Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

** NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD ** long awaited, with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 02:40 PM
lsdunique

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ** NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD ** long awaited, with pics

Hey everyone, well here is our long awaited project, our new complete intake manifold.

Some may remembers pics of an all aluminum manifold from over a year ago, well there have been many reasons it has taken this long. This project has been very difficult, with many failed prototypes.

The following pictures are of our prototype, which will be VERY similar to the full production version, which we should have pics within 2 weeks. This prototype has a coating on it, while the production version will initially only be offered in a full polished product.

There is a long standing board member who has done independant testing with FI, who will be posting within the next couple days with impressions, graphs, etc. The numbers will speak for themselves.

This manifold clearly shines with FI, but will also give great high rpm gains with NA. We are still awaiting final testing numbers with NA, and are also testing it with increased REV limit up to 7100, as the car continues to pull past 6500rpm with this new manifold. Also expect increased throttle response, as it is a much more efficient design.

The factory upper and lower plenum have several flaws in their design, we believe mainly because of space and location limitations. The factory design has air flow coming first over the top, running over many turbulent spots in the lower plenum. Then the air must turn direction again before going into the intake runners. We feel our design has all smooth transitions for a more efficient design. We also use slightly larger and slightly shorter runners to gain hp up top with very minimal losses below 4k rpm. The manifold also features internal velocity stack inlets for each runner, increasing air flow.

*This manifold WILL clear the factory strut bar and most (possibly all) aftermarket strut bars.
*factory engine cover will NOT work with this manifold, however we are currently developing an AWESOME engine cover to complement the manifold

** major change from the previous versions is that this manifold is actually made from stainless steel, not aluminum. We had several reasons for doing this, and think that it offers the best product for you guys.

- Stainless steel conducts about 13 times less heat than aluminum!!! - this means far less heat soak, and cooler intake temps
- We are able to achieve a a better and more durable polished finish on stainless.
- Space is LIMITED under that hood, especially since it clears the strut bar, and we are able to use thinner material in sections, maximizing plenum volume.
- Stainless was not used as any type of cost cutting, as it is considerably more expensive.

AVAILABILITY, this is not a teaser post, we are already in the process of completing the first batch, we will most likely be running a group buy once we have pics of the polished product. This should be within 2 weeks. Pricing will be in the $700-800 range, which we think will be VERY competitive, especially considering the difficulty of fabrication.

This is just the first post, so please ask any questions, as I am sure I have not covered everything.

Last edited by lsdunique; 04-07-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice...sounds promising.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:49 PM
lsdunique

I am having trouble posting pics, sorry. Let me try something else
Old 04-07-2005, 02:59 PM
zachcrosen

Hurry Robert. Gotta see pix. I have been awaiting this info for a while. Do you have someone who is running/organizing the GB? Id love to do it for you guys again!! You said prices are in the $700-800 range. I know you have mentioned in the past that you will accept trade-ins of your plastic plenum on the purchase of this plenum. With that in mind, how much would the cost be if we traded in the plastic plenum? As long as the prce isnt too steep, I gotta have this with my upcoming Vortech install! What were the gains, think you mentioned someone would provide info but do you have guestimates?

Cant wait to see pix.

Zach
Old 04-07-2005, 03:03 PM
lsdunique

We have not decided yet on whether we will offer a trade-in. Right now the answer is NO, but only because we want to finalize NA numbers, etc.

You did a great job on the group buy last time Zach, so maybe there is something we can work out. We like having members host our group buys and helping them out in the process.

When I try to add an attachment, it says I am over my quota for attachments? the system has changed since I last posted pics of anything
Old 04-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

If you don't have a solution to post the pics by tomorrow morning, I can host them (haven't setup the hosting account yet).
Old 04-07-2005, 03:20 PM
GY-Z

good news, guess you guys are little bite ahead of ppl in 350evo
cant wait for #s on N/A setup.
edit: wiat, is this the complet intake manifield or just the upper part?

Last edited by GY-Z; 04-07-2005 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:20 PM
o snap its eric

i want to see how much TQ we loose down low.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:27 PM
schweatty

pics??
Old 04-07-2005, 03:34 PM
lsdunique

I think you will be surprised at the numbers. We think most of our gains come from making the design more efficient and free flowing. You can also change the hp curve with runner diameters and lengths, but we only changed those marginally, we think we just have made a better design. So we arent necessarilly sacrificing low end for high end.

In FI those differences in design really start to show themselves as more air is forced through. In FI testing the manifold lost NO power/torque at any point in the rpm range.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:35 PM
lsdunique

if someone will let me email them the pic and they can post it on this thread I will email them asap.

I must be dumb, because I cant figure this out
Old 04-07-2005, 03:36 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by lsdunique
if someone will let me email them the pic and they can post it on this thread I will email them asap.

I must be dumb, because I cant figure this out
Send them over & I will host them for you

- James

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 04-07-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:37 PM
SungNamZ

[QUOTE=lsdunique]Hey everyone, well here is our long awaited project, our new complete intake manifold.

There is a long standing board member who has done independant testing with FI, who will be posting within the next couple days with impressions, graphs, etc. The numbers will speak for themselves.

It has been a "long awaited project" for lsdunique and for this "long standing board member", difficult to keep pics and numbers to myself. I will start a "Thread" in hopes of taking some pressure off lsdunique so he can focus on fabrication and polishing. The "INTAKE MANIFOLD" and the "independant testing" has been an awesome experience. I must thank lsdunique for affording me the opportunity! Here is a pic...

Old 04-07-2005, 03:41 PM
zman1910

Forgive me for being retarded but does this basically replace the upper and lower plenum? What material is this made out of?
Old 04-07-2005, 03:41 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Well, guess someone beat me to it. Looks good! Can't wait to see the final version.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Cbr

damnit, just when i purchase my V4, they come out with a whole new plenum .....oh well, i'll have to add it to the list
Old 04-07-2005, 03:45 PM
lsdunique

yes, this replaces both upper and lower factory plenums.

It is made out of stainless steel, and the final product will be polished, we will have some pics of the polished ones next week.

I am going to away from the computer until later tonight, but I will be monitoring this thread and SungnamZ's thread very closely.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2005, 03:49 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by zman1910
Forgive me for being retarded but does this basically replace the upper and lower plenum? What material is this made out of?
It does replace the "upper and lower plenum"! The pic is the "prototype" I was testing. The finished product will be "polished stainless steel".
Old 04-07-2005, 04:15 PM
G3po

Default plenum

[QUOTE=SungNamZ]
Originally Posted by lsdunique
Hey everyone, well here is our long awaited project, our new complete intake manifold.

It has been a "long awaited project" for lsdunique and for this "long standing board member", difficult to keep pics and numbers to myself. I will start a "Thread" in hopes of taking some pressure off lsdunique so he can focus on fabrication and polishing. The "INTAKE MANIFOLD" and the "independant testing" has been an awesome experience. I must thank lsdunique for affording me the opportunity! Here is a pic...

Now all the sucker needs is 6 new aux injector ports
Old 04-07-2005, 04:16 PM
002-M-P

Looking great guys...can't wait to see the numbers (I'm guessing this is on your Vortech kit SungNamZ).

Quick Reply: ** NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD ** long awaited, with pics