller failed and overboosted. I think the UTEC is great, very happy with it. Just would like to get a few more horses for my money.

Last edited by gringott; 04-26-2006 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2.7 is prototype software.Jermaine uses me a s his test monkey, since I have the most experience tunning the 350Z UTECs than anyone else on this board.
The problem is probably your temp correction settings were not set properly or at all on the day of tune..There is a spereadsheet you need to enter the day of tune tepature in, and it gives you the proper Temp correction settings for that day.Call me at the shop if you need futehr assistance, I can get you the temp setting if you remember the air intake temp on the day of tune..
hey would you please pm me the spreadsheet if its not too top secret

thanks bro. i will be retuning my utec as soon as i get my tuner wb back...

thanks again
Old 04-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by gringott
It was around 55 degrees F and damp.

BTW, I am going to do some changes in the next couple of months, and will need a new tune. Seriously considering going with water/methonal injection and a new IM, I am stock now. Since TXS has not recommended anyone around me, (Kentucky) I am stuck going out of state - seems you and sharif have the most experience, at least what I know of. My tune is good - AAM gave me a good conservative tune - it has been safe, even when my boost controller failed and overboosted. I think the UTEC is great, very happy with it. Just would like to get a few more horses for my money.
When the tuner tunes the car, in the Dashboard section of the UTEC it will display an intake air temp in Celcius. This is the number you need to plug in for the day of tune for the temp correction figures.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
hey would you please pm me the spreadsheet if its not too top secret

thanks bro. i will be retuning my utec as soon as i get my tuner wb back...

thanks again
PM me your email.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most people in the Z market don't self tune, so they have no real interaction with the unit directly
Old 04-26-2006, 07:44 AM
gringott

When the tuner tunes the car, in the Dashboard section of the UTEC it will display an intake air temp in Celcius. This is the number you need to plug in for the day of tune for the temp correction figures.

I obviously don't have that, but when I retune I will ensure the tuner does this. I am afraid to tune myself, I just don't have the experience, would rather pay and get it done correctly. The problem is, that it is very easy to pay and get it done incorrectly, from UTEC to body kits. That is everyone's No 1 concern as reflected on this forum.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:52 AM
marks350Z

Well... my experiance with the UTEC has not been the greatest. My car has a built motor with cams and geddy TT. The UTEC works pretty good under 6 psi of boost...it pulls hard, but bucks slightly...that is something I can live with. Over 7 psi and around 4000 rpm the fuel will cut and the Car will fall on it's face. Jermaine has been helpful at Turbo XS and Julian sent the new 2.7 to my shop but that did not seem to help...thanks for all of your help Anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Utec - where are all the great reviews?