Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Driveshaft question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 09:58 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft question.

Ok, its not so much a question as it is a carification. From what i gather, the stock driveshafts brake up at around 400whp, but only really if you put drag radials or slicks on their, and you take the car to the drag strip. So i'm looking at only going as wide as 285 in the rear with some toyo T1R, theoretically i should be safe to run the stock driveshafts? I also understand about the "shock" factor on the shaft, but i'm not the kind of person that goes around dumping the clutch all the time.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:04 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power has nothing to do with halfshafts snapping. I snapped a stock halfshaft @ 256whp on slicks. I replaced it with another stocker and since then have added 200whp to my car and haven't broken another one. Halfshafts snap because of SHOCK. If you dump the clutch on ANY Z with heated up sticky tires, you'll have a very good chance of snapping a halfshaft.

That's being said, you'll pretty much never break one with street tires.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:19 AM
barthelb
Master

Exactly, also like Bri mentioned its the halfshaft and not the driveshaft,try not to confuse the two because the way the driveshaft looks I don't know what kind of power will break that. Ive done numerous 4500rpm-5k launches and luckily im still in one piece.

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Power has nothing to do with halfshafts snapping. I snapped a stock halfshaft @ 256whp on slicks. I replaced it with another stocker and since then have added 200whp to my car and haven't broken another one. Halfshafts snap because of SHOCK. If you dump the clutch on ANY Z with heated up sticky tires, you'll have a very good chance of snapping a halfshaft.

That's being said, you'll pretty much never break one with street tires.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Thanks guys. Sorry about the translation, here we call the drivashaft what you call the halfshaft, and the propshaft what you call the driveshaft. Thanks any guys!!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its actually the "axle". The drive shaft is the long shaft the connects from your transmission to your differential carrier.

That said, with enough time, even stock axles will gradually fatigue and break. Shock, but also trq on the axle creates a gradually twist/release to the shaft, and with enough fatigue, they will break with time.

At 400whp, I would run the stockers until you break them...them upgrade to Level 2 DSS axles:
Old 03-31-2006, 11:30 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

That´s what i had in mind. At least that way i´ll have ans excuse to get them!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:27 PM
schweatty

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Its actually the "axle". The drive shaft is the long shaft the connects from your transmission to your differential carrier.

That said, with enough time, even stock axles will gradually fatigue and break. Shock, but also trq on the axle creates a gradually twist/release to the shaft, and with enough fatigue, they will break with time.

At 400whp, I would run the stockers until you break them...them upgrade to Level 2 DSS axles:
exactly... i always thought half-shafts were an all-wheel-drive thing.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:36 PM
barthelb
Master

So they are axles then, dammit. Oh well at least we know what eachother is saying even tho we all have different terminology. hahah